PDA

View Full Version : Solitaire play

DGH
04-18-2016, 00:30
Hi guys,

I've noticed that there were some threads in the past about people looking for apps and suchto assist in solitaire play. Has there been any development on this since I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Cheers,

Daan

KDz
04-18-2016, 00:59
Welcome to the Anchorage Daan :salute:
From what I know, there is nothing new in the topic :sad:
I wait until someone with a bigger idea to the programming embrace the subject. Especially in the version for android. X-wing is full of such apps.

Naharaht
04-18-2016, 02:01
Welcome to the Anchorage, Daan. Like Kamil, I do not know of an app or computer program to aid in solitary play but someone may be working on one. What are available are paper based systems for solo play. Here is a link to one available in the Files section of this site: http://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=84

There is another system of solo rules called the 'Powder Monkey rules'. Here is a link for those: http://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=144

If you go to the Welcome Aboard section of the Forum and post a message introducing yourself, many other people will welcome you here. People here are very friendly and helpful.

Dr.Maturin
04-18-2016, 03:52
Welcome aboard Daan.
Glad to see that the Dutch division is growing apace.
Sorry can't help with an app though.

DGH
04-18-2016, 05:02
Hi guys,

The people are indeed warm to welcome.
The reason I am asking is because I am busy coding a system like that for Wing of War/Glory. I would be interested in making one for SoG since there is much more to the game than just manoeuvring. It would pose an interesting challenge to code into the AI the many factors that determine the "crew actions".

Would this community be interested in such a thing? It would be browser based for mobile devices. By making it browser based it's multiplatform.

Cheers,

Daan

KDz
04-18-2016, 05:18
If you were able to do this, you will definitely find a lot of people on this forum who will gladly buy you a glass of your favorite liquid :beer:

DGH
04-18-2016, 05:26
Thats cool, first I want to finnish work on the WoW/G software and then I am very likely to start work on the SoG software.

BTW, I understand Spanish ships are being added. Any rumours on Dutch ships? I know the Dutch only joined in around the time Napoleon got defeated and possibly only with land forces but around the time of the Napoleonic wars the Dutch did have some scraps with the Brits at sea.
And for those of you who are interested in foreign classical naval movies I can recommend this one(despite being from before the Napoleonic wars): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2544766/

KDz
04-18-2016, 06:23
Yep, we know this movie :thumbsup: http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3879-Interesting-film&highlight=interesting+film

For the Dutch in the game, it's probably not promises to be in the coming wave, check this threat http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4003-Breaking-News-next-wave
So, they remain only repaints in this case.
:minis:

Capn Duff
04-18-2016, 06:52
Welcone Daan, there are a few of us who have asked about Dutch ships, unfortunately these are far down the line, I belive wave 3 and 4 have been designed, but we do not have any information as to content of wave4. Wave 3 is due to include Spanish 1st and 3rd rates, plus Brit and French frigates. There is a further thread which lists the content of Wave3.

As mentioned there is no electronic app or such for sails currently, I would certainly be interested in some such to assist with play.
I shall watch with interest

Nightmoss
04-18-2016, 09:55
Welcome aboard Dean. Enjoy the Anchorage.

Jonas has been working on an app for Sails of Glory. One thread was started here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2926-Tablet-based-ship-board&highlight=tablet

But I know there's other discussion elsewhere on the board.

DGH
04-18-2016, 10:59
Nice link Nightmoss, but it looks more like a helper app than a solo app. Or am I missing something.

Herkybird
04-18-2016, 11:45
Welkom aan boord Daan!

Nightmoss
04-18-2016, 12:04
Nice link Nightmoss, but it looks more like a helper app than a solo app. Or am I missing something.

You're correct. I think Jonas has been focused on a helper app. I really can't say if anyone has gone as far as working on a solo app, but I'll be first in line to get it if some enterprising person develops it. :wink:

Torrence
04-18-2016, 12:51
Hi and welcome aboard, Daan! :salute:

TexaS
04-18-2016, 13:42
Hello and welcome aboard! Especially as you are a fellow programmer I find.

We do have the full information on wave 4. It'll be a Spanish frigate, a British 64, something I forget and the merchant that at least one version will be Bonhomme Richard. I've misquoted it before that time forgetting the Spanish frigate. Ah! It came to me. It's the Tonnant-class.

Yes, the app I'm making is a helper app and not a solo app. And I'm sad to say it's a native iOS (Apple iPhone/iPad).

Hjl
04-18-2016, 17:35
I'm ever so excited about Jonas finishing this app!

DGH
04-18-2016, 22:07
Hi Jonas, glad to hear a solo app still needs to be made. I was thinking for the solo app to make it web based. Accesible to any device without any recoding and such. It is also more inline with my own experience as a (not too advanced) programmer.

TexaS
04-20-2016, 23:47
I finally started working on this again. I had problems with a bug when reloading double shot and have decided to rewrite the core to keep everything that happens in a timeline in the app.

Bad news: It will take a while.

Good news: It will make it possible to replay battles or possibly correct events.

Tordenskjold
04-21-2016, 00:58
Jonas, it is worth the waiting time. What you made so far is absolutly fantastic and when it is finish it will be used of many sailors in here:hatsoff:

DGH
04-28-2016, 03:11
Jonas, what is exactly what your app will do? Is it basically replacing all the ship consoles and basically replacing all the other stuff that happens other than the ships + manoeuvres themselves?

TexaS
04-28-2016, 09:25
You will still draw damage chits and use manoeuver cards. You just use the app to record damage, keep track of actions and remember used veer.

Basically it's just an administration tool to make the ship's log less vulnerable to bumping and easier to have readily available when walking around the gaming table. Besides, Any number of ships still just take the space of your device.

DGH
04-29-2016, 00:55
Thats a very nice addition. It will probably have some sort of tabs for each ship to cycle quickly I suppose?
Glad to know you are making this. Soon i will try to lift off a website with various game aides for different games. Good to see what is out there (or more importantly, WILL be out there) already.

TexaS
04-29-2016, 01:57
Right now it's just swiping up and down to pan over it as a list.
I was thinking of implementing a version of the quick scrolling that Iput in my app "Amazing Adventures". It's an old app with the rules for my pulp miniatures rules.

Even though you could theoretically have hundreds of ships in the app, practically you should play them yourself and playing more than perhaps five ships would be a handful and that is easy enough this way. I've used it for seven in soloplaying without problem.

Hjl
05-01-2016, 16:19
Has anyone considered doing sog by mail (forum post) Some one hosts the battle and the other person sends his orders/ card choices etc. the host then runs all the damage and takes pictures etc

Naharaht
05-02-2016, 08:53
I have played in a Wings of Glory game by normal e-mail (not forum posts). I do not think that I have heard of anyone trying to play Sails of Glory by e-mail.

Nightmoss
05-02-2016, 09:40
Has anyone considered doing sog by mail (forum post) Some one hosts the battle and the other person sends his orders/ card choices etc. the host then runs all the damage and takes pictures etc

Not email, but I think I've seen mention of playing games via Skype? Same for Wings of Glory too.

DGH
05-10-2016, 06:41
Hi guys,

It's been a while but I've started a campaign to help kickstart the creation of the software for Sails of Glory, have a look at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flyingdutchie/website-for-various-tabletop-solo-ai-and-other-gam?ref=nav_search

KDz
05-10-2016, 07:13
Hi guys,

It's been a while but I've started a campaign to help kickstart the creation of the software for Sails of Glory, have a look at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flyingdutchie/website-for-various-tabletop-solo-ai-and-other-gam?ref=nav_search

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:thumbsup:

Nightmoss
05-10-2016, 09:16
How cool is that! :thumbsup:

TWR
05-10-2016, 14:05
Right now it's just swiping up and down to pan over it as a list...
Even though you could theoretically have hundreds of ships in the app, practically you should play them yourself and playing more than perhaps five ships would be a handful and that is easy enough this way. I've used it for seven in soloplaying without problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing this when it's available. I think it could be a useful tool in larger games, especially where one player is handling several ships.

DGH
05-11-2016, 01:07
Thanks for the support guys, just remember without financial backing it will never come to fruition! I would need the physical game and good hosting space to do this.

*edit: Backing goes through the Kickstarter link printed above. None of the funds will go to my own wallet so to say, it's all to get the needed base games for the initial release of the web platform and the web hosting.

DGH
05-11-2016, 12:25
And the first backer from the SoG community is in! Thanks for your support!