PDA

View Full Version : Advice for beginners needed

KDz
04-14-2016, 07:53
Hello mates,
I'm seeking information from the battle-hardened repainters, and these will certainly I find here ;)

I'm sorry for perhaps trivial question, but please advice regarding the use of wash paints, especially for our models. Don't want to completely repaint them, just give them a depths. What wash should I have to use to sails, and what to hulls? Maybe are any special techniques?

I have to mention that I don't have any experience in repaiting.

Hjl
04-14-2016, 15:47
Finally something I know! I use a watered down sepia on the sails and a watered down black on the hulls.

I have used a variety of companies paints and find that gw isn't bad paint. Paint evenly with a large brush so as not to leave brush marks on the model. I use a kalinski sable hair brush.

Capn Duff
04-14-2016, 17:07
For myself, I dont give the ships hulls any wash, I prefer them bright, but if you wish you can use a very watery black or a dark grey to run over the decks and hull sides, use a largish brush and use light strokes over the aras.

For the sails, i now use a white or cream with a little light grey just to give the sails an off white colour.

I now paint all the spars and fighting tops black, this helps cover a multitude of sins.

For paints ,like Hugh I use a variety of paints, GW for white , administrum grey and foundation Red.
I also use lemon yellow mixed with white for masts,.

I should have said I use acrylic paints not oils or enamels. Saves on smell of brush cleaner and just use water to thin the paint and clean brushes.

KDz
04-15-2016, 01:08
Thank you mates for this useful information. :thumbsup::drinks:
As soon as I'm doing something with my models, I put here some pics.
:thanks:

Bligh
04-15-2016, 02:12
I'm pretty much the same as Chris on painting techniques. Tops in black and masts done in Ochre.
I usually use a dark brown wash instead of black but it is just a matter of choice. I still have a lot of Citadel inks for washes.
Rob.

TexaS
04-15-2016, 13:06
I don't wash the hulls either, but have given the deck a light wash when I didn't paint an entire deck to emulate the finished as-is deck.

I find that the boats will be much better with a wash.

I've seen great sails from just a wash but I paint mine in an off-white that I mix each time. That makes for variation. It's mostly yellow and a sand/beige I mix in. Lately I've thought to paint the topsails a little darker as those would most likely have been most used. First rates get a little whiter sails as they get newer cloth than a frigate just back from the far side of the world. :wink:

Clipper1701
04-16-2016, 03:01
This is what I love about this site, lots of great ideas and techniques! Thanks all!

KDz
04-16-2016, 06:41
This is what I love about this site, lots of great ideas and techniques! Thanks all!

You come to the point:thumbsup: