PDA

View Full Version : AAR - March Nation v Nation. Après la tempête (or around the ragged rocks)

Union Jack
04-05-2016, 16:46
March Nation v Nation. Après la tempête (around the ragged rocks the ragged rascal ran, or sailed in this matter)

Royal Navy 549 points
Lord Henry Percy, Commodore; Captain John Smith, Flag Captain (HMS Royal Sovereign 100) 192; Captain Henry Guiness (HMS Africa 74) 134; Captain Tobias Arkle (HMS Northumberland 74) 135; Captain Jack Union, (HMS Dunkirk 40) 88.

French 700 points (includes shore battery)
Commerce de Marseilles (118) 200; Aquilon (74) 144; Commerce de Bordeaux (74) 143; Embuscade (32) 64; Le Success (32) 68; Shore Battery 81.

Admiralty Report:
Engagement with Admiral du Gavine’s squadron, La Sorte, March 30th 1787.
Acting upon information brought to me by Captain Hanson (HMS Ardent), I ordered my squadron, less HMS Agamemnon and HMS Ardent to sail in formation and engage said enemy squadron before they could gain La Sorte anchorage and safety.

A veritable tempest blew on the 27th and lasted 2 days. My squadron managed to remain in contact and sail was sighted to the north west on the morning of the 30th.. As we approached La Sorte the enemy ships, 5 in all including a 1st rate of at least 118 guns, 2 74’s and 2 sloops of war were in disarray and looked as though some of them had suffered damage from the storm. The big 1st rate had lost its foremast.

I ordered the squadron into line of battle and dispatched HMS Dunkirk as a repeater.

My ship lead the way and we engaged Aquilon, with HMS Africa, causing extensive damage.

We received heavy fire from several enemy ships but contimued on.

My Captain had ordered the port batteries to assist reloading the starboard divisions and in no time we were ready for battle again.

We were well placed to rake Commerce de Bordeaux and she took heavy weight of iron and was sorely damaged.

HMS Northumberland, Captain Arkle using his initiative, placed his ship ready to board Aquilon and engaged her to port. Whilst taking fire from Embuscade, one of the French sloops of war.

HMS Dunkirk had closed with Aquilon and facilitated her surrender. Northumberland took revenge on the sloop as she passed and caused considerable damage before she passed under the guns of the French fortress.

HMS Africa raked Commerce de Bordeaux from the stern and caused so much damage that her captain struck her colours.

Unfortunately some shot from Africa passed the Frenchman by and struck Northumberland causing a fire and mast damage.

I gave chase to bring the 1st rate to heal but like the scarred rabbit she was her captain used the island to sneak away.

It was 8 bells and the wind suddenly veered to the aid of the French.

Closing on Commerce de Marseilles, the French 1st rate and flag ship, we exchanged fire.

Northumberland had engaged the 2nd sloop of war, her captain unwisely having fired on the bigger ship.

Captain Union in Dunkirk unwisely set sail and tried to engage the sloop of war before she reached the safety of the anchorage at La Sorte.

As he tacked to port he came in range of the fort and only just managed to extricate his frigate but she was badly damaged.

Northumberland tried in vain to stop the Marseilles and nearly was sunk herself.

HMS Africa had managed to turn and with the wind had put herself in a position to engage Marseilles. Both Africa and Northumberland gave good reply and Marseilles sank in the channel.

We took 2 74's as prizes, sank their flagship the 118 gun Commerce de Marseilles. 2 badly damaged sloops of war gained the anchorage which is blocked and may hinder ships entering or leaving for some time.

Sir, your servant, Sir, Henry Percy; Commodore.

Butchers Bill:
Royal Navy

French
Commerce de Marseilles sank as she hadn’t enough crew to pump 4 leaks.
(L’s indicate leaks. R’s indicate rudder and 0’s indicate misses)

Summary:
1. Great scenario.
2. Where can I get a new squadron?!
3. Unfortunately for Northumberland she was in range of Africa when she raked Commerce de Bordeaux so took any misses as damage on herself. Note to self: don't rake an enemy ship when a friendly is in arc!
4. Don't try sailing a 1st rate in a narrow channel. (CdM was assisted with the wind change and slower movement due to mast loss!)
5. Spot the mistake yet? (I am human, it happens).

Hjl
04-05-2016, 21:45
Very well done. Love the terrain! It looks like a real challenge to navigate.

Good job dealing with the Marseille, even wounded it is still a fearsome opponent.

Ps, what mistake?

Union Jack
04-06-2016, 00:35
Ah, now that would be telling. Cheers for the REP.

A nods a good as a wink to a blind bat.

Bligh
04-06-2016, 03:45
Very good battle Neil.
I was expecting a bit more one sided action, but the Fort took its toll.
Watch out for the one in the solo Letters of Marque game.
Your scenery is excellent, and even more challenging than my set up was.
You did very well all things being considered.

Rob.

Union Jack
04-06-2016, 03:59
A great scenario to play Rob. A good indication are the different ways each are playing out at present. If it was all 1 sided and a foregone conclusion not worth playing. But this I really enjoyed. Thought I had it in the bag but that 1st rate is a doozie to take down. Even damaged she packs a punch.

Dr.Maturin
04-06-2016, 16:57
Great AAR Neil. I would say the mistake was shooting yourself but that is surely too obvious. There is probably another tucked away in there and very cleverly hidden.
I am currently preparing my own AAR for this same scenario which I played yesterday and hope to get it to you in the next day or two.
Reg

Torrence
04-06-2016, 17:41
Very nice action, a lot of close manoeuvring!
And congratulations on your clear victory (although your crews will have a hard time refitting as soon as they reach a safe port)

Hjl
04-06-2016, 20:20
Its a good thing the rules have been altered! Your ships would be in dry dock for as much as 7 months.

Union Jack
04-07-2016, 12:17
The mistake was the 3 ships firing at Royal Sovereign. Only realised in pics I drew A chits not B chits. I put it down to damp French powder after the storm.

Bligh
04-07-2016, 12:33
These things happen even at sea Neil.:wink:
Rob.

TexaS
04-07-2016, 13:45
Great battle!
Beautiful terrain.

It really is fun to read the different versions of the same battle.

Union Jack
04-07-2016, 15:07
Thats the beauty of the campaign Jonas. For those who have played the game many times it gives a different slant to each game and for those still awaiting their first toe in the water hopefully some inspiration as to what can be achieved and how or how not to do it.

Hjl
04-12-2016, 18:45
I am so impressed with how this looked that I got this message:

Cant give rep for the same post twice.