PDA

View Full Version : The Bear and the Wolves

Hjl
04-03-2016, 17:49
To celebrate the completion of my fort I decided to give it a game today.

The Mission:

HMS Goliath (me)
Fort 7 (1 arc) (ai)

vs

(ai)
Le Succes
Hermione
Corageuse

3 French frigates have caught the HMS Goliath delivering supplies to Fort Gallant. Can their superior numbers sink the British ship under the watch of the fort?

---

Turn 1

The Goliath is at minimal sails, I try to maintain a close distance to the fort to benefit from the cover of its 42lb cannons.

---

Turn 2

The French close the distance.

---

Turn 3

The ships plan their avenues of attack.

---

Turn 4

The Goliath and Hermione exchange fire, nothing too serious.

---

Turn 5

The Hermione and the Fort exchange fire, a lucky escape for the Frigate.

---

Turn 6

The fight begins in earnest.

---

Turn 7

Hermione and the fort exchange fire and the frigate fires her other broadside into HMS Goliath.

---

Turn 8

Goliath fires chain shot and muskets into Hermione, ripping the frigates crew to pieces, and receives fire from Le Succes.

---

Turn 9

The Hermione and HMS Goilath exchange musket fire. The Fort unloads another volley into the Frigate and it strikes its colours. The HMS Goliath fires its rear guns at point blank range into Le Succes doing significant damage to the smaller frigate.

---

Turn 10

The ships dance around one another, trying to line up broadsides. The HMS Goliath takes more damage from Corageuse.

After looking at the logs I realised that Goliath only has 2 crew boxes left!!!

---

Turn 11

Golaith turns through the wind and Fort Gallant pounds Le Succes.

---

Turn 12

Le Succes fires at HMS Goliath. One crew box left for the British ship!

---

Turn 13

HMS Goliath retaliates with a crippling raking broadside strait down the throat of Le Succes. She strikes immediately.

---

Turn 14

Courageuse creates some distance between herself and the Fort. Her guns are not powerful enough to do much damage.

---

Turn 15

The ships sail strait at one another, who will flinch first!

---

Turn 16

I guess wrong and prepare my single order for a broadside. The two ships collide and Courageuse fires muskets into the crew of HMS Goliath. Last crew box gone, Goliath strikes her colours.

---

Reports to the admiralty:

The French loose two frigates and the Courageuse escapes totally unharmed.

HMS Goliath fought bravely but suffered a lot of crew hits.

Courageuse sends a prize crew over to the surrendered British ship of the line and sets sail for France as the commander of the fort watches on helpless.

---

I have to stop picking fights i cant win! 3 Frigates vs 1 3rd rate is just about doable i think. We shall have to try again another day.

TexaS
04-03-2016, 22:48
Great fight!
It was fun to read.

Bligh
04-04-2016, 02:37
:hatsoff:A brave effort Hugh.

I didn't think you had a cat in Hades chance of winning this against three Frigates and at sea rather than at anchor under the guns of the Fort. Then you almost pull it off going at it like a bull in a china shop in true British style.:clap:
You will now have the entire British Navy on the lookout for a chance to retake the Goliath.
Well fought sir. We must have a celebratory drink together when you are exchanged.:drinks:
Bligh.

Curses! Rep cannon out of powder.

KDz
04-04-2016, 02:42
I didn't think you had a cat in Hades chance of winning this against three Frigates and at sea rather than at anchor under the guns of the Fort. Then you almost pull it off going at it like a bull in a china shop...

Same thoughts as Rob...
Great battle, Hugh. Bravely fought :hatsoff:

Dr.Maturin
04-04-2016, 04:07
Great battle. Well fought Goliath. Rob I can see where you are coming from but if Goliath stays anchored under the Fort's guns it effectively puts one broadside permanently out of action also meaning she only gets to fire every other turn. I think you played it right Hugh despite the unfortunate result. Salute Sir!
PS Luckily my Rep cannon was fully loaded.

Hjl
04-04-2016, 05:32
Thanks guys. I got hit very hard in turn 9. After that I had to stay at range and try to preserve my last two crew boxes. Otherwise I would have charged in and let them have it.

Are there any rules written for formations with AI? I had to adjust quite a few of their moves to avoid bumping.

Comte de Brueys
04-04-2016, 07:22
For your question I have to say that the starting formation of the French frigates is "uncommon" and had a high risk for collissions and blocking of own broadsides.

But a nice battle, Hugh. :salute:

Hjl
04-04-2016, 07:25
For your question I have to say that the starting formation of the French frigates is "uncommon" and had a high risk for collissions and blocking of own broadsides.:

Interesting, what would be a stronger formation for the French? I must admit, deployment strategy is not something that I have learnt yet.

Comte de Brueys
04-04-2016, 08:42
A "line" or a suggested "double column". :wink:

Hjl
04-04-2016, 09:20
I considered that, I thought it would make the frigates stick out too far past their deployment area. I think I will try this next time though.

Bligh
04-04-2016, 09:26
Thanks guys. I got hit very hard in turn 9. After that I had to stay at range and try to preserve my last two crew boxes. Otherwise I would have charged in and let them have it.

Are there any rules written for formations with AI? I had to adjust quite a few of their moves to avoid bumping.

Personally I treat AIs like enemy ships who bump them, Let them bump and maybe entangle but no damage incurred. That evens out the fact that just like any other ship they may collide, but don't suffer for having no brains commanding them. If ships in human command collide they get everything they deserve.:wink: But then even Nelson's Captains did it at times.:shock:
Rob.

Hjl
04-04-2016, 09:30
Personally I treat AIs like enemy ships who bump them, Let them bump and maybe entangle but no damage incurred. That evens out the fact that just like any other ship they may collide, but don't suffer for having no brains commanding them. If ships in human command collide they get everything they deserve.:wink: But then even Nelson's Captains did it at times.:shock:
Rob.

I like that! I'm going to adopt this next game!

Union Jack
04-04-2016, 13:18
Great gane Hugh, as for AI formations try Herkeybirds AI rules. He includes a little about AI formations following the lead ship until certain circumstances then its every ship for itself basically.

Capn Duff
04-05-2016, 15:15
Great game, may try this one myself, when I get the time.
As Neil suggests look at the "Powder Monkey" solo rules in the files, Im sure you'll like them

Hjl
04-05-2016, 15:36
I'd love to see someone else try it on. I'd be interested to see what you would do differently.

Naharaht
04-12-2016, 19:26
Thank you for the great AAR, Hugh! :thumbsup:

Hjl
04-12-2016, 21:37
Your very welcome

Bligh
04-13-2016, 00:52
Looking at the game more closely, I think I'd play it with the Goliath at anchor under the guns of the fort, tight up to the cliff in the little cove or cleft. Face the same way as your ship with a spring on the forrard anchor cable then the worst that can happen is a forrard rake at long range, and every ship doing that would risk the forts guns, raking their stern as they passed Goliath's bows, plus the chance of Goliath swinging on her cable and giving an added broadside. Once the enemy were softened up she could slip her cable and give chase. A lot of this is conjecture based on wind direction and exactly how powerful the fort is.
Rob.

Herkybird
04-13-2016, 12:15
:hatsoff:A brave effort Hugh.

I didn't think you had a cat in Hades chance of winning this against three Frigates and at sea rather than at anchor under the guns of the Fort. Then you almost pull it off going at it like a bull in a china shop in true British style.:clap:
You will now have the entire British Navy on the lookout for a chance to retake the Goliath.
Well fought sir. We must have a celebratory drink together when you are exchanged.:drinks:
Bligh.

Curses! Rep cannon out of powder.

Dont worry, I just repped him! Wish I was loaded with double shot! :thumbsup:

Herkybird
04-13-2016, 12:25
I suggest for squadron manoeuvres, just dice for the first ship and the following ships play the manoeuvre card the preceding ship used the previous turn, with ships of the same speed, this means the squadron moves in line.
Alternately, dice for one ship, and all the others do the same, this makes ships turn in formation.

I strongly suggest damage from ramming is ignored when using solo ships, as they do tend to do so if fighting individually.

I hope this helps? :question:

Bligh
04-13-2016, 13:22
Rep gun now primed and loaded.
Time for you to apply for your 50 Rep medal Hugh.
Rob.

Hjl
04-13-2016, 16:49
Thanks everyone!

I have a mission in mind to reclaim HMS Goliath. I shall post it when I get the chance.

Bligh
04-14-2016, 01:58
That sounds like it will be a real corker Hugh.
I would comment further, but it may compromise an idea I have for a future Campaign scenario.
Suffice it to say that I fancy trying out those cards for land action.
Rob.