PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Encounters

TWR
03-18-2016, 15:47
I haven't posted here a short report of our most recent three player game. The report is reasonably brief, but may still be of interest and can be found here:
http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com/2016/03/18/constitutional-encounters/

Naharaht
03-18-2016, 18:04
thank you for the interesting AAR, Keith. It shows how powerful the U.S.S. Constitution was.

Tordenskjold
03-19-2016, 00:17
Thanks Keith
it seems to HMS Melager should not have broken his line formation and should have stayed close to the battle, maybe... it seems that USS Constitution is dangerous under the right circumstances. Great AAR:clap:
Morten:hatsoff:

Comte de Brueys
03-19-2016, 07:00
Never mess with a stealth 3rd rate. :wink:

Coog
03-19-2016, 11:32

Capn Duff
03-19-2016, 12:05
Nice report, we shall have to do something about those Yankee frigates chaps, they pack a heavy punch

Hjl
03-19-2016, 12:53
I have decided! After my successful campaign to hunt down the Commerce du Marseille I shall now send out a pair of British frigates to put an end to the constitutions reign of terror!

Herkybird
03-19-2016, 13:07
I have had a similar engagement with one ship (Commerce de Marseilles) against 3 British frigates, once again the big ship won. I determined that its vital for the squadron to stay co-ordinated against the big ship. Any failure to co-ordinate allows the big ship to win.

TWR
03-19-2016, 13:10
A pair of frigates was our plan as well. The trick is perhaps for them both to be engaged at the same time and against the same broadside, and of course that was the intent.

I'm pleased that the post has been interesting to others.

Herkybird
03-19-2016, 13:14
A pair of frigates was our plan as well. The trick is perhaps for them both to be engaged at the same time and against the same broadside.

I'm pleased that the post has been interesting to others.

I am always interested in other players AAR's, I agree, about the co-ordination- one way to do it is to fight in line astern so the second ship gets a shot as the single ship is reloading.

TWR
03-19-2016, 13:16
I am always interested in other players AAR's, I agree, about the co-ordination- one way to do it is to fight in line astern so the second ship gets a shot as the single ship is reloading.

Yes, line astern would have been sensible, unfortunately the scenario found the ships deployed differently.

The strength of the Constitution's guns, or the ability to maintain a strong broadside despite damage, was also very apparent as the battle progressed.

Dobbs
03-25-2016, 05:48
I thought that historically Constitution was comparable in firepower to a 4th rate. In SoG, it seems like when 64's come out that Constitution stands to be more powerful. I would have thought in armament she would have been more like a twodecker 50, or small 64. Does anyone else think she might be overrated in the game?

David Manley
03-25-2016, 08:45
I thought that historically Constitution was comparable in firepower to a 4th rate. In SoG, it seems like when 64's come out that Constitution stands to be more powerful. I would have thought in armament she would have been more like a twodecker 50, or small 64. Does anyone else think she might be overrated in the game?

Bismarck syndrome, do you think? :happy:

Dobbs
03-25-2016, 10:40
Nifty term I was not familiar with. I like it!

But yes, that pretty much describes it.

Herkybird
03-25-2016, 10:50
Yes...I think Ares may be 'Playing to the market', just a bit :takecover:

Hjl
03-25-2016, 18:01
I love hunting down larger ships in smaller ones. As soon as i get some time i will attempt first 2, then 3 frigates against the Constitution.

On a side note: Herkybird, i love your optimism! Taking on the Commerce de Marseilles with 3 frigates!! That ship has been the bane of my existence for a while, and i take it on with 3rd rates!

TWR
03-25-2016, 22:29
Has anyone actually used the Constitution? I ask as I'm sure we made several mistakes with our frigates which account for much of our defeat.

Bligh
03-26-2016, 03:25

Just spotted this Richard.
I like to employ the attack on both beams by two Frigates. Although it allows the attacked ship to use both broadsides, each Frigate only soaks up half the amount of damage that the enemy is taking. Two into one does go. Also if he turns away there is at least a chance that one or the other will have a chance at a raking shot.
Rob.

David Manley
03-26-2016, 04:05
Has anyone actually used the Constitution? I ask as I'm sure we made several mistakes with our frigates which account for much of our defeat.

Occasionally, although modified slightly.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E1BUV3aZpYQ/Vf8rQyt7SiI/AAAAAAAABoI/i2ZR2i6rbyU/s1600/2015-09-20%2B09.33.29.jpg

Herkybird
03-26-2016, 04:25
On a side note: Herkybird, I love your optimism! Taking on the Commerce de Marseilles with 3 frigates!! That ship has been the bane of my existence for a while, and I take it on with 3rd rates!

I actually think its possible, if fiendishly difficult! - The game you mentioned (http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/vive-la-republique.html) was a test of the official points system!

Naharaht
03-26-2016, 08:12
I have had a similar engagement with one ship (Commerce de Marseilles) against 3 British frigates, once again the big ship won. I determined that its vital for the squadron to stay co-ordinated against the big ship. Any failure to co-ordinate allows the big ship to win.

If the official point value table is to be believed then three frigates should be able to cope with the Commerce de Marseilles. I would try to attack the same side of the Commere de Marseilles with all three frigates so that it could not use both broadsides and then try for some raking broadsides.

Herkybird
03-26-2016, 08:48
I agree, though as I was the French captain, I was not going to tell my opponent that! -I really think the line astern formation is best on first contact, as you get more broadsides in usually. Then turning while you reload, and fire again, Usually, at least 1 of the frigates does not get a shot in the first pass, so it turns sharply to rake the big ship.
In the end though, its all down to numbers of counters you can get the big ship to take!:minis::cannon:

Bligh
03-26-2016, 10:23
Here is my rendition of the early Constitution.
The HEIC Heavy Frigate Nottingham, raking the French 74 Le Berwick.

Rob.

Coog
03-26-2016, 22:54
It seems the SOG Constitution is causing the same consternation at the Admiralty as did the real one of 1812.