PDA

View Full Version : AAR: February Solo scenario: a new venture

Tordenskjold
02-22-2016, 06:50
Minor disaster...but donīt misunderstand me. I had a lot of fun with it :happy:

Mr. Bowen is my Captain on HMS Terpsichore.
Enemy: Class 5 frigate
Merchant: Shipmat from Richard (thank a lot)

First of all, i played with the "rules of solitaire play" movement from rulebook page 48. Actually my head was filled up with English words, so i thought i could get away with not reading, learning and practice the rules about maneuvering. I am so sorry Richard, but trust me thatīs not going to happen again.

TURN 1-3:
Enemy ship was so frightened by the sight of me prizing the Merchant. It ran away...

Itīs ok. No broadsides in this scenario and i will do some maneuvering practice. Should be easy...NOT
Turn 12-13-14, ended up with me making a collision with the Merchant :smack:

Now the pressure was increased seriously and i was very careful...to much maybe. Repair some dammage on merchant and Terpsichore.
Merchant safe in turn 22 and Mr. Bowen followed in turn 30 :embarass:

SUMMARY:
- Read all the rules.
- Practice som "take aback" maneuvering.

The Bill (as i see it):
(Terpsichore has not return the prize on the picture)

It is a great scenario and i canīt wait playing it again in a more appropriate manner.
Now i need a "favourite tipple" :beer:
Morten

TexaS
02-22-2016, 08:47
Nice fight.

Don't worry. You will soon learn the rules and then forget them again.

Union Jack
02-23-2016, 05:41
Just like learning to ride a bike. The more you get on, the less you fall off.

Great AAR Morten keep them coming.

TexaS
02-23-2016, 10:01
And then you'll get inte extreme versions of biking like downhill and you'll fall off again... :shock:

Tordenskjold
02-23-2016, 12:49
:happy: but i will allways get back on the horse again...

Bligh
02-23-2016, 13:22
I loved it Morten.:clap:
No one expects that outcome, and yet the annals of the Navies of all protagonists are full of stories where the other ship would not stop to play and just did a runner.
Timid Captain, or near mutinous crew? I guess we will never know. Or maybe he just had lots of men down with some malaise of the sea and could not fight his ship.
At any rate full marks for publishing your Log. I'm sure your Admiral will feel much better taking his share of the Prize money when he knows no blood was shed by your men.:hmmm:
Bligh.:salute:

Union Jack
02-23-2016, 15:59
OK Morten:

HMS Terpsichore took 1 hull damage and 2 crew loss. Repair 1 hull damage for free (end of scenario rule). Take 1 crew replacement from captured merchant.

Leaves 1 crew loss for Terpsichore.

Renown and Prize:
+1 Renown Capturing the merchantman
+1 Renown Enemy leaves table
+6 prize money from the merchantman -1 to replace crew loss = 5 prize. (unless you want to sail with 1 crew loss?)

Tordenskjold
02-24-2016, 02:54
Thank you Neil.
I guess you are improving. Take it easy if you can.

Yes please replace crew loss. Amazing how this is put together...just love it.
Morten

Tordenskjold
02-24-2016, 03:03
, and yet the annals of the Navies of all protagonists are full of stories where the other ship would not stop to play and just did a runner.
Timid Captain, or near mutinous crew?

I do remember you wrote somewhere about execution on the deck and i just saw a picture of an English Captain being executed...when i come home from work i see if i can found the picture and some literature...you certainly know already who i am talking about :hatsoff:

Bligh
02-24-2016, 03:13
The only one that springs to mind Morten is Admiral John Byng.

For the full Sp see here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Byng

Rob.

TexaS
02-24-2016, 05:24
Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

KDz
02-24-2016, 06:57
Despite the result, good AAR.
I'm also learning too, such maneuvers also give a lot of learning/knowledge. Such exercises also provide a lot of fun too.
:minis:

Union Jack
02-24-2016, 07:23
He of the South Sea Bubble me thinks.

The only one that springs to mind Morten is Admiral John Byng.

For the full Sp see here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Byng

Rob.

Union Jack
02-24-2016, 07:24
Then Kamil I ask the question...why aren't you in the campaign?

Despite the result, good AAR.
I'm also learning too, such maneuvers also give a lot of learning/knowledge. Such exercises also provide a lot of fun too.
:minis:

KDz
02-24-2016, 07:42
Then Kamil I ask the question...why aren't you in the campaign?

Sorry, sir. :embarass:
I haven't tried campaign (yet). I'll try to improve in the future :salute:

Union Jack
02-24-2016, 07:46
Both campaigns are not competitions against other players. Players set up the games for others to play and it is a way to learn the game at your own pace without worrying about do I have the right ships, terrain etc. Have a look through some of the 2014 and 2015 campaign AAR's etc. There a lots of ideas for games that may well assist you in your SoG progression.

Neil

Tordenskjold
02-24-2016, 07:52
Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.
:thumbsup: Franįois-Marie Arouet. Alias: Voltaire. And a lot of respect for french Jonas:hatsoff:

...and i found the page with Byng. Seven years war. Minorca. Byng was captain on Ramillies. He was executed on HMS Monarch in Solent, 14 march 1757.
Morten

KDz
02-24-2016, 07:59
Both campaigns are not competitions against other players. Players set up the games for others to play and it is a way to learn the game at your own pace without worrying about do I have the right ships, terrain etc. Have a look through some of the 2014 and 2015 campaign AAR's etc. There a lots of ideas for games that may well assist you in your SoG progression.

Neil

Thanks Neil.
I know the principle of the campaign, but just haven't tried. I look up to date all AAR.
For now, I create my own solo scenarios for fast games. But it's time to play in the campaign. Maybe next weekend?

Tordenskjold
02-24-2016, 08:06
Hi Kamil:hatsoff:
I think you also can improvise through a campaign. In somehow i did because i did not understand the manuover rules. after my AAR i tried to get some help with this from Herkybird. He was so friendly and after a couple of mails...I GOT IT:beer:
No pressure, but it sure would be nice to have you on board. I only play "A new venture". I dont have experience or ship enough to play the other campaign, But looking at the AARīs is a lot of entertainment to me. And leraning to.
Morten:salute:

Bligh
02-24-2016, 09:07
Don't forget Morten you can use as few ships as you own for our Campaigns. We try to aim it for any country and any type of ship, even mixed ships will do. If you can't get the idea or think you don't have the ships, PM the person who wrote the scenario and they will tell you how you can change it to suit your ships.
I only came into this years campaign on purpose with one First rate, one Third rate, and the rest are Frigates and a Sloop.
The April mission will be your Frigate against two Sloops, but could just as easily be a 74 against two Frigates, or A First Rate against two 74s.
Just do your thing and enjoy doing it. Nobody here will adversely criticize you whatever you choose to do in the game.
Rob.

Union Jack
02-24-2016, 09:34
When you're ready I will too.

Thanks Neil.
I know the principle of the campaign, but just haven't tried. I look up to date all AAR.
For now, I create my own solo scenarios for fast games. But it's time to play in the campaign. Maybe next weekend?

Hjl
02-24-2016, 10:13
I joint the campaign intentionally to better learn the rules while having fun. So far it's worked very well. I am extremely grateful to the sog community for providing these bite sized missions for us all to enjoy!

Tordenskjold
02-25-2016, 05:25
Thanks Rob. It takes a bit of the pressure. Small steps is good. I think "Letters of Marque" fits me well, but i will certainly buy more and bigger ships in near future...And i am enjoying: Kids a sleep. Wife went to bed upstairs, reading books. The hole downstairs is mine:sly: A nice cold ale when unpacking the game. The light is comfortable. Set up. And another Ale to lossen up a bit...two - three hours later i pack it together with a smile on my lips...This i have done for about 8-9 times and i still want more sailīs.
I take any criticism , if any, constructively in a warm and relaxed way. I have only met noble gentelmen in here :hatsoff:
Morten

KDz
02-25-2016, 06:22
I understand U perfectly Morten :beer: :drinks: :salute:

Bligh
02-25-2016, 07:42
Glad you are enjoying life as a ships Captain Morten.
My games are almost the opposite of yours, in that on a Thursday morning I let the cat out about five, then play my game until the family get up at about eight. My wife goes off to her Embroidery club at half past nine, and I then finish up any game and pack away before she returns for lunch.
Rob.

TexaS
02-25-2016, 14:21
That sounds like a perfect end to any day, Morten.

Ah, Rob, the early cat. Our cat had the good manner to wait until we woke up. My mother had another, after I was long gone, who overcame any obstacle to wake her at 3 o'clock to let him out.

Bligh
02-25-2016, 15:38
That sounds like a perfect end to any day, Morten.

Ah, Rob, the early cat. Our cat had the good manner to wait until we woke up. My mother had another, after I was long gone, who overcame any obstacle to wake her at 3 o'clock to let him out.

That's my boy! It will be 3.30 in the Summer when it gets light earlier. Let him out or otherwise he will wake the whole household up by twanging the bottom of doors with his claws.
Rob.