PDA

View Full Version : hunting the Commerce de Marseilles

Hjl
02-21-2016, 19:04
After 2 attempts to sink the mighty French warship Commerce de Marseille, another opportunity presented itself in the morning of the 21st Feb. The Marseille was approaching a civilian port to resupply when it was spotted by a British hunter group consisting of the HMS Terpsichore and the HMS Vanguard.

The wind was blowing SE making the Marseilles approach difficult and giving the British ships the advantage.

--

The British ships set sails perpendicular to the wind attempting to cut the Marseille with a forward rake.

--

The British ships split so as to force a decision from the Marseille.

--

The Commerce turned sharply into the wind to line up a broadside on the British 3rd rate using the island as cover from the frigate.

--

The HMS Vanguard takes the first broadside of the day. It avoided too much damage but took a hole beneath the water line.

--

The Commerce then turned sharply again to avoid any return fire from the British ships. The British group pursued the Commerce, attempting to get it in range to try to double shot it.

--

The British ships drew up closer and the Terpsichore opened fire doing significant damage to the Marseille who in returns fires another massive broadside into the HMS Vanguard.

--

The HMS Vanguard co-ordinated with the HMS Terpsichore and the British ships fired at point blank range into the French first rate. The damage was high, but amazingly the Marseille stayed afloat!

--

Even after the damage sustained from the British bombardment the Marseille returned fire, catching the British frigate in at close range.

--

The HMS Vanguard maneuvered around to catch the Marseille in the rear with a full broadside.

--

The Marseille limped to starboard and unloaded a broadside on the HMS Vanguard.

--

Due to the rudder damage suffered by the Marseille, maneuvering was becoming difficult and it looked to be headed into the island without the means to avoid it.

--

Despite the best efforts of the crew, the Marseille was damage too badly and had lost too much maneuverability to avoid the island. As a result it ran aground and struck it colors.

--

This game ended when my son ran his ship aground. I got very lucky here with repeated rudder damage reducing its maneuverability to the point where turning was only really possible when into the wind.

The large ships are very very resilient but turn like tankers, once they have taken any significant rudder damage and before they have had a chance to repair it they are very easy to predict and very difficult to move.

KDz
02-22-2016, 01:29
Massive clash Hugh :clap:

Bligh
02-22-2016, 01:50
Great action, carried out in the true tradition of the service.
Your ships acted just like a pair of sheepdogs harrying the heels of a flock.
Well done Captain.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
02-22-2016, 04:07
Unlucky collission & the wind against the French.

Lucky you, that you fought the 1st rate down. :salute:

Hjl
02-22-2016, 05:15
The collision was due to repeated rudder hits. Quite lucky really I suppose. I maintain that it is better to be lucky than good!

TexaS
02-22-2016, 08:38
The second rudder hit is converted into a broken mast. I can't remember what successive rudder hits do without consulting the rules, but I don't think you get a bigger penalty than -1.

Very interesting action, nevertheless. It's more important to have fun than to exactly follow the rules anyway.

Hjl
02-22-2016, 08:48
You are technically correct, the best kind of correct!

In that case he would have probably struck due to full dissmasting anyway.

Bligh
02-22-2016, 09:44
The collision was due to repeated rudder hits. Quite lucky really I suppose. I maintain that it is better to be lucky than good!

As Napoleon said when asked if he preferred a good General or a lucky one.
A lucky one!
Rob.

Herkybird
02-22-2016, 12:58
I always use house rules to avoid a lot of -- what I consider rather tedious rules!
I just accumulate rudder -1's as it causes quite enough disruption.
I ignore damage from ships colliding...if I do it feels like a Trireme battle!
I don't count a damage box 'destroyed' until its full of damage, I don't like the way the broadside values drop so fast.

There are probably more but i can't think of them right now!

But that's just me and my friends! :takecover:

Bligh
02-22-2016, 13:54
I always use house rules to avoid a lot of -- what I consider rather tedious rules!
I just accumulate rudder -1's as it causes quite enough disruption. Agree
I ignore damage from ships colliding...if I do it feels like a Trireme battle! If applying it I do to collisions with the enemy as well.
I don't count a damage box 'destroyed' until its full of damage, I don't like the way the broadside values drop so fast. I have been dubious about this one too.

There are probably more but i can't think of them right now!

But that's just me and my friends! :takecover:

:hatsoff:I like your thinking on this matter Richard. Just did not have the bottle:rum: to voice them myself.
Bligh.

Hjl
02-22-2016, 14:41
I too do not consider a box destroyed until it is filled.