PDA

View Full Version : AAR HMS Vanguard vs Commerce De Marseille

Hjl
02-13-2016, 18:40
Over the last few weeks the Commerce De Marseille, captained by Hugh JNR, has been a thorn in my side. It is an almost unbreakable fortress carrying enough men to invade a city and enough guns to sink a small fleet. I have made a few attempts to destroy it but all have met in failure, either sunk or surrendered.

Today it was sighted by the HMS Vanguard, captained by Hugh SNR. The opportunity was too good to pass up and so the stage was set for another epic struggle to bring down the titan.

The wind blows due south as the two ships meet from the east and west. The HMS vanguard decides to try to cut the Marseille off and try to line up a broadside into her bow. Double shot is ordered in both batteries and the sails are set to full.

--

The distance is closing rapidly but the Marseille's Captain predicts the manouver taken by the English and aims to swap broadsides with the under-gunned HMS Vanguard.

--

The Marseille fires the first broadside at range, its captain eager to end the confrontation quickly. Fortunately for the Hugh SNR the shooting isnt particularly effective. The rudder is damaged but otherwise a lucky escape

--

The Vanguard attempts to circle around behind the Marseille but the move is too obvious and Hugh JNR turns with the British ship, maintaining its firing arc.

--

The two ships circle one another. Hugh SNR orders the HMS Vanguard to hold its fire, not wanting to waste the double shot. Hugh JNR has no such reservation and orders his gun crews to fire as soon as they are loaded, no matter the arc. The Marseille's shot again does little damage.

--

Finally the maneuverability of the smaller 3rd rate is starting to show and it gets in behind the Marseille.

--

The Marseille turns again and unloads another broadside at close range into the side of the HMS Vanguard. Captain Hugh SNR yells at his crew to stand firm and hold their nerve as the French shot punches a hole in the hull.

--

At last the HMS Vanguard gets its chance. The order is given to open fire and the double shot pounds the Marseille. The damage is massive, could this be the turning point in the battle?

--

The two ships reload and maneuver. The English ship lines up its opposite broadside and the two ships exchange fire. The Marseille takes another enormous hit with fires breaking out and water rushing into the hull. The HMS Vanguard gets off luckier with only minor damage.

--

The Marseille's crew repair one of the masts but the other is lost. Captain Hugh JNR decides that the best approach here is to continuously circle, firing broadsides as soon as they are reloaded. Captain Hugh SNR decides to increase the range and wait for a better opportunity.

--

A few more shots are landed on the Marseille after some careful sailing. The damage is starting to pile up on the French ship.

--

Captain Hugh JNR decides to cut his losses and flees out of range of the HMS Vanguard. Hugh SNR realizes that he is lucky to have survived the encounter and that returning to port for repairs is more pressing than chasing down the French Battleship. (Dinner time)

--

The Butchers bill

--

I had a fantastic time with this scenario. It reminds me of the hunt of the Bismarck. It also gave my 7 year old son a good chance to have a fun game whilst learning the rules.

Once again, the superiority of the first rates is displayed!

Herkybird
02-14-2016, 03:11
Thanks for the AAR, looks like a lot of fun! - perhaps I should try using Double shot now and again!.
Even with a junior opponent, I think Vanguard was lucky to win! Well done Sir! :salute:

Bligh
02-14-2016, 07:39
A very good attempt.
The double edged weapon in use!
Double shot is fine if you can get in close. If not it is useless.
I never try for a raking shot when double shotted. Always go for the close pass.
At least then you don't get left behind in the attrition stakes, and it's surprising how often the enemy turns and presents you with the rake.
Just don't chase after it and it will come to you.
Bligh

Herkybird
02-14-2016, 11:58
A very good attempt.
The double edged weapon in use!
Double shot is fine if you can get in close. If not it is useless.
I never try for a raking shot when double shotted. Always go for the close pass.
At least then you don't get left behind in the attrition stakes, and it's surprising how often the enemy turns and presents you with the rake.
Just don't chase after it and it will come to you.
Bligh

Good tactics there! -the only time to go for a rake is if you are being pursued, or pursuing and willing to take the chance the enemy will turn and you are close enough to pass him going straight!
The short range of double shot means very often you will not get an optimal broadside as you are very close to the enemy ship and both are moving. :minis:

Hjl
02-14-2016, 18:02
I found that myself, I had to give up 2 or 3 opportunities to shoot because I had double shot loaded. I got very lucky that the Marseille's two broadsides did remarkably little damage. I reasoned that the only way I stood a chance against it was to hit it extremely hard, and the only way I could think to do that was with double shot.

I'm going to try again to sink the behemoth next week. Perhaps I'll bring a frigate along for help.

Bligh
02-15-2016, 02:00
I'm going to try again to sink the behemoth next week. Perhaps I'll bring a frigate along for help.

That will be extremely interesting to follow Hugh.
I am trying to get an idea of which combinations of smaller craft works against larger vessels, and the best tactics to avoid being swamped by superior fire.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-15-2016, 12:13
I found that myself, I had to give up 2 or 3 opportunities to shoot because I had double shot loaded. I got very lucky that the Marseille's two broadsides did remarkably little damage. I reasoned that the only way I stood a chance against it was to hit it extremely hard, and the only way I could think to do that was with double shot.

It may be worth loading the upwind side with double shot, and the downwind side with normal ball, if an opportunity arises for the Commerce to be vulnerable turn sharp downwind and let her have it!, with the wind you can possibly get a 90 degree turn? :steer::cannonboom::singin:

KDz
02-15-2016, 13:39
Wery good AAR.
Now I'm sure, that my next purchase will be Montagne/Commerce de Marseille. Beautiful ship :salute:

Union Jack
02-15-2016, 13:56
How did you work out the fire special damage? Both fire counters would have taken off 2 hull boxes before e b e ing extinguished.

Herkybird
02-15-2016, 16:43
I suspect, like me, they allow a 'put out fire' result to work the turn a fire begins, rather than the turn after.

Herkybird
02-15-2016, 16:53
I always loved the Commerce, after I was given command of her in my first ever game of Sails of Glory...I did repaint it though after seeing this picture....

Hjl
02-15-2016, 17:51
How did you work out the fire special damage? Both fire counters would have taken off 2 hull boxes before e b e ing extinguished.

My son always uses an order for extinguish fire, assuming there is one. Not a bad plan.

Hjl
02-15-2016, 18:06
Wery good AAR.
Now I'm sure, that my next purchase will be Montagne/Commerce de Marseille. Beautiful ship :salute:

Yes, it is a beauty. So much so I can forgive it for being French!

Bligh
02-16-2016, 01:54
The lines of French ships certainly have something to commend them, but the I have been somewhat biased since seeing Hermione in the flesh last year.
Rob.

Naharaht
02-16-2016, 02:02
Thank you for the good AAR, Hugh. :thumbsup:

TexaS
02-22-2016, 08:53
It was a good AAR.