PDA

View Full Version : Brief: March Nation v Nation. Après la tempête

Bligh
02-13-2016, 12:49

After a fruitless cruise, during which they encountered a terrible storm at sea, the remains of the enemy fleet struggles to return to port only to discover your Squadron blockading it. Short of rations and battered they must force a way back into port or succumb in the attempt. In order to emulate storm damage throw a D6 for each ship, and draw that number of A chits. Do this for each ship in the enemy fleet. The two Fleets will be equal in number to each other in size and composition. You may mix rates as long as both sides match up ( Players choice), excepting that to make up for the storm damage the enemy fleet will have one more ship than you.

Knowing that the fortress at the harbour commands the entrance and narrow channel around the island, each captain will decide either to make for the dangerous channel and safety, beating against the southerly wind,

or brave the battle with your fleet outside in the bay.

Dice for each ship 1-2 they choose the channel.- 3-6 they fight.

Any ship failing to make the harbour for whatever reason is deemed lost and you will take the points for its capture or sinking.

Your penalties for any lost or struck ships, is simply the loss of that ship from your squadron for the next game. That is enough of a penalty for any unwise Admiral.

Idea for the layout.

Use the size of two Ares mats as a rough guide.

Note that any fortifications must control the inner channel around the island, and have guns enough to put of enemy ships from hazarding the channel.
Say with firepower equivalent to two 100 gun ships.
Wind comes from the South for the entire engagement as per the chart.

Good luck in your endeavors captains.

Bligh.

Torrence
02-13-2016, 13:28
Great scenario, I love the asymmetric layout of blockade actions! Can't wait to try it out myself, maybe I'll find the time to play it already in the coming week.

Bligh
02-13-2016, 13:34
Great scenario, I love the asymmetric layout of blockade actions! Can't wait to try it out myself, maybe I'll find the time to play it already in the coming week.

Whatever you choose to do don't post it until March, otherwise Neil will never be able to deal with all the incoming work.
Rob.

Union Jack
02-13-2016, 17:19
Looking good Rob. I have 1 to write up and 1 to play, well 2 with this one. A trifle lagging behind.

Bligh
02-14-2016, 00:52
No worries Neil.
I think that given you malaise you are holding things together very well indeed.
I just felt that if I got this one in early it would take the pressure off anyone who was going to be getting things ready for the upcoming shows next month.
Hope you are shaking off the fever now, You see what too much time in the Tropics does to a man's constitution.
Rob.

Hjl
02-15-2016, 05:37
I think I will wait to see how this one plays out. It also gives me the perfect excuse to start building more terrain!

PS, can anyone give me the dimensions of the stock terrain so that I can make something appropriate?

Union Jack
02-16-2016, 06:58
Rob just to confirm, the enemy have 1 more ship than I? It's just in the diagram it is 3 v 3.

Bligh
02-16-2016, 08:14
Yes Neil, that makes up for their damage in the storm.
Rob.

spiessbuerger
02-17-2016, 12:10
Rob, the enemy ships which do not take the channel route: what's their "target"?
Always the port or (also) the players ships for fighting against?

..and thank you for providing these interesting scenario to us! :thumbsup:

Hjl
02-17-2016, 15:19
Can anyone give me the dimensions of the terrain so that I can make some of my own? Thanks!

Bligh
02-17-2016, 15:53
Rob, the enemy ships which do not take the channel route: what's their "target"?
Always the port or (also) the players ships for fighting against?

..and thank you for providing these interesting scenario to us! :thumbsup:

The port is their haven and they will make it the chief objective, but not put themselves into silly positions if they can avoid it. ie getting stern raked.
Rob.

KDz
03-07-2016, 06:12
Someone already faced with this scenario? Can't wait to read some AAR...

Hjl
03-15-2016, 18:17
Same here, who is going to be the forlorn hope?

Bligh
03-16-2016, 01:11
I am hoping to sail it myself this week. Friday maybe. But I won't post until you chaps have had a bash at it first.:sly:

Rob.

Torrence
03-16-2016, 06:51
More than one month ago I said maybe I could find the time "next week"...
Now I'm quite optimistic to play it coming Friday/Saturday, the ARR will most likely come Sunday! (As long as nothing intervenes again like last time)

TexaS
03-16-2016, 07:47
I would have played it the weekend ten days ago if not for the "disaster" mauling a few of my ships.

I have it all up on the gaming table and have already written the preamble.

Hoping to be able to squeeze it in this weekend.

Union Jack
03-16-2016, 11:07
Good going lads. I love the pace both campaigns are following.

TexaS
03-16-2016, 14:06
The enemy squadron:

It's been waiting for a breeze to give them steerage.

Hjl
03-17-2016, 12:07
I've had to invent some rules for row boats to tow the ships in the channel. It would appear to be impossible for the ships to get up the channel into the port.

Whoops... I just realized the wind is blowing south, not north! Might have to redo the scenario

Bligh
03-17-2016, 13:16
If your channel is too narrow to allow for short tacks against the wind move the island out a bit. I only had a Frigate choose that route. i can see what you mean. The tacking point should, however be quite critical. Don't make it too easy for the enemy ships.
Rob.

Union Jack
03-17-2016, 13:20
Better watch those channels Capn Duffs alter ego on the Drome is having problems with what's in his Staaken channel!

If your channel is too narrow to allow for short tacks against the wind move the island out a bit. I only had a Frigate choose that route. i can see what you mean. The tacking point should, however be quite critical. Don't make it too easy for the enemy ships.
Rob.

Bligh
03-17-2016, 13:37
Better watch those channels Capn Duffs alter ego on the Drome is having problems with what's in his Staaken channel!

They can always risk the open sea Neil.
Much better than the back passage. You might get ambushed by those Thai fighter Pirates.

Bligh.

spiessbuerger
03-20-2016, 12:30
Whoops... I just realized the wind is blowing south, not north! Might have to redo the scenario

Rob wrote: the AI ships has to "...beating against the southerly wind,..." to sail into the harbour.

So for me then it's a wind that is blowing direction north, like the wind marker shows in one of Robs pictures.

-> I think we need an official statement about the correct wind direction here.

Bligh
03-20-2016, 13:25
Officially you are correct Matthias.
The channel should be wide enough to tack, but only just.
Rob.

spiessbuerger
03-20-2016, 14:00
thanks Rob for the clarification.
Next weekend my ships hopefully at last sail out into the "March adventure" :steer:

TexaS
03-20-2016, 14:03
Oups... :shock:

I played it yesterday with a wind blowing from the shore to the south, ie a northerly wind. :bleh:

I read that comment and thought it should not be a leeward shore. :question:

TexaS
03-20-2016, 14:06
That is the risk of playing the scenario early before reading other AAR...

It's easier to see that you get everything correct if you wait a little.

Bligh
03-20-2016, 14:13
Sorry Jonas.
Post it anyway.
i would love to see it.
I really don't care as long as you enjoyed it.
I was thinking of making the wind variable, but felt that would make the channel too hard to negotiate. In your case the wind veered a bit. :wink:
Rob.

TexaS
03-20-2016, 17:12
Sorry Jonas.
Post it anyway.
i would love to see it.
I really don't care as long as you enjoyed it.
I was thinking of making the wind variable, but felt that would make the channel too hard to negotiate. In your case the wind veered a bit. :wink:
Rob.
I cannot deny such a request!

I will just have to sort through the pictures. It's just over a hundred.

Bligh
03-21-2016, 02:57
Good man!:thumbsup:
Rob.

TexaS
03-23-2016, 23:22
I hope to post it later today just before leaving for a convention, GothCon XL (it's the 40th one held).

The text is almost done and the pictures are ready.

Tordenskjold
03-24-2016, 00:52
Can't wait to read it and see the pictures:clap:
Morte

spiessbuerger
03-24-2016, 19:15
what about the reputation points for the players captains?

maybe:
1 RP for each participation
1-3 RP for every enemy (smaller/same size/ bigger) ship defeated, as described in the 2016 campaign rules
?

Union Jack
03-25-2016, 03:07
For the nation campaign it is important to show at end damage, prizes taken by individual ships.

Capn Duff
04-01-2016, 08:24
March been quite a hectic month for me and so will post my fleet AAR next week at some point, sorry for delay but three weekend shows and then Easter and family visits meant a big delay.

TexaS
04-01-2016, 11:02
That must be the most noble excuse possible for being a little late!

Capn Duff
04-01-2016, 12:21
:) thank you

Union Jack
04-01-2016, 15:45
Chris these are no pressure campaigns. Complete and post when you're ready.

Union Jack
04-04-2016, 04:56
Well this sceanrio went down like a box of frogs! (no pun intended I might add).

Around the ragged rocks, the ragged rascal ran......comes to mind.

Hjl
04-04-2016, 05:38
Yes, it was good. I enjoying being outnumbered and trying to find creative ways to grab a victory.

Union Jack
04-04-2016, 06:15
Well Pyrrhus comes to mind too.

Bligh
04-04-2016, 09:40
Well Pyrrhus comes to mind too.

Cruel but true Neil.:shock:
Rob.