PDA

View Full Version : Post Storm Scenerio

Coog
03-23-2012, 17:46
Late in the War of 1812 most U.S. frigates and the SOL Independence were unable to get to sea due to blockading British ships in superior numbers. I've been thinking of ways to create situations where the odds are evened up and an engagement or engagements could have occurred. One idea that crossed my mind was a tropical storm (a small hurricane might be a bit much) blows up the east coast of the U.S., which does happen from time to time, and damages blockading British ships along the coast. The question that I have is how well protected would U.S. ships be in their coastal harbors, and escape significant damage, while a number British ships suffered serious damge or possibly be sunk along the coast in their blockading positions? I would be looking for a situation something like Independence and Constitution (before her escape and eventual battle with Cyane and Levant) coming out of Boston Harbor to meet a force either equal in size or one hamstrung by damage to lessen their firepower and particularly manueverability. Another engagements would be United States and Macedonian coming out of New London to engage the remnants of the blockade there. Any thoughts on the possibility of a storm occurring with such results?

csadn
03-26-2012, 21:11
The question that I have is how well protected would U.S. ships be in their coastal harbors, and escape significant damage, while a number British ships suffered serious damge or possibly be sunk along the coast in their blockading positions?

The real problem is Wind Direction -- if the wind is blowing into the harbor, the ships inside can't get out anyway; if it's blowing out, the blockading ships will have a hard time remaining on station. (Never mind where the phrase "the calm before the storm" comes from -- one word: Trafalgar).

Slipping into/out-of harbor after storms was a relatively-common tactic -- the problem being: There was still the harbor, and whatever shoals, reefs, etc., were nearby, to contend with (witness what happened to USS _President_).

I don't see a storm as being particularly useful for a scenario -- no sane captain or admiral is going to fight in one; and afterward, there's going to be hours-if-not-days of sorting out the forces to contend with; before is an option, but the wind will be so low, there won't be much opportunity for maneuver.

Coog
03-27-2012, 06:37
Mainly what I was interested in was the damage a very severe storm might do to blockading ships. The kind of storm that causes ships to founder, masts to snap. Could the landscape of the harbors protect the ships in there while the blockading ships out in open water are badly battered. If so, the ships in harbor could sail out sometime after the storm, after repairing much lighter damage, if any at all. The blockading ships would still be repairing severe damage, if still afloat, replacing masts, pumping water, attempting to get free from being grounded by the force of the storm. The kind of damage that takes several days to repair. The number of blockading ships that would be able to engage the ships coming out of harbor would be negligable and may have to try to defend those that are "sitting ducks." An example of such might be:

Independence 74 and Constitution 44 sail out of Boston Harbor after a couple of days of minor repairs. The blockading force had three 74's and five frigates. One 74 was thrown upon a reef with severe hull damge and is not going anywhere. She has some use as stationary battery. A second 74 is still repairing severe mast damage and can barely maneuver. The third 74 still has some minor damage but is able to fight normally. Of the frigates, three are no longer useable. The other two, a 50 is badly damaged and the other, a 38 is able to fight normally with minor damage. The American ships could easily escape but see a chance to finish off or seize ships of what is left of the blockading force.

For the Americans it would definately be a game of maneuver, taking advantage of the British inability to maneuever. For the British, a struggle to use her damaged ships to support her maneuverable ones.

Bligh
03-27-2012, 07:41
Another option would be to use the after storm effect to reduce the number of British ships on station. If they had been forced to run before the wind for any time, it could take days for the blockade to re assemble. Time for the American squadron to nip out and attack the British ships in detail as they struggled to get back onto station in dribs and drabs.
Rob.

csadn
03-27-2012, 19:37
Could the landscape of the harbors protect the ships in there while the blockading ships out in open water are badly battered.

Possibly -- that what harbor locations were selected for, anyway. Tho' having seen how much damage high winds can inflict well inland, I don't know if a harbor would necessarily be any safer, or less damaging (tidal surges, windblown debris, etc.)