PDA

View Full Version : AAR January Solo Campaign Game - Maturin

Dr.Maturin
01-26-2016, 04:21
The Game Begins

Move 1. Advance (for 2 Manoeuvre cards) while enemy Frigate is stationary and transferring Prize Crew to Merchantman.

Move 2. Tack to starboard and attempt to close the range against a head wind.

Move 4. Enemy ship gets underway HMS Terpsichore goes into irons.

Move 4. Collision. HM ship fires starboard forward arc broadside inflicting 2 x B damage. (5/4 + 2 Crew) NB Courageuse already 3 x crew down for Prize Crew.

Move 4.

Move 5. Merchant gets underway and turns toward point B but goes into irons. Meanwhile the two Frigates are manoeuvring and pass each other on opposite tacks both firing their full port broadsides. Courageuse takes 5/2 +1 crew, Terpsichore suffers 4/2. Meanwhile Terpsichore reloads her starboard battery and Courageuse goes into irons.

Move 6. and enemy throws a 5 on a D6 and must therefore steer for point B.
Merchant goes into irons and despite desperate attempts by the Prize Crew to turn her toward Point B goes back into irons for a second time!

Move 7. The chase begins and both Frigates reload their port broadsides. Enemy Frigate goes into irons after second manoeuvre card.
Move 8. Enemy throws a 4 on a D6 and must therefore move toward HM ship.
Courageuse fires her starboard Aft Arc broadside inflicting 2/0 on her opponent while HMS Terpsichore replies with her full starboard broadside inflicting 6/4/3/ + 1 crew on the Frenchman.

Move 9. Terpsichore turns hard toward the Merchantman and goes into irons and Capt. Everitt De’Ath is heard to mutter “Damn this bloody wind!”.
Courageuse turns hard to starboard and both Frigates reload their starboard batteries.

Move 10. Merchantman turns to starboard in another attempt to head for Point B but again goes into iron. He just can’t manage to get his head across this wind and in consequence is actually forced even further off his ideal course.

At this point my camera decides to go wrong. This shot is supposed to show the overall position at the end of move 10.

Move 11. Camera starts to work again. (I believe it was stroppy b’cos I haven’t used it for over two years.) Anyway.
With it now being obvious that the merchantman was not going to make an exit at Point B (Full ruler distance along each edge) HMS Terpsichore decides to turn back to finsh off the obviously heavily damaged Frog.
Both fire long range Forward Arc broadsides with this time the Brit getting the worst of the exchange. Terpsichore 1 + 1 crew whilst the Frenchman drew a zero.

Move 12. Merchant man leaves the table. Courageuse find that it can not turn to starboard without going in to irons again so opts to just go straight with a mind to making a run for safety if it possibly can. Terpsichore turns hard to port so bringing it’s fully reloaded starboard battery to bear and give the French man a full broadside to which there can be no return as Courageuse’s starboard battery has not yet been reloaded, inflicting 2/1 + 1crew. Both ships now reload their eligible broad sides.
Move 13. (Unlucky for some!) Couraeuse still not able to turn to starboard now makes up his mind and goes hell for leather toward the table edge turning first to port and then to starboard hoping to out distance HM ship but to no avail. HMS Terpsichore overhauls the Frenchman and both exchange long rang full broadsides.
Courageuse takes 4 damage and strikes. HMS Terpsichore takes 2 damage + 1 crew.

I did look and there were lots of zero damage chits left in the bags. They obviously did not want to show themselves today.

Terpsichore boarded the Frenchie and having locked up the French crew on the lower deck and set a Prize crew to get the Badly damaged Frigate in at least some sort of order to enable it to sail, albeit slowly she then pursued the Merchantman and accepted her surrender without having to fire another shot.

THE BUTCHER’S BILL!

Courageuse

HMS Terpsichore

I very much enjoyed my very first solo Sails game although it did take a lot longer than expected. The good woman was threatening all sorts of dire consequences if I didn't release the dining table for her to serve our evening meal. Her parting shot, delivered with some force at 18.30 hours was, “ you just better have it cleared off by seven or else”. Some people just have no sense of occasion!

Maturin. 25.01.16

Yet again I have had a lot of problems uploading the pictures. I had, I thought, cracked it this time by following given advice in that I created the whole AAR in Word including re-sized photos. Imagine my dismay when only the text copied across. That means that I had to insert the pics manually which also means that I did not get the chance to re-size them so God knows what will actually show on this post. Well here goes!

Union Jack
01-26-2016, 04:39
That's the problem Reg, you can't add the pics into a word then post. Write it all up in word, I put reminders of which photo goes where in the text. Upload the text then add the photo's in the correct places.

That said this was a fantastic AAR. What a ding dong and your good lady added in as a third too! Well done, well done for finishing before 7 and great work posting a great AAR.

Results to be posted on the spreadsheet soon. and details of who got what in my next post.

Bligh
01-26-2016, 04:48
Well I'm very impressed with it Reg.

The pictures are just fine. The story is very clear and you maneuvered very well.
I always play my missions on a Thursday, when Mrs Bligh goes to her embroidery group. That gives me from about eight in the morning until one thirty to get the game done. If it is my morning for letting the cat out I can start about six, which gives me seven and a half hours for the really big games.
Rob.

Union Jack
01-26-2016, 04:50
Captain Everitt De'Ath

+1 Recapturing the merchant (left the table outside of the parameter)
+2 Sink/capture similar sized enemy ship

Prize Money:
+0 Courageuse (No undamaged hull boxes left)
+3 Bonus from merchant company for returning their ship.

HMS Terpsichore:
4 hull damage: Repair 1 hull box free (end of scenario rule); = 3 hull damage left.
1 crew loss

With your 3 prize money you can recruit 1 crew and repair 2 hull or repair 3 hull. Or leave Terpsichore in port to be repaired and recruit at leisure. (Basically means you either sale short handed and damaged, or pay to repair her quickly for immediate use or leave her in port until she is repaired and can't use her until she is)

Torrence
01-26-2016, 05:15
Nicely done!
And some pretty hard hits, too.

Dr.Maturin
01-26-2016, 08:47
Captain ??? (Need a name Reg)

+1 Recapturing the merchant (left the table outside of the parameter)
+2 Sink/capture similar sized enemy ship

Prize Money:
+0 Courageuse (No undamaged hull boxes left)
+3 Bonus from merchant company for returning their ship.

HMS Terpsichore:
3 hull damage: Repair 1 hull box free (end of scenario rule); = 2 hull damage left.
1 crew loss

With your 3 prize money you can recruit 1 crew and repair 2 hull. Or leave Terpsichore in port to be repaired and recruit at leisure. (Basically means you either sale short handed and damaged, or pay to repair her quickly for immediate use or leave her in port until she is repaired and can't use her until she is)

Thank you Neil.
Captain's Name is Everitt De'Ath, you can find him in the AAR "damning the bloody wind".
I will use my hard won prize money to repair and re-crew Terpsichore. Can't let her languish in port or sail damaged and understrength after she put up such a splendid show. Now just awaiting Everitt's Knighthood to come through once the Admiral's despatch reaches the Admiralty and is Gazetted.

Dr.Maturin
01-26-2016, 08:54
Thanks Rob.
Having started the game at just after 3 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon I was surprised to be taken in flank by the Mrs at 6.30. Just goes to prove the old saying, 'Time flies when you are enjoying yourself'. Perhaps if the damage counters had been the other way I might have been more aware of the outside world.
I must admit to great surprise that the photos came out all the same size in the post 'cos they were certainly not in the original. Does the forum select a uniform size for them, I wonder?
Reg

Union Jack
01-26-2016, 09:32
Apologies Terpsichore had 4 hull, 1 fixed for free = 3 hul damage and 1 crew loss.

With your 3 prize what do wish to repair. It costs 1 prize to repair 1 hull or recruit 1 crew.

Neil
PS: I've amended the post.

Dr.Maturin
01-26-2016, 09:42
Apologies Terpsichore had 4 hull, 1 fixed for free = 3 hul damage and 1 crew loss.

With your 3 prize what do wish to repair. It costs 1 prize to repair 1 hull or recruit 1 crew.

Neil
PS: I've amended the post.

I'll repair the hull and run with 1 x crew short for the time being thanks. Reg

Union Jack
01-26-2016, 10:49
Thanks for that Reg. Sheet amended and uploaded.