PDA

View Full Version : AAR - January Solo Campaign

Hjl
01-21-2016, 12:29
First off, sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. They were taken with my ipad.

Ships involved, HMS Vanguard (Captain Henry Watson), The Honorable Joann (merchant), Generaux

Having captured the merchant vessel the Generaux moves towards the Vanguard with the wind and closes rapidly.

--

The Vanguard veers to starboard and exchanges fire with the Generaux. Both ships come off fairly lightly but the Generaux suffers some crew losses.

--

The Vanguard is still heading into the wind and drifts to port. The Generaux is caught off guard and receives a raking shot to its bow. The ship is starting to take some damage now and the crew suffer yet more losses.

--

The two ships dance around one another trying to get the advantage while the gun crews desperately reload!

The captured merchant ship is making an escape and Captain Watson is too busy fighting the French Man of War to do much about it.

--

Captain Watson orders the Vanguards crew to load double shot into its starboard guns. With the French ship in close pursuit the Vanguard turns hard to starboard and unleashes a devastating close range volley raking down the bow of the Generaux doing massive damage!

The Generaux loses one of its masts and suffers very heavy crew losses. The crew are wavering and the French captain considers striking their colours.

--

The Generaux gives one final push, it is still behind the Vanguard and has a line of shot. The French gun crews fire their port guns but they have suffered too much damage and lost too many guns. The Vanguard takes an unlucky hit below the water line and starts taking water.

--

The repair crews of the HMS Vanguard get to work patching the hull and Captain Watson turns the ship starboard. The Generaux moves up to point blank range with Vanguard and both gun crews open fire. The Vanguard takes another hit below the waterline but the Generaux is devastated. Having lost too many crew to remain combat effective the French ship surrenders!

The crew of the HMS Vanguard shout hurrah!! and send a prize crew over to the Generaux.

--

The ship statuses as reported to the Admiralty.

--

Captain Henry Watson notes his disappointment to find that the The Honorable Joann has made its escape, but also mentions that with the Generaux no longer prowling the area the loss of one merchant ship is a small price to pay for the dramatic improvement in the safety of the merchant shipping route.

Bligh
01-21-2016, 13:23
A very neatly carried out first action Hugh.
The pictures did not detract from the story line too much, and you made it very clear what was going on.
I enjoyed it very much.
Rob.

Hjl
01-21-2016, 13:31
This is my 3rd ever game of SOG. Im sure I made some mistakes, hopefully nothing that would have changed the outcome too dramatically.

on a side note I am ordering a few more ships to supplement the starter set.
HMS Britannia
HMS Swan

Montagne
Alligator

Do you think these would be a good purchase? It would give me a ship of every class.

Bligh
01-21-2016, 15:34
It is a good choice to begin with.
From my own experience you need at least one three decker and a sloop, three Frigates are the most I have ever used.
Two are really essential. The bulk of your purchases after this should for now be 74s. They made up the core of a Squadron.
Rob.

Union Jack
01-21-2016, 16:33
Hugh one point to remember for future games you can only rake with your main broadside arc not the fore or rear arcs.

I'll get these results posted 'poste haste'.

Neil

Union Jack
01-21-2016, 16:46
HMS Defence:
Taken 3 hull and 2 crew damage during battle.
Repairs 1 hull damage for free (end of scenario rule)
Returning to port with 2 hull damage and 2 crew loss.

Reputation Points:
+2 for sinking/capturing a ship the same size as yours.
Prize Money:
+1 for 1 undamaged hull box on the Genereux.

You need to pick two of your captains to have Captains Abilities chosen from the list in the rules sticky.

Union Jack
01-21-2016, 16:47
Well done on your first AAR.

KDz
01-22-2016, 02:02
Well done :thumbsup:

Naharaht
01-22-2016, 10:20
A good first AAR, Hugh! :thumbsup:

TexaS
01-22-2016, 11:26
Good AAR!

About buying ships I would recommend the 40 gun frigates. I think it is a sweet spot for the game.

Union Jack
01-22-2016, 12:52
Hugh all your ships details and captains are now up to date.

Can you access the spreadsheet, just want to make sure.

Neil

spiessbuerger
01-23-2016, 05:43
HMS Defence:
Reputation Points:
+2 for sinking/capturing a ship the same size as yours.
Prize Money:
+1 for 1 undamaged hull box on the Genereux.

did the HMS Defence/Vanguard not outsail the merchant after capturing the Genereux?
This would give 1 RP more and additional 3 prize money.

[see scenario rules: If the merchant leaves the table outside these parameters (1/2 or full ruler length of corner) and you either drive off (ie leaves the table) capture or sink the enemy ship then consider the merchantman recaptured as you can out sail her.]

Union Jack
01-23-2016, 09:48
It wasn't clear where the merchant left the playing area. Until informed I assume it managed to exit within the stipulated area. Otherwise you are correct.

Hjl
01-24-2016, 13:56
Oh right,the merchant ship fled the table 2 turns before I defeated the enemy ship from my table edge.

Torrence
01-24-2016, 16:24
Nice AAR and storytelling, Hugh!
Well done!

Union Jack
01-24-2016, 16:25
The only answer to clarify is: Did the merchant ship leave the table inside or outside the 1/2 or full ruler length of corner parameter?

Hjl
01-24-2016, 21:05
Oh I see. No, the merchant ship left the board at the opposite corner to B.

Union Jack
01-25-2016, 06:52
If the merchant left the table at A and was within the distance then you cannot claim it as a prize. If the merchant left the table near point A but was outside the distance indicated then you may.

Hjl
01-25-2016, 18:19
The merchant left the board right next to point A. Definitely within half a ruler.

Union Jack
01-26-2016, 04:19
Then the points stand as is.