PDA

View Full Version : Rules question from a new player.

Hjl
01-04-2016, 00:57
Hi everyone. I got a copy of sog for Christmas. So far we have had a few games and it is fantastic! We decided to jump in the deep end and go with the advanced rules. During one of the games a situation came up and we had no idea how to proceed.

During a particularly bloody combat the enemy ship had one of its masts destroyed. The next turn the wind changed and he was now facing into it. Which move should he do? The red move for facing into the wind, or the broken mast move? The mast move has no numbers on it so how would you know which red move to take?

Thanks for the help!

Ps, lesson 6 from playing sog: a frigate makes a very poor choice for boarding a ship of the line, even a wounded one!

Bligh
01-04-2016, 01:31
Hi Hugh.
Firstly welcome to the Anchorage and the British Fleet, even though you are a bit far away. Strange to say, this very incident occurred in one of my games for the first time this Christmas, and after some discussion we decided that with the mast and sails over the side acting as a sea anchor or drag, we would proceed with just the mast damage card. I don't know if this is correct, but it worked O.K. for us. No doubt some more expert member than I will come along to give us the definitive answer.
Meanwhile, why don't we repair to the Wardroom for a jug or two of virtual ale.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
01-04-2016, 04:32
Should be a randomly drawn red maneuver card in this case. :wink:

Nightmoss
01-04-2016, 09:00
Greetings Hugh. Welcome aboard the Anchorage! :salute:

2500kgm3
01-04-2016, 11:30
That never happened to me before. It's great to have that answer before the problem arises!

Bligh
01-04-2016, 11:54
Thanks for clearing that one up Sven.
Rob.

Herkybird
01-04-2016, 12:26
Hi everyone. I got a copy of sog for Christmas. So far we have had a few games and it is fantastic! We decided to jump in the deep end and go with the advanced rules. During one of the games a situation came up and we had no idea how to proceed.

During a particularly bloody combat the enemy ship had one of its masts destroyed. The next turn the wind changed and he was now facing into it. Which move should he do? The red move for facing into the wind, or the broken mast move? The mast move has no numbers on it so how would you know which red move to take?

Thanks for the help!

Ps, lesson 6 from playing sog: a frigate makes a very poor choice for boarding a ship of the line, even a wounded one!

Welcome aboard Sir! I hope you thoroughly enjoy more games of SofG - I, too, was introduced to the game using most of the advanced rules, and I rarely play anything else now.
:beer:

Torrence
01-04-2016, 12:29
Coincidently we had exactly the same problem at our gaming round yesterday evening: All members of my fleet had broken masts at nearly the exact same moment and turned in the wind, so we had the chance to choose the one of the red movement cards that fit the situation best. We played a custom scenario with a chase and manoeuvring around a lot of reefs and small islands, so we had a huge advantage, being able to make surprising, quick turns. The enemy team naturally felt humbugged but none of us knew how to combine the "broken masts" and "movement against the wind" rules.

Should be a randomly drawn red maneuver card in this case. :wink:

Sven, thank you! :thumbsup:
Next time we'll try that rule; it really makes a lot more sense!

Hjl
01-04-2016, 17:06
How is the manufacturer about replying to rules queries?

I've played 4 games so far and loved them! I even tried to get my wife involved, but apparently a napoleonic era naval captaincy simulator ship to ship combat game is too nerdy for her! Women eh?

Naharaht
01-04-2016, 18:52
Welcome to the Anchorage, Hugh.

Bligh
01-05-2016, 01:02
How is the manufacturer about replying to rules queries?

I've played 4 games so far and loved them! I even tried to get my wife involved, but apparently a Napoleonic era naval captaincy simulator ship to ship combat game is too nerdy for her! Women eh?

The response can be a bit hit and miss, but we do have several contacts within the firm or who have tested the product.Several of them are members either on the Anchorage or Wings. If they spot a post they generally give a response. This includes Andrea Angiolino, the originator of the game, who has written a number of lengthy answers to some of our questions.
Rob.

TexaS
01-05-2016, 02:00
Welcome to the Anchorage! :salute:

I had that same situation in one of the solo-missions this summer. That was due to touching shore while tacking so it was a one in three done-for situation.
Or a little more since a straight move would probably have worked for just one turn.