PDA

View Full Version : AAR. The Merchantman.

Bligh
01-02-2016, 13:04
Cool Hand Corfe.

Captain Denis Corfe surveyed the horizon astern of his Frigate the Amelia. Using his spyglass, he could see the ship which had been shadowing him for the past days still holding course silhouetted in the false dawn.
Well, he had made his decision last evening watch, and with all hands mustered at their stations to meet the dawn, as was prescribed in the Admiralty regulations for all of His Majesty's ships at sea he was ready.

"Bring her about Boatswain." He instructed.

"Aye, aye sir." replied Cummings the Amelia's Boatswain, a man of some 25 years Naval experience. " Luff your helm." As the hands manned the braces, the Helmsman steadily put up the wheel, and answering the helm Amelia came up into the eye of the wind. She still had enough way on her to answer the helm, and before paying off crossed onto the opposite tack. a flurry of adjusting sheets and tacks followed, and within minutes she was heading back on a course to investigate the strange ship astern.

Adopting a course to cross the bow of the strange vessel, and with the true Dawn making seeing much clearer, Corfe could now make out that the ship was a large Merchantman. What had been obscured by its bulk until now was the French Frigate, hove too alongside, and just launching a boat to take possession of what had obviously become its prize.

Within minutes, the Frenchman was getting underway, and made straight for the Amelia.

Holding her course Amelia had the advantage of the Frenchman, who crowded on sail in an attempt to head her,

but the fast sailing Amelia had the legs of her and once clear of the Frenchman's bow, came about right smartly and headed directly for the Merchantman.

As the Frenchman followed her, Corfe Starboarded his helm, and cut across the enemies bow, " Fire as you bear." he ordered, and one by one Amelia's cannon roared out as the punished the French Captains mistake. Hands fell on the French deck and the steering was damaged, before the Amelia put clear water between the two ships.

This gave the French Captain chance to rake the Amelia in return, but with his crew and firepower already depleted, the shaken men could not return an effective reply.

Though hands fell and the rudder took damage Amelia continued on course for the Merchantman which, having come about, was now getting underway herself.

With a damaged Mizzen from the French Frigates fire, she was never destined to outrun Amelia. Inexorably Corfe closed the distance.

However, not to be outsailed the french frigate had crowded on all sail, and coming about on the port tack was now approaching the action.

With the merchantman in Irons after sailing a point too close to the wind,
Captain Corfe Ported his helm, putting himself in a position to board the Frenchman,

Instead both Captains chose to exchange Broadsides as they passed, with half an eye on the danger of running foul of the Merchantman, which was getting under way once more.

Holed amidships, Amelia started to take on water, which the pumps soon had under control whilst the ships Carpenter went to work repairing the damage.
The French ship though faring better, lost even more crewmen which was now beginning to effect its efficiency.
For an instant it seemed as if the three ships would collide, but some last minute trimming and the merchantman's swing to Port ensured that all ships managed to scrape by each other.

Corfe now put a shot across the Merchants bows, and as both ships hove to, sent a boat across to take back the prize and release her crew.

Having made off, the Frenchman now started to come about for a last effort to settle the score.

Amelia raised her sea anchor, and got under way in order to meet the challenge.
Within minutes both ships were again trading broadsides, and this time it was the Amelia who came off worst in crew losses.

Nevertheless, it was the French Captain's last throw of the dice, and a few minutes later it was his flag which came down in surrender.

for the second time that day Captain Corfe despatched the jolly boat with a prize crew aboard.
Despite the carnage which greeted the First as he scrambled over the Tumblehome, the French Captain, Andre Locoer was unscathed, and presented his sword to the worthy victors' Lieutenant.
Because of his great aplomb in dealing with the situation so adroitly, from that day onward, Captain Denis Corfe became known as "Cool hand Corfe" throughout the Navy.

Captain Bligh raised a toast to his successful colleague.

Bligh.

Bligh
01-02-2016, 13:05
The Butcher's Bill.

Bligh.

Union Jack
01-02-2016, 17:10
What a lovely game played in the true spirit of frigate encounters. Never give an inch nor a mile when the enemy's close enough to smile.

Another close game Dennis but your opponent has more experience.

Well done to both captains.

KDz
01-03-2016, 03:07
:thumbsup:

Bligh
01-03-2016, 08:12
What a lovely game played in the true spirit of frigate encounters. Never give an inch nor a mile when the enemy's close enough to smile.

Another close game Dennis but your opponent has more experience.

Well done to both captains.

Actually Neil Denis captained the Amelia against the AI so he took all the honours. Hence the name Cool hand Corfe.
Rob.

Union Jack
01-03-2016, 10:42
Well blow me down...apologies Dennis and a damn well done and good show all round then.

Cmmdre
01-03-2016, 10:49
Thank you for posting this AAR Rob. Looks like a comfortable sea to sail upon. :hatsoff:

Herkybird
01-03-2016, 11:47
Was the merchantman using an AI captain? :question:

What a lovely looking game, well done Sir! :salute:

Bligh
01-04-2016, 01:40
Yes, Richard. The Merchantman was also AI controlled to the extent that it had to make off towards the bottom corner. If a silly card came up it would be adjusted, but using the corner as an enemy ship worked fine. Once recaptured it came under Denis's control, and headed for its home port at best speed.
Rob.

Herkybird
01-04-2016, 12:22
Yes, Richard. The Merchantman was also AI controlled to the extent that it had to make off towards the bottom corner. If a silly card came up it would be adjusted, but using the corner as an enemy ship worked fine. Once recaptured it came under Denis's control, and headed for its home port at best speed.
Rob.

Hmmm, I think that may be a good idea for a chart ---thanks for the thought....I may have a go at one when I am not so tired!!!! :thumbsup:

Naharaht
01-10-2016, 17:36
A good AAR, Rob! :thumbsup:

Bligh
01-11-2016, 01:23
Thanks for the comments chaps.
A chart for ships randomly getting away from another ship, or heading for a set spot would be of inestimable value Richard.
Rob.

Herkybird
01-11-2016, 03:02
Thanks for the comments chaps.
A chart for ships randomly getting away from another ship, or heading for a set spot would be of inestimable value Richard.
Rob.

I will have done one! :fixit:

Its currently in the moderation queue. I will happily send it on to you direct if you E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com.

Union Jack
01-11-2016, 08:22
Thank you Richard, this will help us out tremendously.

Gotham Resident
01-19-2016, 15:20
What an excellent AAR. I feel like I should check myself for splinters!