PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Argonauta with rigging



Union Jack
12-06-2015, 17:29
My first attempt at rigging a ship I decided to modify the SoG Argonauta to include ratlines and rigging. Whilst the rigging may not be historically accurate for wargames and my own purposes it would suffice.

I decided at first to rig the ship between the masts using the thinnest fishing line I had in my tackle box. I drilled holes between the mast sections the idea being to run lines from one mast to another but one mast section lower.

Here is a sequence of pics showing the line from lower fore mast to top of the mizzen running through the main mast.
18442

18441

18443

18444

I followed the same principle for each mast and spar section. first wiring from fore mast up to main, then Main to Mizzen. I finished off with the two bowsprit lines the upper one traveling across all three mast tops and down to the lower spar on the mizzen.

Once the glue had set I trimmed the excess with a sharp craft knife blade.

18445
Here most lines are awaiting attachment and a spot of super glue.

I then used some spare Langton ratlines from a 1st rate kit and attached these to the models. Placing glue under each spar/cross trees and either along the side of the cross trees or on top of the gunwale. The running lines between masts and the ratline were painted black. I also touched up the sails and lines on the sails to make them stand out more.

18446

18447

18448

I also added a Langton Spanish flag and main mast pennant.

I considered the ship finished. Then thought no.....I'll add some more lines. So began the long task of running lines from the end of each spar to same level point on the mast behind it round that mast and back to the opposite end of the spar from where I started. (Making a V shape).

There is enough spar protruding to tie each thread off in a clove hitch which secure the thread for gluing without it moving or slackening off. When dry the thread was past round the corresponding mast and with a second clove hitch tied off at the other end of the spar. (This was repeated for each spar except the mizzen). Once finally dry the excess of the threads were trimmed off.

I only struggled with the top of the main mast as I had 1 spar to many so I just linked this round the same point as the spar below.

I finished off by running two lines from the prow sail back to the hull.

Here you can see the finished Argonauta ready to sail.

18449

18450

18451

18452

I used some spare fishing line (I don't know thickness but it was thin).

Thread was brown Mettler/SERALON/100% polyester/Colour 900/M7001

Kentop
12-07-2015, 09:33
Wonderful work. I always wondered if you could rig the fore stays the way you did, by drilling holes through the mast. I was just too afraid of destroying the spindly things. You have inspired me, though. Great job.

Union Jack
12-07-2015, 09:41
If by forestays, those at the very front, then they just touch the jib (is that correct?) glued along the length of the sail and hole drilled through the fighting top of the foremast. In fact the fighting tops are where all the holes went through not the masts. These are thicker and hide much of the wire/thread.

Clipper1701
12-07-2015, 09:41
Very nice indeed! I must get inspired, my ships are awash with dust, maybe over the holiday break . . .

Kentop
12-07-2015, 09:53
If by forestays, those at the very front, then they just touch the jib (is that correct?) glued along the length of the sail and hole drilled through the fighting top of the foremast. In fact the fighting tops are where all the holes went through not the masts. These are thicker and hide much of the wire/thread.

Every mast has forestays and backstays as standing rigging. So I meant all of the forestays. The backstays, of course, become what everybody calls ratlines. They are also called shrouds. The ratlines are actually the horizontal bits of rope attached to the shrouds. Everybody has different names for parts of the ship and it can be very confusing. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Redcoat
12-07-2015, 12:24
Neil, great ship and great work! :beer:
I hope Ares put for sale more spanish ships...:question:

Comte de Brueys
12-07-2015, 12:33
Nice and precise work, Neil.

This one looks really upgraded. :salute:

Bligh
12-07-2015, 15:01
Certainly gives it the look Neil.:clap:
I must talk to you about this at some time.
Rob.

Nightmoss
12-07-2015, 15:14
Great work and a nice series of photos. :thumbsup:

7eat51
12-07-2015, 23:15
Great job, Neil. :hatsoff:

Admirable work.

TexaS
12-08-2015, 08:52
Great work, Neil!

Naharaht
12-15-2015, 01:09
Well done, Neil. That looks really good! :thumbsup: