PDA

View Full Version : USS Constitution, HMS Defence, Unite and Aquilon: My first conversions

Northern Wolves
12-05-2015, 17:24
Following the excellent tutorials from several of you here are the first ships I have done. I have since put small painted dots on the sides of the motion bases for the wind indicators as each ship has a unique profile in that regards.

I used a dremel to do the sails, some of the masts are original plastic and some (the best) are guitar strings. In other words I took the lazy route on a couple and the long route on others. The Aquilon is the only one without ratlines for now.

I want to use Langton's sails for the next conversions but unsure which sizes to buy for what ships with the 1/1000 - 1/1200 difference. I desperately want the Constitution and United States to have battle sails.

I only regret not turning my yards slightly to port or starboard, but will do that on the rest I do. I bought a grass mat from the hobby store and with blue and white spray paint I made it pass as open ocean. I threw a British flag on the Unite and will soon repaint and call her the Surprise.

The biggest thing I want to change is the type of glue used, what I used is far too runny, any suggestions?

I'm happy with the results though I have learned what methods I will use from now on. combined with a set of advanced rules that doubles the burden of all ships and makes changing sail setting take a full turn, I had a rather brutal slugfest between two 74's last night that was very long and enjoyable, a double rake at the end finally finishing one off.

Thanks for the tips!

Union Jack
12-06-2015, 02:29
And very nice they look too.

Nightmoss
12-06-2015, 11:32
Ships look great!! That closeup broadside is especially cool! :thumbsup:

Coog
12-06-2015, 11:40
Well done! Very nice looking models.:thumbsup:

Northern Wolves
12-06-2015, 12:28
Thank you, I certainly have the conversion bug now.

Coog, your excellent work here http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2585-The-United-States-Navy-1797 has given me a long term plan. Also I love the Philadelphia card you did Nightmoss, where did that frigate image come from in the card?

Redcoat
12-06-2015, 13:10
Great ships! Congrats for the result :beer:

Bligh
12-06-2015, 13:52
Certainly a very neat set of conversions. They look superb!

Also the photographic effect gives that warm tone like an oil painting.
Rob.

TexaS
12-08-2015, 07:54
Great work! Looks beautiful!

7eat51
12-09-2015, 23:03
Well done, Mike. :thumbsup:

As for sails questions, you might want to contact Vol (Volunteer) or Rory (Devsdoc). They do a lot of modeling. Both are familiar with Langton's and Vol fabricates his own sails.