PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ship and/or the Flying Dutchman?

Nightmoss
10-22-2015, 13:16
What can I say, one thing leads to another. Thinking of Halloween, ghost ships and eerily painted spectral ships (which I just happened to have on hand) I thought it might be fun to combine Sails of Glory with Wings of Glory.

So come along and see the Flying Dutchman take flight. Of course this is leading into something else, but I've just started that project. More later. Cheers and enjoy!

Redcoat
10-22-2015, 13:42
So original ship!
I like it a lot. :beer:

Capn Duff
10-22-2015, 17:13
Now that is pretty nifty, like even though Im not a big supporter of having pirates in the game as it stands.
Well done sir

Nightmoss
10-22-2015, 22:45
Now that is pretty nifty, like even though Im not a big supporter of having pirates in the game as it stands.
Well done sir

Thanks! I don't consider the FD to be piratical, although that's certainly Disney's take in their recent films. While I've not done any research I'd guess stories of ghost ships have been around much longer than the Dutchman tales and it's a perfect time of year to share some spooky stuff. :happy:

Bligh
10-23-2015, 03:02
Impressive!
In my younger days, I used to drink a Gin in Holland with my Aunt's husband called Flying Dutchman (Vliegende Hollander) I think. I don't believe that you can get it now, but the effect was somewhat similar to that of your ship Jim. First you thought you were flying, then you went green.:wink:
Rob.

Nightmoss
10-23-2015, 09:04
Impressive!
In my younger days, I used to drink a Gin in Holland with my Aunt's husband called Flying Dutchman (Vliegende Hollander) I think. I don't believe that you can get it now, but the effect was somewhat similar to that of your ship Jim. First you thought you were flying, then you went green.:wink:
Rob.

From comments here I know you're fond of gin, but that's a beverage in any combination that's guaranteed to make me green. :erk:

TexaS
10-23-2015, 12:11
Great ship, Jim! I like the shape of the hull, but it looks like you still can use it without the below the waterline part. It that so?

...the effect was somewhat similar to that of your ship Jim. First you thought you were flying, then you went green.:wink:
Rob.

I can believe that!

Bligh
10-23-2015, 12:12
I think that starting young is the reason that I can drink it happily now Jim, but I can well understand your dislike of it. It does seem to be an acquired taste.
Rob.

Nightmoss
10-24-2015, 10:17
Great ship, Jim! I like the shape of the hull, but it looks like you still can use it without the below the waterline part. It that so?

I can believe that!

Exactly so, Jonas. The idea initially was to try modeling some hulls for static ship displays, but allow for the SoG ships to still be used for their original purpose. I used modeling clay to roughly sculpt the hulls and then cast them in plastic. Magnets hold the SoG ship to the base hull.

They're far from accurate, but work well enough if you're far enough away. Now I'm thinking of contacting a friend who has a 3D printer and skills in 3D software rendering to help out.

Photo included as a reference to the split hull design. Cheers!

7eat51
10-24-2015, 11:14
Jim, that is awesome. You're our Flying Cheesehead. :hatsoff:

This is seeding some ideas. It could be fun to put such a ship in air, and as it approaches, pegs are removed or added. This way, the ship can swoop in, fire, maybe be fired upon, and then rise to safety.

I think the primary way I am going to get younger folks to play in our area, is to do some ahistorical scenarios such as pirates, sea monsters, races, etc. - true with Wings as well. Fantasy, as opposed to historical, is the primary (mmm, maybe only) genre alive at our FLGS. Outside of the WoG and SoG games I run, I don't think I ever saw folks playing historical games.

Cmmdre
10-24-2015, 12:48
:medal: Truly fantastic Jim! Always impressive work. Top-notch. Any thought to adding an eerie fog bank?

Nightmoss
10-24-2015, 16:35
Jim, that is awesome. You're our Flying Cheesehead. :hatsoff:

This is seeding some ideas. It could be fun to put such a ship in air, and as it approaches, pegs are removed or added. This way, the ship can swoop in, fire, maybe be fired upon, and then rise to safety.

I think the primary way I am going to get younger folks to play in our area, is to do some ahistorical scenarios such as pirates, sea monsters, races, etc. - true with Wings as well. Fantasy, as opposed to historical, is the primary (mmm, maybe only) genre alive at our FLGS. Outside of the WoG and SoG games I run, I don't think I ever saw folks playing historical games.

Well, the flying ship idea is not original of course, but I've got some things that I'll share once they're further along. They build on my interest in Science Fiction, Fantasy and Steampunk. You can probably guess where this is going if you've read Jules Verne and/or H. G. Wells. :wink:

:medal: Truly fantastic Jim! Always impressive work. Top-notch. Any thought to adding an eerie fog bank?

That would be cool and possible with some photo editing. Something similar to this, although this is a different time and place?

Gunner
10-24-2015, 21:32
That's great Jim. Broke out in a laugh when I saw it.:drinks:

Bligh
10-25-2015, 03:38
Very innovative and imaginative all round Jim.:clap:
I foresee quite a few people emulating your ideas.
If it leads to more interest in Sails, it is all to the good.
Rob.

Nightmoss
10-25-2015, 10:03
Very innovative and imaginative all round Jim.:clap:
I foresee quite a few people emulating your ideas.
If it leads to more interest in Sails, it is all to the good.
Rob.

Agreed 100%. We need more Sails sailors!! :happy:

Nightmoss
10-25-2015, 15:27
First attempt at some foggy Dutchman flying. I think it still needs more fog, clouds and maybe some lightning? :wink:

Bligh
10-26-2015, 01:38
Now that is really atmospheric Jim.:hatsoff:
Rob.

TexaS
10-26-2015, 11:43
That's really nice. Very spooky!

Cmmdre
10-30-2015, 21:01
EERIE!!

Loki 13
10-30-2015, 22:17
:beer: That's cool. :beer:

Naharaht
12-15-2015, 00:18
So will it be appearing in a Wings of Glory Scenario sometime, Jim?

Gunner
12-15-2015, 00:37
So will it be appearing in a Wings of Glory Scenario sometime, Jim?

As soon as they can spin the helm fast enough to gain a little more altitude.:beer:

7eat51
12-15-2015, 07:56
I forgot how incredible this ship looks. The colors are arresting, for sure.

Volunteer
01-13-2016, 07:33
What can I say, one thing leads to another. Thinking of Halloween, ghost ships and eerily painted spectral ships (which I just happened to have on hand) I thought it might be fun to combine Sails of Glory with Wings of Glory.

So come along and see the Flying Dutchman take flight. Of course this is leading into something else, but I've just started that project. More later. Cheers and enjoy!

Sorry for chiming in late Jim. I love this! Super job!:salute:

Nightmoss
01-13-2016, 10:19
Thanks Vol. It was one of those 'left field' projects that turned out to be a lot of fun. :happy:

Bligh
01-13-2016, 11:33
I am impressed every time it takes center stage.
Rob.

Nightmoss
12-15-2016, 13:12
DB recently brought up the idea of a Grim Reaper figurehead so that gave me the idea to craft one for the Flying Dutchman. It is overly large, but that gives it more impact for the ship. Otherwise, it might be hard to see it considering our scale. Cheers.

Bligh
12-15-2016, 13:31
He shoots, he scores!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIDNlEP9KE

Rob.

Devsdoc
12-15-2016, 15:00
O.M.G. what lovely work. Nice stuff Jim, as always.
Be safe
Rory

Redcoat
12-15-2016, 16:39
The Death! TheDeath! - They were the last words of those unhappy that crossed with her...

as I said last time I love this ship.:thumbsup:

TexaS
12-15-2016, 22:28
That's beautiful!

-Who are you?
-I am Death.
-Have you come for me?
-I have long walked by your side.

Nightmoss
12-16-2016, 07:40
Thank you all for the positive comments (and rep). Much appreciated.

Rob, that recording is incredible! :happy:

Bligh
12-16-2016, 08:14
If you enjoyed it half as much as I enjoyed your ship, everyone will be happy Jim.
I thought it was tremendous. All the menace and dread of facing a Pirate ship with the added chill down the spine of the overall pervading reek of the underworld.

Not the sort of ship to meet on a stormy night in the North Atlantic, or even on a sunny day in the Caribbean for that matter. :shock:
Rob.

Joshamee Gibbs
02-19-2017, 03:32
I've just seen this posted over on the Wings site.
Truly brilliant.