PDA

View Full Version : Finer grained wind + compass rose

TroubleAtTMill
10-05-2015, 06:02
Noting that Warbases have just put out a gorgeous acrylic compass rose marked down to the NNE etc gradations, I was wondering about using it for SoG, in conjunction with:

a) making wind changes 2 points (e.g. NE to ENE) rather than 4 (NE to E)

b) taking half the 'no direction change' chits out of the wind change stack

Result, more and subtler wind changes.

http://war-bases.co.uk/ACCESSORIES/GAMING-AIDS?product_id=664

Union Jack
10-05-2015, 06:38
Ooh that looks nice. Will have to investigate more fully. Great find, cheers.

Bligh
10-05-2015, 12:41
It certainly looks a very attractive piece of kit Mike.
The subtle wind change possibility is much more to my liking too.
Thanks for flagging it up.
Rob.

Naharaht
10-05-2015, 22:11
I also notice that they produce different size bases including 75x50 mm but they are brown. Obviously they would need to be repainted.

TroubleAtTMill
10-06-2015, 04:08
I also notice that they produce different size bases including 75x50 mm but they are brown. Obviously they would need to be repainted.

They also do custom orders and can laser cut acrylic, so.....

TroubleAtTMill
10-06-2015, 04:11
It certainly looks a very attractive piece of kit Mike.
The subtle wind change possibility is much more to my liking too.
Thanks for flagging it up.
Rob.

Thought of an even more interesting tweak. Wind changes TEND to continue in the same direction, so how about the following rules tweak:

When you draw the second matching chit, wind changes 2 points (e.g. NE to ENE), but you only remove ONE of the two direction change chits from the table.

Bligh
10-06-2015, 06:05
That sounds very much better than the last game I played where the wind only changed once during the whole game veering one compass point.
Rob.

Bligh
10-06-2015, 06:08

I could live with the brown wood effect, and pretend it was the compass in the ships binnacle box Dave.
Rob.