PDA

View Full Version : Nuku Hiva Campaign

Coog
03-04-2012, 20:19
While the Napoleonic War raged in Europe and Britain and the United States were battling in North America and on the high seas, the crew of USS Essex were engaged in another war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuku_Hiva_Campaign

Berthier
03-05-2012, 00:46
Cant say that the campaign leaves anyone coming out with much reputation. Typical for the times, the first "europeans/US" to land in force claim it for the homeland despite the presence of thousands of native residents and then immediately get involved in an inter-tribal war...Cortes would have been proud.

Coog
03-05-2012, 06:20
Cant say that the campaign leaves anyone coming out with much reputation. Typical for the times, the first "europeans/US" to land in force claim it for the homeland despite the presence of thousands of native residents and then immediately get involved in an inter-tribal war...Cortes would have been proud.

Typical for the times. Isn't it typical for mankind throughout history?

David Manley
03-05-2012, 11:38
As i read it I could almost see the turn of events as a Star Trek episode :)

Coog
03-05-2012, 12:06

Complete with the "Red Shirt" (the Midshipman) getting killed in the landing party!

Coog
03-05-2012, 13:12

You may be on to something.

csadn
03-05-2012, 18:24

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Essex

Coog
03-05-2012, 18:37
Hmmm....If we are not careful we may end up with Impulse Engines of Glory. But there are probably those out there who have already developed their own game with the WoW system.

David Manley
03-05-2012, 22:25
Going the other way I know of someone who has developed an age of sail game from the "Full Thrust" set of SF starship combat rules

"Mr Hardy, raise the shields"

Berthier
03-06-2012, 02:17
Didn't the original developers of WOG/WOG having a falling out with Fantasy Games over just such a space game using their system but not crediting them? Could be my imagination but I'm sure I read something along those lines somewhere...then again i alos hear voices : )

David Manley
03-06-2012, 11:12
There have been various discussions and comments relating to a Star Wars fighter combat game, yes.

csadn
03-06-2012, 17:40
Going the other way I know of someone who has developed an age of sail game from the "Full Thrust" set of SF starship combat rules

"Mr Hardy, raise the shields"

This would be any of the games based on David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series, then.

I'm waiting for one based on David Drake's "Republic of Cinnabar" series -- a far-superior series, I might add.... >;)

David Manley
03-06-2012, 23:17
This would be any of the games based on David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series, then.

No, there are several HH variants for Full Thrust out there as well. This one was a proper "salt and sails" wet navy sailing variant.

(Next HH book coming out later this month, IIRC)

csadn
03-07-2012, 18:01
(Next HH book coming out later this month, IIRC)

It's already out here -- stopped by Barnes & Noble, and, "Oh, god, not *another* one...."

Blackrose
03-10-2012, 04:28

I'm waiting for one based on David Drake's "Republic of Cinnabar" series -- a far-superior series, I might add.... >;)

I wouldn't say superior, just a different writing and story telling style. I like both authors and series (I have pretty much everything from both authors).
There are times I wish Drake had written something for the Battletech storyline, esp back in the 90s. I used to write Drakian-style storys for that in my head.
Karl

csadn
03-10-2012, 20:30
There are times I wish Drake had written something for the Battletech storyline, esp back in the 90s. I used to write Drakian-style storys for that in my head.

A nice idea -- but I think Drake is a tad too dark for the _BT_-verse; let's face it, a lot of his stuff is seriously depressing (tho' his earlier stuff -- from when he was just back from The South-East-Asian Unpleasantness -- is worse than his more-recent stuff; do *NOT* read _Redliners_ with easy access to sharp objects!).

David Manley
03-10-2012, 22:33
At least he doesn't write with extensive end-notes. I'm certain that Weber will have to start doing that soon just so readers can keep track of the back-story!! :D

Blackrose
03-11-2012, 03:54
A nice idea -- but I think Drake is a tad too dark for the _BT_-verse; let's face it, a lot of his stuff is seriously depressing (tho' his earlier stuff -- from when he was just back from The South-East-Asian Unpleasantness -- is worse than his more-recent stuff; do *NOT* read _Redliners_ with easy access to sharp objects!).

I read that one the first time while camping with 10,000 persons most armed with multiple pointy and edged things.
I find his darkness to be rather illuminating, if you will, having a number of friends who went where Drake went, and mostly coped. A lot of it (I admit without embarrassment) is of the "but for the grace go I" sort of enlightenment. But yes, there are some of his characters I wouldn't want to meet in a darkened bar.
In rebuttle, I think a bit of Drake's darkness and grittiness would have done BT some good.
Karl

csadn
03-11-2012, 23:03
I read that one the first time while camping with 10,000 persons most armed with multiple pointy and edged things.
I find his darkness to be rather illuminating, if you will, having a number of friends who went where Drake went, and mostly coped. A lot of it (I admit without embarrassment) is of the "but for the grace go I" sort of enlightenment. But yes, there are some of his characters I wouldn't want to meet in a darkened bar.

As I understand it, Mr. Drake is a Nice Guy -- and *I* wouldn't want to cross him.... :)

In rebuttle, I think a bit of Drake's darkness and grittiness would have done BT some good.

No doubt -- _BT_'s fiction lost me when the Clans didn't treat Operation Scorpion as "the mother of all batchall violations", and descend with the full weight of all the Clans on the Inner Sphere.

However, in order to properly show the "dark side" of war (and if you don't believe there's a "light side", I direct you to the works of Bob Stevens, and Bill Mauldin :) ), we're looking at the inclusion of people and behaviors which are deemed Unacceptable For Under-18s -- for ex.: In the forthcoming RCN novel, Drake's Platt-du-jour (look it up) is a pedophile who makes snuff films. That being so, try to imagine what Drake would have done with the Word of Blake.... :P

At least he doesn't write with extensive end-notes. I'm certain that Weber will have to start doing that soon just so readers can keep track of the back-story!! :D

FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN -- *DON'T* GIVE HIM IDEAS! :)

(I'm not kidding -- the Tom Kratman/John Ringo work _Watch on the Rhine_ has footnotes for translating the German lines of dialogue; plus, most of the works of Weber, Drake, Ringo, Kratman, etc., have appendices for explaining some of the not-otherwise-explained technobabble. From there, it's a short step to End-Notes In Novels; at which point, I raise the red flag and start slitting throats. :) )

Blackrose
03-12-2012, 14:47
That being so, try to imagine what Drake would have done with the Word of Blake.... :P