PDA

View Full Version : AAR Who fired the first shot Preamble.

Bligh
08-07-2015, 04:02
At War Again .

Rear Admiral Jackson was well aware that the Lively had been beating up the channel towards Port Royal for the last two hours, and had just launched a longboat with dispatches from the Admiralty in Whitehall containing his new orders for the Squadron.

He restrained himself from rushing up on deck as he felt the boat come alongside.
After all he was an Admiral and not some fresh faced young Midshipman still wet behind the ears.
Wet behind the ears he was, as he allowed Phillips his servant to complete shaving him, but certainly no young sprog. As the last of the lather was wiped off his face, Phillips sprang forward with the admirals day coat, just as the expected knock sounded on his cabin door.

Allowing himself a moment to settle into his chair behind the huge Mahogany desk situated under the Stern windows of the cabin, he indicated to Phillips to open the door.

Lieutenant Bracegirdle of HM Sloop Lively entered the cabin, removed his hat to the Admiral, and reported.
"Lt. Bracegirdle, Master and Commander of HM Sloop Lively reporting with a Dispatch for Admiral Jackson sir."
"At ease Lt." Jackson replied placing the proffered package with its red tape and admiralty seal in the centre of his desk.

"Sit yourself down lad and take some refreshment." As if by magic the Admiral's steward Bundy appeared from nowhere, with a silver salver upon which sat two barley stemmed glasses, and bearing a bottle of Madeira in his other hand.

" So tell me John, how was the voyage, and how is your Uncle James. I hear he is serving with Collingwood now." said the Admiral as the wine was poured.

"Yes Admiral. Captain Bracegirdle is with Captain Collingwood's squadron under Commodore Nelson in the Blockade at Brest."
The small talk continued for some time, until the admiral finally said,
"I am expecting my Captains for supper this evening, will you join us young man. I expect you would like the chance to have a spruce up first though."
"Well yes thank you Admiral, I would be honoured to join you" Replied John, and taking this remark as a sign that the interview was at an end, withdrew from the cabin.
Jackson now turned to the Package on his desk, and drawing out a long silver paper knife slit the Admiralty seal with its red tape neatly from the package, and opened it to reveal his new orders.
That evening the Admirals day cabin had been transformed.
The chart table had been extended to run the whole width of the cabin, and was laid out with silver plate and tureens full of fine foodstuffs.

The wine flowed freely and Officers from all the ships in the squadron sat and listened to the news that Jackson had received from London that morning. As the stewards cleared all the plates and crockery from the supper away, the admiral was just concluding with the words. "So the Dons have thrown in their lot with Boney, and it's our job to stop them getting into any mischief here in the Caribbean. To that end I have dispatched Captain Taylor to poke his nose into Santiago, see what is brewing and cause a bit of a commotion. We must now await his report Gentlemen if he can sneak back out past the San Pedro de la Rocca battery.

So I suggest that in the meantime we circulate the Port. Gentlemen, you may now smoke."

Bligh
08-07-2015, 04:05
At War Again. The action.

Captain Rufus Taylor was a cautious Captain by nature. Now nearing 40, he had failed to impress at the Admiralty either by his daring or his connections at Court. An unprepossessing man of middling stature, and when not wearing his periwig, having a balding pate of short cropped sandy hair, he was not one to inspire faith in an observer.
Nevertheless, Admiral Jackson knew the captain better than his outward appearance indicated. He was a steady man of thoughtful habit. Not one to rush into a situation blindly. As such he was just the fellow to sneak into the harbour of and find out what shipping lay in the roadstead.
Thus it was that two days after the Conference of war on the Admiral's Flagship, quite unbeknown to the Spanish ships inside, his ship HMS Defence, could be found lurking outside Santiago harbour, waiting for the moon to set.

As soon as it was fully dark, and with all blocks and lines secured, Anchors catted and chains greased against any undue noise, defence started to nose her way gingerly into the harbour.
Aware that the slightest noise would carry across the water to the Forts on either headland Taylor steered a course to keep him as far from both as he could.

With the ships master in the bows whispering back the heading via a chain of seamen to the helmsman they moved silently into the Lion's den under a set of brown topsails only.

After ten minutes by the ships chronometer, Captain Taylor judged that they were well past the forts and ordered a change of course three points to starboard to bring them towards the side of the anchorage furthest away from the town.

What seemed like only minutes later, the Boatswain reported to the captain the sound of a ship hard on the port bow. The slapping of a halyard against a mast could be heard.

Silently Taylor signalled for the gun crews to be ready if necessary to fire as they bore.
So far so good, and with a chance of slipping past the first ship unobserved.

Just as they slipped past the ghostly bow of what looked like a Frigate, a bumboat pushed off from her side and was almost run down by Defence.

"Maldita idiota." was bawled from the boat's coxswain. Followed by a rapid discussion amongst the crew, before a pistol's discharge rent the air followed by, " Es la Angielski. Somos atacados."

With the ship discovered, the answer came swiftly from Captain Taylor.
" All guns fire as you bear"

The bows of the enemy Frigate simply disintegrated in a welter of iron shards and wood splinters. Then the ship was enveloped in a roiling bank of smoke.

A patter of ball from the marines pitted her decking, but within a minute she capsized, leaving her keel exposed to the elements.
As Defence passed on, another ship hove into view. Obviously a two decker. With gun-crews frantically reloading, and top-men hoisting battle sails.

Taylor ordered a turn hard to Port attempting to pass around the 74 before her crew were able to respond.

The Spaniards were just a little too nimble for him and by cutting their cable, were able to get underway before Taylor could complete his maneuver.
This, however proved their undoing, for with his guns now reloaded,
Taylor ordered a raking broadside into the receding stern of the Spaniard.

Sails were rent and leaks were sprung, in addition to crewmen being hit as fire was exchanged from the fighting tops of both vessels.
Another Spanish ship of the line, now loomed up, making way on the Starboard bow.
Taylor decided that discretion was now the better part and made a run for the gap between the closing enemy ships.
As they came together all hell was let loose, each ship loosing off a broadside at the other, accompanied by yet another rain of musket balls. more serious damage was incurred by the Spanish, and although the Defence escaped relatively unscathed, her crew were decimated on the exposed upper deck.

It was now essential for Captain Taylor to gain some sea room, as he still had the forts at the harbour mouth to negotiate.

Then he had a stroke of luck as the most damaged 74 came into the winds eye and was taken aback.

With dawn approaching, Taylor crowded on sail as he did not want to be caught in sillouette against the rising Sun. That would make a fine mark for the battery on the San Roch Castle.

As he made his escape in the rapidly brightening daylight it was now bright enough to exchange long range fire with his pursuers.

As they started to tack, he finally outdistanced them.

Then the San Roch battery winked at him.

Ball screamed overhead, but one shot plucked sails and men from the main top.
"When they get the range we are in for it",many of the men thought to themselves.

However, by steering a careful course between the two Forts Taylor saved his ship any further damage, save for a parting shot from the Argonauta as she tacked across the bay.

By now in full daylight and gaining way under full sails, Taylor soon put the craggy point between himself and the San Roch battery.

Bligh.

Bligh
08-07-2015, 04:06
Reserved for Butcher's bill.

Argonauta. Capitan de Navio Luis de Cordova. AI. Ship badly damaged. RP.

Sirena. Capitan de Fragata. Santiago de Liniers. AI. Ship sunk. Captains fate unknown.

Heroe. Capitan de Navio Antonio Castaneta. AI. Ship 50% damaged. RP.

San Rocca battery. Slight damage.

HMS Defence. Captain Rufus Taylor. P. Own vessel badly damaged. Sank Spanish frigate Sirena. RP.

Bligh.

Union Jack
08-07-2015, 10:11
Mastery, sheer mastery. A masterful tale from stem to stern. Very atmospheric and air charged with danger one could not help but pity the crew of Defence as they took the brunt of the damage. But well done indeed.

Bligh
08-07-2015, 10:42
Thanks Neil.
If it had not been for the loss of crew, Taylor could probably done for one of the 74s as well as the Frigate.
If you give me three Spanish Captains I will add the Butcher's bill with proper stats.
Rob.

TexaS
08-07-2015, 11:10
That was a good fight and wounderfully told.

You sure did bite off a big bite. Two 74s and a frigate against a lone 74?

I think I went to little on the other hand.

(And you know the story: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bligh again.)

TexaS
08-07-2015, 14:39
By the way, the title is for another scenario.
I think you can edit that.

Nightmoss
08-07-2015, 14:55
Great AAR. Your choice of photos always sets a great mood for the battles and aftermath. Excellent effect with night to dawn and full daylight too!! :salute:

Union Jack
08-08-2015, 01:25
And at last I can give you the REP for this fantastic AAR.

Bligh
08-08-2015, 02:48
By the way, the title is for another scenario.
I think you can edit that.

Thanks Jonas.
I got that one.
That will teach me not to cut and paste from previous missions!
Rob.

Bligh
08-08-2015, 02:59
Many thanks Neil.
That brings up my 50, so we may as well just stay in the Wardroom today.:drinks:
Rob.