PDA

View Full Version : Wave 3 Status and Update???

Nightmoss
08-06-2015, 09:28
I'm starting a new thread to discuss, share and speculate on news or updates for the next wave of Sails of Glory ships. As a subset I'd also be interested in any news/updates on the "Fleet Rules" Ares is working on, but perhaps that deserves its own thread?

News from Gen Con was pretty thin, almost non existent. I saw Roberto at the booth only once and he was too busy to interrupt with questions (the vendor room was a mob scene every day). Jim (a regular Ares volunteer and organizer of the big record breaking attempt) couldn't really comment on Wave 3 and only knew that they're working on the 'fleet rules'.

It's August and some additional information really should be forthcoming unless Ares is holding off until Spiel? If Wave 3 is still on track for an end of year release, which I seriously doubt, then I would have thought something might have been released on their website, on Facebook or at Gen Con?

So, what's up? Anyone know? :question:

Comte de Brueys
08-07-2015, 02:13
We saw WGF series 8 prototypes and the USS Constitution / HMS Victory at the Spiel 2014.

Maybe we see some prototypes this year in Essen again.

Bligh
08-07-2015, 03:13
I hope so Sven.
I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I know because I'm now starting to buy duplicates of ships I already have.
Rob.

TexaS
08-07-2015, 04:30
Oh. You've got it easy...

I've got the shakes, modifying ships just to get new models.

Nightmoss
08-07-2015, 09:07
We saw WGF series 8 prototypes and the USS Constitution / HMS Victory at the Spiel 2014.

Maybe we see some prototypes this year in Essen again.

I hope you're right Sven, but the lack of any SoG news is a tad disappointing. However, if you want yet another fantasy board game Ares is starting a Kickstarter in September for a game called Sword and Sorcery. Marcowargamer has a video up of the Wings bombers, which I somehow never saw and the figures for this new game. Also Conan coverage, but nothing new for SoG though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Ow6zQ6cjA

Nightmoss
08-13-2015, 12:26
Without being overly negative I have to feel that a lack of response from anyone "in the know" concerning the thread topic is not a good sign for Wave 3's timely arrival. It would seem Keith's prediction of 2nd quarter 2016 is now more likely than I was hoping for. :hmmm:

David Manley
08-13-2015, 13:06
Worth remembering that sometimes people "in the know" are only thus because they have been asked to keep certain confidences and have agreed to do so......

Bligh
08-13-2015, 13:17
Well said Dave.
Rob.

Union Jack
08-14-2015, 12:43
A nods as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?

Naharaht
08-15-2015, 21:18
We shall just have to be patient like sailors two hundred years ago, who took months to reach their destination.

Gunner
08-15-2015, 22:01
We shall just have to be patient like sailors two hundred years ago, who took months to reach their destination.

Not one of my strong suits.
A few months I can handle, but close to a year is a bummer, and interest wanes.:beer:

David Manley
08-16-2015, 01:03
You aren't the only one, and in this we see the inherent weakness of a set of rules that is tied to particular models and requires specific game aides (in the form of the manoeuvre cards). This style of product drives spoon feeding, or at best an almost reliance by the player community on new product, which in turn places a heavy responsibility on the manufacturer to deliver. So here we are lamenting the lack of new stuff, whilst players of more "traditional" sets just get on and (a) develop stats for whatever they need (if indeed they need to as in in many case the rules already have stats for the majority of ships that players are likely to use) and (b) enjoy several ranges of decent existing models that can be used as is or proxies to a high degree to provide just about any ship type. The only significant disbenefit they face is the modelling side which is obviously a challenge to some. But in many cases the rules they are playing have been in existence for many years and enjoy enduring popularity (Close Action, Heart of Oak, Form Line of Battle, ActionUnde Sail for example). Their flexible nature enables them to remain popular. In contrast, and as you say, interest in SGN wanes for many players without a constant release of wargaming "crack". And if interest wanes then so does the market and hence the economic justification for the manufacturer to release new product. A vicious circle.

Bligh
08-16-2015, 01:47
Very well stated Dave.
Although I have only been seriously involved this year I'm already looking for methods of enhancing my enjoyment of the game.
Many of you old hands must be feeling becalmed and in the Doldrums by now.
Rob.

David Manley
08-16-2015, 02:07
Not me, because I've been playing AoS games for decades and I have large fleets of all kinds of ships in a number of scales, plus a variety of rules to use. For me SGN is but one option. But for those who are not so fortunate I can really appreciate the issue.

csadn
08-16-2015, 20:27
You aren't the only one, and in this we see the inherent weakness of a set of rules that is tied to particular models and requires specific game aides (in the form of the manoeuvre cards).

Well, when the gaming co's finally figure out to stop trying to "lock in" the gamers....

Bligh
08-17-2015, 08:04
On the positive side, and as a sop to my languor in the slough of despond, this hiatus in production may give me money and time enough to get some coastal items bought and painted.
Rob.

TexaS
08-17-2015, 08:11
Coastal items?

What are you looking at getting?

I'm thinking of trying my hand at building a more integrated coastal battery and perhaps a signal station. The only pity is that my terrain is built to look like the Caribbean but the semaphore stations were located in France. Perhaps it can work as Spain and Mediterranean France?

Bligh
08-17-2015, 12:42
As my ships are in the Carib anyway, I was looking at Hills cliffs sandy beaches, a stone fort on a headland, a watchtower with battery and a small town. So nothing too lavish really Jonas.:happy: Oh! and a rocky Island with a fort.
Rob.

TexaS
08-17-2015, 13:33
That sounds kind of like what I have.

Perhaps I could make a How to...

Bligh
08-18-2015, 01:02
That would be great Jonas,
Rob.

TexaS
08-18-2015, 01:34
Then I'll set to it.
I have to buy a little more materials, but then...

I have an idea of what I want made too. :happy:

TexaS
08-18-2015, 01:37
And sorry for stealing the thread.
I'm eagerly awaiting any news about wave 3 and think Ares should at least release "paper" supplements too keep up interest until the new miniatures are finished.

7eat51
08-20-2015, 21:56
I fear the upcoming KS could be a sign that Ares' limited resources will be spent in another area for sometime, leaving SoG on the back-burner. I hope I am wrong. Time to check out that KS.

Bligh
08-21-2015, 02:19
To which K.S. do you allude please Eric?
Rob.

7eat51
08-21-2015, 05:24
To which K.S. do you allude please Eric?
Rob.

http://www.sword-and-sorcery.com/

Bligh
08-21-2015, 09:54
Thanks Eric.
Rob.

7eat51
08-21-2015, 21:47
I might jump in. I think Ares produces decent games. I regret missing the Galaxy Defenders (I think that's the name) KS. I have most of their other games.

Union Jack
08-23-2015, 05:34
I have enough ships in SoG to fit out 2 decent squadrons to oppose each other. And that should do for me, anything larger I have 40 Langton ships that cover everything from sloops to 120 gunners.

Bligh
08-27-2015, 04:11
All I really need now are a couple of 80s, 64s, and Merchantmen. That will do me unless I decide to produce anymore hulks.
Rob.

TexaS
08-27-2015, 04:35
"Need" is a problematic word to use this way.

I do want to have 80s, 64s, 50s, and Merchantmen in my fleets, but I also want the Swedish and Russian fleets with their version of the ship sizes.

I COULD make more 80s out of Témérairs but I'd prefer to buy them finished.

I don't know how to make a Hemmema or Turuma so those I "need"...

Nightmoss
10-12-2015, 09:35
Spiel 2015 has come and gone. Did anyone here attend and find out from Ares what 'surprise' they were working on for Sails? Any hints/updates/information on Sails or Wings as well would be fun to hear about (beyond what Roberto already posted on BoardGame Geek)?

Diamondback
10-13-2015, 15:44
I'm out of the loop with Ares for the next few weeks--laptop's been RMA'ed back to the builder and I'm running crippled on a loaner until it's back, looks like the thing blew a graphics card.

csadn
10-13-2015, 16:05
I'm out of the loop with Ares for the next few weeks--laptop's been RMA'ed back to the builder and I'm running crippled on a loaner until it's back, looks like the thing blew a graphics card.

No -- that's just ice cream.

;)

Diamondback
10-13-2015, 16:16
Not tracking ya, French... most of my data and bookmarks are on the Suitcase Monster, and what I do have still available I gotta sort through twelve terabytes of external drive to find again.

Comte de Brueys
10-14-2015, 00:16
No news about series 3 from the Spiel in Essen.

They showed only USS Constitution and HMS Victory special packs.

Bligh
10-14-2015, 04:51
No -- that's just ice cream.

;)

For goodnes sakes Chris, don't get 'em started on Penguin jokes here too.
Rob.

Capn Duff
10-14-2015, 08:38
Was not wave 3 slated for next year ?
Shame as I am looking forward to getting some Spaniards

Kentop
10-14-2015, 10:20
Imagine being a Napoleonic miniatures war gamer. It takes years to paint up enough figures and terrain to put on a battle like Austerlitz. In the meantime, as your army is being assembled, you use what you have and get creative. SOG is great for that without having to paint up new ships for every scenario. Most Napoleonic gamers have no problem using their beautifully painted Prussian dragoons to stand in for Russian troops or any other army they need to represent. It's a major part of miniature gaming. I used SOG ships to play David Manley's Lord of The Sea elizabethan rules. The cogs fit on 1.5" bases, so I just doubled the distances for 3" bases. It worked fine. I could have printed out counters and used them, but I like to see actual ships moving around.

David Manley
10-14-2015, 12:23
Maybe we could asked Ares to do mediaeval cogs and carracks? :)

Bligh
10-14-2015, 13:36
Imagine being a Napoleonic miniatures war gamer. It takes years to paint up enough figures and terrain to put on a battle like Austerlitz. In the meantime, as your army is being assembled, you use what you have and get creative. SOG is great for that without having to paint up new ships for every scenario. Most Napoleonic gamers have no problem using their beautifully painted Prussian dragoons to stand in for Russian troops or any other army they need to represent. It's a major part of miniature gaming. I used SOG ships to play David Manley's Lord of The Sea Elizabethan rules. The cogs fit on 1.5" bases, so I just doubled the distances for 3" bases. It worked fine. I could have printed out counters and used them, but I like to see actual ships moving around.

That is odd Ken.
I have never been able to use troops for other Nations, although quite happily using AWI Brits as French and Indian Wars Brits, just with the correct Light Co and Grenadiers added, plus a changed colour party.
However, although probably less obvious to spot the wrong SoG ship especially at our scale, it just never entered my head to use them for anything other than Napoleonic.
Could be a whole new ballgame here.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-14-2015, 16:09
Sorry Ken but I wouldn't and I've been an avid Napoleonic gamer since I was 12. That said if there wasn't a troop type available (not back in 72) I would remodel figures to near enough what they should be but paint them in the correct colours.

Imagine being a Napoleonic miniatures war gamer. It takes years to paint up enough figures and terrain to put on a battle like Austerlitz. In the meantime, as your army is being assembled, you use what you have and get creative. SOG is great for that without having to paint up new ships for every scenario. Most Napoleonic gamers have no problem using their beautifully painted Prussian dragoons to stand in for Russian troops or any other army they need to represent. It's a major part of miniature gaming. I used SOG ships to play David Manley's Lord of The Sea elizabethan rules. The cogs fit on 1.5" bases, so I just doubled the distances for 3" bases. It worked fine. I could have printed out counters and used them, but I like to see actual ships moving around.

Dobbs
10-14-2015, 17:14
Maybe we could asked Ares to do mediaeval cogs and carracks? :)

I think Ares is thinking along those lines since this is SoG Napoleonic perhaps there may be Elizabethan someday.

garchilajr
10-14-2015, 23:34
Perhaps the nest wave will actually move forward. I've been thinking of how awesome it would be to play with WWII ships, like the USS Missouri, USS Enterprise, Bismarck, HMS Prince of Wales, etc.

Nightmoss
10-15-2015, 09:29
No news about series 3 from the Spiel in Essen.

They showed only USS Constitution and HMS Victory special packs.

Thanks for that information. It was pretty much what I figured, but I was hoping to get that news from someone who was actually there. :hatsoff:

Was not wave 3 slated for next year ?
Shame as I am looking forward to getting some Spaniards

As far as I've seen it is going to be next year. Roberto posted some information on BoardGame Geek weeks ago, but I was hoping more would be let out of the bag at Spiel. I'm just hoping it's early 2016 and not the end of next year? :drinks:

Diamondback
10-16-2015, 00:24
Per Andrea, the game system is designed to top out at 1815 technology at newest, and 1660 at oldest.

Medieval would take a modification, like going from WGF to WGS but in reverse, I'd guess, and moving forward through successive ironclads and monitors, preDreadnoughts, Dreadnoughts and "Modern Battleships" would similarly take several successive added games on the system.

Sorry, boys, but you'll never be able to do your Fantasyland "Final Countdown" HMS Victory vs USS Missouri duel. :p

Dobbs
10-16-2015, 07:11
Not much in the way of ship duels pre-16th century. They didn't have the artillery for it or gun ports. Ships were more of an extension of land for infantry.

AdmWilloughy
10-16-2015, 14:48

I like this attitude, as it makes the game accessible to new players, but it is sadly very rare.

I had a 18th-19th force once, it was a bunch of British Irregulars from the colonies... (60th Royal American Light Infantry Brigade.) The rules for irregular soldiers where there in the system used... but when I showed up with a whole irregular company, for a company sized game, the event organizer accused me of cheese play and banned me. I sold my beautifully painted army afterwards and got into 40k as a result.

The problem he had, along with the 'regulars' was that artillery was less effective against irregular, and that they would've been forced to send cavalry at me because my rifles could out shoot their line muskets. In other words, they had to do more then line men up and roll dice. They'd have to actually try and out maneuver a force that was not going to play ball and line up for them to kill.

Really spoiled me on historicals for a long while. Now I am getting in this and Bolt Action... I'd love to bring my 60th boys back, but I still see the stigma in the community against running anything but big blocks of 'tradtional' formations.

These guys would have their minds blown if they ever did French Indian or American Revolutionary War ... or hell Peninsula Campaign in Spain.

Herkybird
10-16-2015, 16:40
I would like ships from the War of the Spanish succession - 7 years war period, which would be compatible with the game as present, however, I doubt there would be much interest so don't expect to see them any time soon!

What we need is Merchantmen, Spanish, and mid range ships for England and France!!!

Kentop
10-16-2015, 19:22
I like this attitude, as it makes the game accessible to new players, but it is sadly very rare.

I had a 18th-19th force once, it was a bunch of British Irregulars from the colonies... (60th Royal American Light Infantry Brigade.) The rules for irregular soldiers where there in the system used... but when I showed up with a whole irregular company, for a company sized game, the event organizer accused me of cheese play and banned me. I sold my beautifully painted army afterwards and got into 40k as a result.

The problem he had, along with the 'regulars' was that artillery was less effective against irregular, and that they would've been forced to send cavalry at me because my rifles could out shoot their line muskets. In other words, they had to do more then line men up and roll dice. They'd have to actually try and out maneuver a force that was not going to play ball and line up for them to kill.

Really spoiled me on historicals for a long while. Now I am getting in this and Bolt Action... I'd love to bring my 60th boys back, but I still see the stigma in the community against running anything but big blocks of 'tradtional' formations.

These guys would have their minds blown if they ever did French Indian or American Revolutionary War ... or hell Peninsula Campaign in Spain.

What rules were they using? If all they want to do is move brigades around, then they are the cheesy ones. Russian Irregulars and Cossacks destroyed Napoleon's Le Grand Armeé during their retreat from Moscow.

Kentop
10-16-2015, 19:24
I would like to see xebecs and chinese war junks. Russian and Turkish ships are high on my list too.

Gunner
10-16-2015, 20:41
I would like to see xebecs and chinese war junks. Russian and Turkish ships are high on my list too.

I like the way you think. (most of the time):beer:

Gunner
10-16-2015, 20:43
What rules were they using? If all they want to do is move brigades around, then they are the cheesy ones. Russian Irregulars and Cossacks destroyed Napoleon's Le Grand Armeé during their retreat from Moscow.

Winter helped.:beer:

Naharaht
10-16-2015, 21:01

These would certainly broaden the locations for scenarios.

Diamondback
10-16-2015, 23:20
Ya know, there's a historical precedent for those turd-sucking whiners' attitudes: if memory serves, the Royal Army had a similar attitude towards folks like the Swamp Fox. "Daw-mit, why won't these bloody Colonial bah-stahds fight FAIR and line up and die like civilized opponents?"

:p

Bligh
10-17-2015, 00:44
Well you all know my opinion on this gentlemen.
Play it as it comes.
War is not fair, nor are sides well balanced. I am well used to seeing my British line cut down by Cpt. Kiwi's Colonial Rifles and Minute men. Then Alex at Front Rank brought out his dismounted Dragoons and for a couple of exhilarating games, I had a force which could gall the flanks of the American Army, until Andy got his American Dragoons painted. then it was back to the status quo. It did not spoil my game, because just occasionally I got the upper hand.:happy:
Rob.

David Manley
10-17-2015, 12:01
the event organizer accused me of cheese play and banned me. I sold my beautifully painted army afterwards and got into 40k as a result.

My reaction to something like that would be to find some decent people to play against instead of morons.

such a shame you sold your figures. I've sold off very few o my painted stuff over the years and have regretted it later most times when I have.

David Manley
10-17-2015, 12:02
Ya know, there's a historical precedent for those turd-sucking whiners' attitudes: if memory serves, the Royal Army had a similar attitude towards folks like the Swamp Fox. "Daw-mit, why won't these bloody Colonial bah-stahds fight FAIR and line up and die like civilized opponents?"

:p

Who on earth are the Royal Army?

David Manley
10-17-2015, 12:06

So would I (eve better with an amended system that suited small ship actions)

Alas I think we'll be waiting a VERY long time for stuff like this, if indeed it ever comes (there's a chance we might see a xebec if the promised merchants/pirates wave ever sees the light of day).

Russians, Turks, Dutch and Swedes - all very welcome but agani, I think we'll be into the next decade before we see much of these.

Of course it would be nice to be proved wrong :)

The Royal Hajj
10-19-2015, 14:35
Nicely back on topic mates.

Devsdoc
10-19-2015, 15:18
I do not know for sure if this is right, but I heard that most of the Turkish war ships where designed after French ships. if this is so, we have a Turkish fleet to hand with a little work.
So one down, three to go!
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
10-19-2015, 16:42
You're right about the Turkish/French ships Rory, but never the less, it would be nice to see at least one of each rate by Ares.:beer:

Naharaht
10-19-2015, 18:47
It is a pity that we cannot buy some stickers with different flags printed on them so that we can change the nationality of ships.

Gunner
10-19-2015, 21:45
Nicely back on topic mates.

The rest of the Royal Hajj's picture:beer:

Clipper1701
10-19-2015, 23:46
It is a pity that we cannot buy some stickers with different flags printed on them so that we can change the nationality of ships.

Did someone say "stickers?" All my elves need are desired flag images and sizes . . .

Herkybird
10-20-2015, 12:10
I think the stickers for flags may be a poor solution, the flags on the ships are fairly chunky already!!
I would carefully remove the flag from the model flagpole, and replace it with a paper flag printed off to scale and folded over with a reverse image of it to make a nice 2 sided flag!
You then use a little glue to stick a narrow edge to the flagpole and voila!

A bigger problem is making a new log to play on with the right name etc! :minis:

Devsdoc
10-20-2015, 13:05
Did not Vol make flag sheets and put them in the down-load part of this site. Or where they lost in the BIG CRASH? I have not looked. If they are gone we could ask him to re-post them. As said above it will be the ships logs. Could this site do some house-rules for the Turks?
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
10-20-2015, 14:35
When I tried to download Vol's flags, I got "ERROR: File not found".:beer:

Bligh
10-21-2015, 01:41
The main problem I find with downloading flags that scale is the lack of definition when printing on an Inkjet. The smaller detail such as the white stripes on the British flag is subsumed by the pixel;s on either side.
Rob.

Herkybird
10-21-2015, 13:07
The main problem I find with downloading flags that scale is the lack of definition when printing on an Inkjet. The smaller detail such as the white stripes on the British flag is subsumed by the pixel;s on either side.
Rob.

I made flags for my ww2 ships this way, though I found I had to use really good hammered finish paper in my printer to get a good result! :fixit:

Devsdoc
10-21-2015, 14:42
Hope this helps,
All are for 1-1200 scale

Be safe
Rory

Bligh
10-21-2015, 15:45
I made flags for my ww2 ships this way, though I found I had to use really good hammered finish paper in my printer to get a good result! :fixit:

I have been using Photo paper for mine. Maybe I need a better quality.
Rob.

Bligh
10-21-2015, 15:47
Also thanks for the flags doc Rory.
Rob.

Salem Vendari
10-22-2015, 01:56
War junks would definitely be nice to see, especially the larger ones like the Baochuan.

TexaS
10-23-2015, 12:40
Rob.

That is why I bought a colour laser printer and was very careful to choose one with high resolution in both vertical and horizontal. It's common for them to list them as 2400 dpi but they are only 600 dpi vertically. Mine is 1200x1200. It's what I have used to printed all my flags and on ordinary paper. My main problem is that when I bend the flag the colour may flake and I want to add colour to the edges. Therefore I usually add a little paint manually.

Bligh
10-23-2015, 12:50
I am afraid that is a cost that I just can't justify for printing Sails of Glory Flags Jonas.
I did look at one once, but my output of Flags and decals is just not enough.
Rob.

Devsdoc
10-23-2015, 12:59
I us a bog-standard printer for my ships.
Be safe
Rory

NimitsTexan
10-25-2015, 01:51

A lot of things destroyed Napoleon's army in Russia, I do not know that one can give Cossacks all the credit (the regular Russian "brigades" played a big part, too). But for a company level war-game, excluding Light or irregular infantry in favor of does seem a bit strange. Arguably, company-sized skirmish games are the most historically appropriate venue for such units; you would rarely see a line infantry company operating by itself . . . unless, probably, it was attacking or being attacked by irregulars.

Bligh
10-25-2015, 03:48
Any actual further news on the timing of wave three, or the Fleet action rules.
My Squadrons, with recent additions, are rapidly approaching what might be called a Fleet.
If we can add a few ships from wave three I will be there.
Rob.

Herkybird
10-25-2015, 06:49
Any actual further news on the timing of wave three, or the Fleet action rules.
My Squadrons, with recent additions, are rapidly approaching what might be called a Fleet.
If we can add a few ships from wave three I will be there.
Rob.

I wonder how many ships are 'enough' ! :minis:

I have been asked by one of the lads at our club to do a mini campaign -- and no doubt I will have to supply most of the ships!
I need a merchantman! - and some coastal fortifications, and have yet to find what I want. There is a show at the end of November in Stockton (http://www.battlegroundshow.co.uk/) where I hope to get what I need.
Has anyone done a set of manoeuvre cards, or ships log for a generic merchantman?

Sheesck, I love this game! :thumbsup:

TexaS
10-25-2015, 06:51
That 2015 rumor seems far fetched now. It's just two months left and no pictures, no release dates...

Nightmoss
10-25-2015, 10:11
That 2015 rumor seems far fetched now. It's just two months left and no pictures, no release dates...

With Ares pushing out other board games and their current Kickstarter for "Sword and Sorcery" I decided the chances of seeing new ship models very unlikely this year. Outside of Roberto's comments on BoardGame Geek we've heard very little and Sven confirmed nothing was said at Spiel. So all we can do is wait and hope something is announced before the end of the year?

To be honest I was more focused on the special surprise promised, but that has also failed to materialize?

Union Jack
10-25-2015, 10:42
26 ships and I feel I have enough to wet my appetite for many more months to come. I have 5 first raters with broken mast syndrome so I feel a conversion to a large merchantman could be in order. As to decks, anyone know of speeds? Where they comparative to warships or faster? How where they armed? Etc....

TexaS
10-25-2015, 12:20
I'd recommend to start with a 40-gun frigate. It would be more of the right size and they don't have royals. I'd make them a little slower too.

David Manley
10-25-2015, 12:33
If I was looking to set soemthing up quickly I would go for a medium sized frigate, but without gunnery or musketry factors (except for indiamen), and use a 1st rate manoeuvre deck

Herkybird
10-25-2015, 15:29
If I was looking to set something up quickly I would go for a medium sized frigate, but without gunnery or musketry factors (except for indiamen), and use a 1st rate manoeuvre deck

Thanks guys, I was wondering how big merchantmen were in the Napoleonic wars, your ideas help a lot! :thumbsup:

Naharaht
10-25-2015, 17:44
Several East Indiamen were bought by the Royal Navy and converted to fourth-rate warships.

Gunner
10-25-2015, 18:19
Hope this helps,
All are for 1-1200 scale

Be safe
Rory

Works for me. Thanks Rory:beer:

Union Jack
10-26-2015, 12:18
Looks like the first raters will stay first raters then! Don't have enough frigate types to start messing around with them.

Herkybird
10-26-2015, 13:36
Looks like the first raters will stay first raters then! Don't have enough frigate types to start messing around with them.

Yes, I may have to get some little ships too! - at least they are a few quid cheaper than the 1st rates!!! :wink:

Devsdoc
10-26-2015, 14:44

Try using 3rd rate as big merchant-men! I do. They are only targets
Be safe
Rory

Capn Duff
10-27-2015, 02:46
Would a 1/1200 3rd rate be about right for a merchantman?
I got a few spare of these ?

TexaS
10-27-2015, 10:43
A third rate in 1:1200 with closed gun ports and without royals set would work well enough I'd say.
If you have with open gun ports it would be nice to file down and fill the lower gun deck's gun ports. If you care enough...

Gunner
10-27-2015, 11:37
Would a 1/1200 3rd rate be about right for a merchantman?
I got a few spare of these ?

Closer to scale is always better but, as long as all players agree, that wouldn't be a problem:drinks:

Herkybird
10-27-2015, 13:17
Just a thought, did other merchant ships than the aforementioned East Indiamen carry guns? and did they paint their hulls, or stick to dark brown? :question:

David Manley
10-27-2015, 14:48
Some merchants did, many carried a few small pieces, some could be quite heavily armed depending on the owner's pockets and the value of a typical cargo. Whether they were adequately manned...

As far as paint schemes, the answer is "yes", soem were painted in dour colours (cheap), others varnished, some painted brightly almost as a form of advertising (I recall seeing a description of (IIRC) an Italian merchant arriving in English waters as looking like a floating circus.

Most of my merchies are either dark brown, black or varnished wood. I think there is a pink one in the collection somewhere, mainly because Liz liked the colour :)

Gunner
10-27-2015, 14:56
I think there is a pink one in the collection somewhere, mainly because Liz liked the colour :)

The things one does to please the better half:beer:

David Manley
10-27-2015, 15:54
She used to have a pink 74 as well, oh and a pink P-40 (but that was based on a real aircraft that did the UK airshow circuit 30 years ago)

Gunner
10-27-2015, 17:01
Lets not forget the

Diamondback
10-27-2015, 17:11
*massive barf take*

Naharaht
10-27-2015, 22:59
Don't forget the Beatles Yellow Submarine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laRyswIO_-g

Gunner
10-27-2015, 23:17
I knew that was coming:beer:

PS Video not available in the U.S.

Herkybird
10-28-2015, 13:30
Surreal, man!

Bligh
10-28-2015, 16:16
Surreal, man!

No it's only a cartoon figure Richard.:takecover:
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
11-06-2015, 07:21
Something from the Aerodrome:

There is more than one s*** (are four letter words allowed on this forum?) in the production process now as a third series, and a fourth being designed. Plus some other little expansions for S***s of Glory. Even if no painted prototypes were ready for the show yet...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?17578-Series-6-revealed!&p=377099#post377099

Nightmoss
11-06-2015, 09:02
Something from the Aerodrome:

There is more than one s*** (are four letter words allowed on this forum?) in the production process now as a third series, and a fourth being designed. Plus some other little expansions for S***s of Glory. Even if no painted prototypes were ready for the show yet...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?17578-Series-6-revealed!&p=377099#post377099

It would be nice to hear something 'official' from Ares, but they still have six days left for their Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter campaign. Consequently I'm sure they're all tied up with that effort.

I did notice today that there's been nothing on Facebook for SoG since September 29th and nothing for Wings since October 20th. BoardGameGeek is pretty much dormant as well.

7eat51
11-06-2015, 09:51
Jim, I think some of the other product lines for Ares are promising regarding sales and profits as they appeal to a far broader audience. I don't think, therefore, that we'll hear much regarding SoG. I'm not trying to be a downer or complainer; I think it is simply a statement of fact.

Nightmoss
11-06-2015, 15:40
Jim, I think some of the other product lines for Ares are promising regarding sales and profits as they appeal to a far broader audience. I don't think, therefore, that we'll hear much regarding SoG. I'm not trying to be a downer or complainer; I think it is simply a statement of fact.

Oh, I know what you're saying Eric. Being factual doesn't make you a 'debbie downer', which is why I'm a bit dubious about the status of waves 3 and 4. Ares is going where the money is and you can't blame them for that.

Setting that aside I do wonder at times how much longer the board game boom is going to last? The sheer quantity of games and game related products being produced via Kickstarter alone is amazing!

Bos'n
11-20-2015, 16:46
Hope this helps,
All are for 1-1200 scale

Be safe
Rory

So Rory, do you have any flags for this side of the pond?

Devsdoc
11-20-2015, 17:30
So Rory, do you have any flags for this side of the pond?

I cannot down-load the flags, Why! I don't know? P.M. me at devsdoc at hotmail dot com. I will send them to you.
Be safe
Rory

Herkybird
11-20-2015, 17:32
Thanks for the flags! Excellent! :thumbsup:

Dr.Maturin
12-20-2015, 09:56

I must admit that I had a similar problem with my 25mm and 15mm Napoleonic Prussians back in the 70's. It is a well documented fact that the Prussians just loved to deploy Half Batteries but when ever I tried to use this historical formation it was always refused as "it wasn't in the RULES".

7eat51
12-20-2015, 11:54
I must admit that I had a similar problem with my 25mm and 15mm Napoleonic Prussians back in the 70's. It is a well documented fact that the Prussians just loved to deploy Half Batteries but when ever I tried to use this historical formation it was always refused as "it wasn't in the RULES".

I feared I would run into a certain mindset when using WoG and SoG with different genres of play, e.g. pirates, planes attacking King Kong, etc., let alone using ships from one country to represent ships from another country given the limited available product line, or mixing planes from different periods within a war in a given scenario. I can appreciate running an historically accurate game, but I can appreciate, also, running a truly fictitious game that has an enjoyable or interesting story.

With respect to rules, unless one is running a tournament, they should be at the GMs discretion. If a GM thinks that something would increase the enjoyment of the group, so be it. Why let a stringent adherence to the rules stand in the way? As long as all players are informed ahead of time so expectations are accurate, go for it, I say. This is why I don't play Paladins. Never let law stand in the way of good. :takecover:

TexaS
12-21-2015, 01:16
I think back on my wonderful years of colonial wargames with ficticious elements of steampunk thrown in and the very good atmosphere in the colonial wars mailing community. Oh, for the days of Major General Tremorden Rederring’s Colonial-era Wargames Page...

Wow... It's saved!
https://web.archive.org/web/20071228014907/http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/index.html

I fought my own battles both at home and on Swedish conventions like Steamship troopers, a game where Victorian soldiers fought inspired by a source not quite historical.

That ship was used by many nations over the years.

7eat51
12-21-2015, 09:42
That looks like fun.

I saw some interesting games at Origins. One guy runs 19th century British soldiers vs. giant bugs in Africa, or some such thing. The game runs throughout the weekend, with folks jumping in and out as they have open time slots. I would like to play an hour just to see what it is like.

Bligh
12-21-2015, 12:51
The good old cloth river system Jonas. Mine was made out of the leg of an old pair of sugarbag blue jeans.
Rob.

TexaS
12-22-2015, 01:35
I still use the same blue sea for my Sails of Glory battles.

It's some kind of water resistant, very synthetic fabric, slightly rubbery on the back side and was on sale. It's the same in both pictures, just the quirks of early digital photography and lighting conditions.

Bligh
12-22-2015, 06:06
Well it certainly looks very good indeed Jonas.:clap:
Rob.

Naharaht
12-22-2015, 12:22
19th century British soldiers versus giant bugs - you could call it "Steamship Troopers". :)

Nightmoss
12-22-2015, 14:12
19th century British soldiers versus giant bugs - you could call it "Steamship Troopers". :)

That's pretty good, David! :wink:

It's like a miniature game I saw set up at Gen Con two years ago. 19th century British Army infantry vs. the Orcish Horde. The game was titled, "The Battle of Ork's Drift".

Herkybird
12-22-2015, 14:29

Great minds think alike! TexaS in post #113 suggested the same name! :drinks:

AirborneEnginee
01-31-2016, 12:18
I just saw an update on Boardgame Geek

Roberto Di Meglio

We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016.

Nightmoss
01-31-2016, 12:33

Thanks for the update information. Fingers are now firmly crossed. :happy:

Herkybird
01-31-2016, 12:39
Indeed, Happy,Happy, glad, glad, glad! :pray:

Torrence
01-31-2016, 13:03
Thanks for the splendid news!
Wave 3 already in June? Sounds almost too good to be true:pray:

Cmmdre
01-31-2016, 13:20
"We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016."

I do not profess to speak Italian but I know enough to put into italics and bold the words in Italian I do understand. June is merely the launch of wave 3. Which I take to mean beginning the actual fabrication process. I could be wrong on this lads but I do not think we will see ships for quite some time. It is an encouraging sign that an official word has been sent out through our gaming communities.
I like to think of this whole process a living simulation of how it sometimes feels out at sea with nothing but water, sky, and ship beneath you. :steer:

Bligh
01-31-2016, 13:29
How philosophical of you Paul.:wink:
Rob.

Gunner
01-31-2016, 14:00

Card only expansion? Has anyone heard anything about this? :beer:

Nightmoss
01-31-2016, 15:36
Card only expansion? Has anyone heard anything about this? :beer:

Speculation is it's captain and crew cards similar to what came with HMS Victory and USS Constitution? But we're just guessing.

Gunner
01-31-2016, 18:00
I'm hoping it's ship expansion cards will show other ships of the different classes, like the Wings of War expansion cards.:beer:.

Herkybird
02-01-2016, 01:17
I would hope its little packs of ships log, base card and manoeuvre deck to use current models as different ships, but who am I kidding!!! :bleh:

Bligh
02-01-2016, 02:31
We can only wait and see, as my old Gran used to infuriatingly say.
Now I know what being becalmed in the Doldrums with no Packet boat to bring you any news must have been like.
Rob.

AirborneEnginee
02-01-2016, 05:47
I would hope its little packs of ships log, base card and manoeuvre deck to use current models as different ships, but who am I kidding!!! :bleh:

I don't think we'd need maneuver decks as a ship of the same class would have the same deck. But I would love to get ship logs and base cards for more ships. It would allow a big expansion of the game for small expense. I do hope it is more than a repeat of the kickstarter captain and crew decks. I would be fine with them producing a new deck including the old cards but also including new cards. We wouldn't need five of each card either, so it could be include more variety. Having a bunch of actual captains, like the ones with Victory and Constitution would be cool too.

TexaS
02-01-2016, 10:09
I would like cards for the ships too. "Long out to sea" "Studding sails set" or something along those lines that would differentiate more between two ships of the same class.

Naharaht
02-03-2016, 16:55
I think that more Captain and Crew cards are the most likely but the other suggestions would be really good.

AirborneEnginee
02-04-2016, 19:13
I do not profess to speak Italian but I know enough to put into italics and bold the words in Italian I do understand. June is merely the launch of wave 3. Which I take to mean beginning the actual fabrication process. I could be wrong on this lads but I do not think we will see ships for quite some time. It is an encouraging sign that an official word has been sent out through our gaming communities.
I like to think of this whole process a living simulation of how it sometimes feels out at sea with nothing but water, sky, and ship beneath you. :steer:
I am pretty certain the plan is delivering them in June, but wouldn't be the first time a product didn't make it on time. But last fall the timeline was looking at February delivery so June may be the expected delay.

Roberto "Wave 3 is in pre-production now (all prototyping complete, mold-making in progress).

If all goes well, we might be able to ship it out of factory in Feb/March 2016.

Wave 3 will include 4 important new ship types, including the first "true" Spanish ships in the line (Nepomuceno and Meregildos), Artesien class and Portland class.

To keep you entertained in the meantime, we are working together with Andrea & Andrea on a little surprise, that we'll announce in a few weeks.

We are also prototyping wave 4, which will feature one of the ships "voted" by our Anchorage fans - John Paul Jones' Bonhomme Richard, French 80-guns ships of the line, English 64 guns, and Spanish frigates of the Mahonesa class. We expect wave 4 to be released around the end of 2016.

Posted Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 am
from https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1438209/update-ares

So a Spanish 74 and a 112, a Brit 50 gunner and a French 64 in June. That would work for me. I'm working on painting up US and Brits for American Revolution Frigate actions, SO I'll try and have them ready by Xmas for Wave 4.

Bligh
02-05-2016, 01:34
Well if that schedule is even slipped as you suggest AB, it will be better than a kick up the bum.:wink:
Rob.

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 03:04
Well if that schedule is even slipped as you suggest AB, it will be better than a kick up the bum.:wink:
Rob.

...Or better than a slap in the face with a wet fish! :wink:

TexaS
02-05-2016, 04:49
A guppy or a whale shark?

surfimp
02-05-2016, 05:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxPp9UOcIc

Bligh
02-05-2016, 07:51

Don't say that Richard, The fish delivery man from Hull is due any moment.:shock:
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-05-2016, 08:41
Another viral video that was almost certainly 'staged'. :wink:

surfimp
02-05-2016, 09:25
Another viral video that was almost certainly 'staged'. :wink:

Indeed, if you pause the video you'll see the fish has been cleaned and gutted :thumbsup:

It's still someone getting slapped in the face with a fish, though!

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 10:01
I enjoyed it muchly! :clap:

Naharaht
02-05-2016, 11:16
If there are two planned releases in 2016, then we can probably count on receiving one.

TexaS
02-05-2016, 11:30
Especially as the first is relatively early in the year.

Nightmoss
02-05-2016, 11:42
Wouldn't it be nice to see at least a 3D drawing of the Spanish First Rate? I cannot wait to see the Spanish additions.

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 12:02
If there are two planned releases in 2016, then we can probably count on receiving one.

I will be happy with any, I am not fussy! :salute:

Bligh
02-05-2016, 12:10
I agree Richard.
Please just release anything to assuage my thirst, otherwise I'm just going to keep on buying more ships that I already have two of and repainting them.:minis::moneygone::fixit::minis::moneygone::fixit:
Rob.:help:

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 12:13
Yep we NEEEEED our fix of NEEEW ships! :minis::happy:

7eat51
02-05-2016, 12:27
Ships or no ships, I just received my new large WWI WoG bombers. They are rather lovely, though I thought the Staaken would be a lighter shade of blue based on the pictures.

Bligh
02-05-2016, 12:58
Looks as if we have at least another two weeks to wait for our fix here in the U.K. Eric.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 13:45
Ships or no ships, I just received my new large WWI WoG bombers. They are rather lovely, though I thought the Staaken would be a lighter shade of blue based on the pictures.

Ah well, a simple repaint should suffice? :takecover:

surfimp
02-05-2016, 14:41

That was my expectation about the Staaken, too, but honestly I find the darker blue much preferable to the blue I thought it was going to be. Looks ominous and impressive on the table, an instant centerpiece to my collection.

I will eagerly snap up any Spanish ships they see fit to produce and am hoping for a Santisima Trinidad at some point.

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 14:45
Any pictures of the said Staaken?

7eat51
02-05-2016, 14:50
That was my expectation about the Staaken, too, but honestly I find the darker blue much preferable to the blue I thought it was going to be. Looks ominous and impressive on the table, an instant centerpiece to my collection.

I was thinking the light blue would pop on the table at the store - same reason I chose the red engines on the HP.

surfimp
02-05-2016, 15:00
Any pictures of the said Staaken?

Here's mine, along with the Handley Page O/400 and some other planes for scale. Apologies for the indoor lighting - was late at night and I was just excited to get a photo of it.

http://i.imgur.com/5iWzvMa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N7e6Jcp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3IflxYJ.jpg

And this one sums up what I mean about "table presence":
http://i.imgur.com/q98QIfu.jpg

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 15:04
Woooo! thats a mean looking bird, especially next to the Gothas! Thanks for the great pictures! :thumbsup:

surfimp
02-05-2016, 15:09
Woooo! thats a mean looking bird, especially next to the Gothas! Thanks for the great pictures! :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed them. It has no fewer than 7 crew (including 2 pilots), 5 machine guns and 34 hit points - it's quite the beast! You've even got mechanic/gunners that can repair a damaged engine. The now mundane-by-comparison 27 HP Gotha was always a handful to bring down, but this.. this is "next level" as they say.

I wasn't at all surprised to learn that they never managed to shoot one down in real life, and in fact had to train pilots to get close enough before firing. Turns out they hadn't realized how big it was, and started firing from much too far away.

surfimp
02-05-2016, 15:12
I was thinking the light blue would pop on the table at the store - same reason I chose the red engines on the HP.

That was a good choice - I like my O/400 but it's a bit... drab? :takecover:

David Manley
02-05-2016, 15:22
That was a good choice - I like my O/400 but it's a bit... drab? :takecover:

Of course, its a weapon of war, not a frikkin' carnival :happy:

Herkybird
02-05-2016, 16:39
Glad you enjoyed them. It has no fewer than 7 crew (including 2 pilots), 5 machine guns and 34 hit points - it's quite the beast! You've even got mechanic/gunners that can repair a damaged engine. The now mundane-by-comparison 27 HP Gotha was always a handful to bring down, but this.. this is "next level" as they say.

I wasn't at all surprised to learn that they never managed to shoot one down in real life, and in fact had to train pilots to get close enough before firing. Turns out they hadn't realized how big it was, and started firing from much too far away.

I never realised it was the Kaiser's 'Death Star'!

AirborneEnginee
02-06-2016, 12:23
Wouldn't it be nice to see at least a 3D drawing of the Spanish First Rate? I cannot wait to see the Spanish additions.

It would, I suspect it will share a hull with the Trinidad which would be released as a special ship later.

The Trinidad is a lot heavier, but if they add a piece to the hull to close the waist into a 4th gun deck it might work.

Bligh
02-06-2016, 12:33
That is a real floating fortress if ever I saw one. Just what we need to set the seal on our Spanish Fleet when it materializes.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-06-2016, 12:41
agree, a first rate Spanish ship is needed to deploy a Spanish squadron without French help! Much needed! :minis:

AirborneEnginee
02-06-2016, 12:45
agree, a first rate Spanish ship is needed to deploy a Spanish squadron without French help! Much needed! :minis:

That is the Santa Ana, one of the 112 gun class that will be out in Wave 3. The Santisma Trinidad also started as a 112 gun ship before the expansion to merge the quarter deck and forecastle into a 4th gun deck. I suspect for the Trinidad they could use the same hull and then add the 4th deck pieces to the top. It was how they did it!

Bligh
02-06-2016, 12:59
That is the Santa Ana, one of the 112 gun class that will be out in Wave 3. The Santisma Trinidad also started as a 112 gun ship before the expansion to merge the quarter deck and forecastle into a 4th gun deck. I suspect for the Trinidad they could use the same hull and then add the 4th deck pieces to the top. It was how they did it!

Maybe we could do that ourselves when we get the Santa Ana and forestall them.:wink:
Rob.

Herkybird
02-06-2016, 13:44
I am glad for the Santa Ana, its not as well known as the Santissima Trinidad, so we might get 2 versions out of her!

Bligh
02-06-2016, 13:48
With a conversion to Santissima as well that could be three biggies then.:pray:
Rob.

Herkybird
02-06-2016, 13:53
And then, when they bring out the real Santissima model, will I be the only one buying it?:question:

David Manley
02-06-2016, 14:06
And then, when they bring out the real Santissima model, will I be the only one buying it?:question:

Unlikely.......

Herkybird
02-06-2016, 14:10
I suspect so too, I doubt many of us are keen and capable enough for such conversion work. I myself see little point in my risking messing up a perfectly good warship to make a model we are assured is being released in a years time! I don't get enough games to warrant it! :drinks:

David Manley
02-06-2016, 14:25
I have a lovely one in 1/1200 already, I can wait for a 1/1000 example :)

Bligh
02-06-2016, 15:18
I will buy it anyway because the real thing is always a draw.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-06-2016, 16:34
Unlikely.......

I can't resist asking. . . .unlikely that Ares will be releasing the ST, or unlikely that you would purchase it? :minis: :moneygone: :question:

Nightmoss
02-06-2016, 16:50
I am glad for the Santa Ana, its not as well known as the Santissima Trinidad, so we might get 2 versions out of her!

While I knew something of the Santisima Trinidad prior to joining up here I learned much more through the comments and links shared by our members. Santa Ana has become a favorite of mine not only because of how she fought at Trafalgar against HMS Royal Sovereign, but because she was captured and then recaptured by the Spanish and taken back to Cadiz.

Some wonderful paintings of Spanish First Rates and other Age of Sail ships here:

http://carlosparrillapenagos.es/pintura-naval/

AirborneEnginee
02-06-2016, 21:06
I don't have inside info that Santa Ana is one of the named ships, but she is the first and most famous of the los Meregildos 112 gunners mentioned as Wave 3. She was Alava's flagship at Trafalgar.

There are 8 ships in the Santa Ana class, including Mejicano, Conde de Regla, Salvador del Mundo, Real Carlos, San Hermenegildo, Reina María Luisa and Príncipe de Asturias so they could make 4 double sided packs out of that mold. And Santa Ana is not one of the two that sank each other.

David Manley
02-06-2016, 22:43
I can't resist asking. . . .unlikely that Ares will be releasing the ST, or unlikely that you would purchase it? :minis: :moneygone: :question:

Unlikely that Herkybird will be the only person buying it

Bligh
02-07-2016, 00:08
Well that could lead a little excitement to the whole Spanish question AB.
Rob.

TexaS
02-07-2016, 03:14
I suspect so too, I doubt many of us are keen and capable enough for such conversion work. I myself see little point in my risking messing up a perfectly good warship to make a model we are assured is being released in a years time! I don't get enough games to warrant it! :drinks:
You know something I don't! What assurances do we have?

I have so far thought Santissima Trinidad to be nothing more than wishes and hopes.

Nightmoss
02-07-2016, 09:24
Unlikely that Herkybird will be the only person buying it

:thumbsup: :happy:

Gunner
02-07-2016, 11:30
I won't hold my breath for the S.T. I was told way, way back by Ares that Russians will be coming hopefully by 2016. I don't have the lung capacity to hold my breath much longer.:sleep::beer:

David Manley
02-07-2016, 12:06
I won't hold my breath for the S.T. I was told way, way back by Ares that Russians will be coming hopefully by 2016. I don't have the lung capacity to hold my breath much longer.:sleep::beer:

Really? I've never heard Ares mention Russians.......

Gunner
02-07-2016, 12:43
Really? I've never heard Ares mention Russians.......

This was their reply to an email I sent.

Bligh
02-07-2016, 12:53
Well that's news to me as well.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-07-2016, 12:54
I am surprised, I honestly do not think a lot of people would be rushin' to buy them! :hmmm:

Bligh
02-07-2016, 13:07
I am surprised, I honestly do not think a lot of people would be rushin' to buy them! :hmmm:

That may well depend on what colour of Green they are painted Rich.:wink:
Nice pun there!:happy:
Rob.

TexaS
02-07-2016, 13:58
I was told way, way back by Ares that Russians will be coming hopefully by 2016.
Oh! That would be great! That would probably mean they would do Turks and then Swedes. I would love to fight the Baltic battles. Even though I'm younger than many of you I'm not sure I would live long enough to see the day though.

Herkybird
02-07-2016, 14:59
I would like something different too, really, it would make doing a campaign easier!...or at least more interesting! :minis:

Dobbs
02-07-2016, 15:19

I can't imagine Ares "slav-ing" away on the Russians before the Spanish have a fleet comparable to the English and French!

Gunner
02-07-2016, 15:54
Oh! That would be great! That would probably mean they would do Turks and then Swedes. I would love to fight the Baltic battles. Even though I'm younger than many of you I'm not sure I would live long enough to see the day though.

If Ares does follow up, the Russians will open the door for the Swedes and Turks. The Turks should open the door for Med pirates/privateers, which would give the Americans someone else to fight.:beer:

Gunner
02-07-2016, 15:57
That may well depend on what colour of Green they are painted Rich.:wink:
Nice pun there!:happy:
Rob.

If they do, I won't argue with black and white.:drinks:

csadn
02-07-2016, 16:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxPp9UOcIc

I imagine after that encounter she had a...

[sunglasses]

...SPLITTING HADDOCK.

B)

Diamondback
02-07-2016, 17:14
I don't have inside info that Santa Ana is one of the named ships, but she is the first and most famous of the los Meregildos 112 gunners mentioned as Wave 3. She was Alava's flagship at Trafalgar.

There are 8 ships in the Santa Ana class, including Mejicano, Conde de Regla, Salvador del Mundo, Real Carlos, San Hermenegildo, Reina María Luisa and Príncipe de Asturias so they could make 4 double sided packs out of that mold. And Santa Ana is not one of the two that sank each other.

More like an even dozen, actually...

As for the Russians, frigates might be some doing but SOL's they can get off easy by just reprinting SGN108 as the Ches'mas and SGN104 as the Triokh Sviatiteleis (near-copy of 1798 Ajax, basically a Bellona on steroids and with bigger UD guns).

*tosses fart-jar at French*

surfimp
02-07-2016, 17:58
I can't imagine Ares "slav-ing" away on the Russians before the Spanish have a fleet comparable to the English and French!

I too hope we get a Santisima Trinidad first; as they say, only fools Russian!

Clipper1701
02-07-2016, 20:03
Sadly our local game shops have all stopped carrying WOG and SOG, so no local sales point nor place to play the games, : ( Good thing many of us are into solo games and collecting . . .

Cmmdre
02-07-2016, 22:39
Sadly our local game shops have all stopped carrying WOG and SOG, so no local sales point nor place to play the games, : ( Good thing many of us are into solo games and collecting . . .

You'll have to get those Elves back into action David. Sorry to hear about the drop in interest in your area which is similar to my local area and many others from what I hear. :surrender:

Gunner
02-07-2016, 23:49
You'll have to get those Elves back into action David. Sorry to hear about the drop in interest in your area which is similar to my local area and many others from what I hear. :surrender:

With the lack of any updates or information (let alone new ships) from Ares for long periods of time, it's no wonder.
vague information from time to time doesn't help to keep interest up:beer:

Nightmoss
02-08-2016, 09:24
With the lack of any updates or information (let alone new ships) from Ares for long periods of time, it's no wonder.
vague information from time to time doesn't help to keep interest up:beer:

Agreed. Fans of a game alone are not sufficient to provide accurate information or consistently promote a product to the general gaming public. Those jobs ultimatley are the responsibility of the publisher.

Herkybird
02-08-2016, 11:50
I appear to have begun the Pun-nic wars again, with not a Carthaginian in sight! :happy:

surfimp
02-08-2016, 12:19

FWIW, I live in a smallish town on the California coast (where wargaming is most decidedly a very niche thing) and we've never had SoG carried in one of the two local comic book / sorta game stores. Despite that I was still able to find, through the magic of the internet, like-minded people in town to play WoG / SoG and plenty of other games with. I suspect that if you were to checkout Meetup.com or a similar type of service, you might find there's more interest than you realize?

Bligh
02-08-2016, 12:29
Good point Steve.
There are a lot of sleepers out there.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-08-2016, 13:07
Good point Steve.
There are a lot of sleepers out there.
Rob.

Yaaawn!--What? :sleep:

Naharaht
02-08-2016, 17:48
While I knew something of the Santisima Trinidad prior to joining up here I learned much more through the comments and links shared by our members. Santa Ana has become a favorite of mine not only because of how she fought at Trafalgar against HMS Royal Sovereign, but because she was captured and then recaptured by the Spanish and taken back to Cadiz.

Some wonderful paintings of Spanish First Rates and other Age of Sail ships here:

http://carlosparrillapenagos.es/pintura-naval/

The site to which your link goes looks like a valuable resource, Jim.

Bligh
02-09-2016, 01:59
Yaaawn!--What? :sleep:

Gamers who are not awake as to what is available outside their closed circle.
Rob.

Herkybird
02-09-2016, 12:45
Gamers who are not awake as to what is available outside their closed circle.
Rob.

I think most of us have our niche interests, I am very guilty of not looking outside my little box!:sleep:

BSG_Fan
04-14-2016, 06:22
Photos of sample wave 3 production are on Facebook:

https://facebook.com/SailsOfGlory/

Bligh
04-14-2016, 08:55
Thanks Andrew.
If only they could produce pictures that were in focus.
We could show them a thing or two on the Anchorage.
Rob.

fredmiracle
04-14-2016, 12:38
Thanks Andrew.
If only they could produce pictures that were in focus.
We could show them a thing or two on the Anchorage.
Rob.

Still pretty though! :thumbsup:

Bligh
04-14-2016, 13:32
Still pretty though! :thumbsup:

True Fred.
A poor picture is better than no picture. At least it shows things are moving in the right direction.:happy:
Rob.

TexaS
04-14-2016, 13:57
How true. There are some master photographers here.

Gunner
04-14-2016, 15:14
I understand that the pictures were taken 'on the fly' to give us an idea of what it looks like, with better pictures to come (soon I hope).:beer:

TexaS
04-14-2016, 21:34
You could still see that typical Spanish stern gallery and color.

The fact that they have prototypes probably means that they are not that far off but Ares have held off on giving release dates after the catastrophic delay last time.

Gunner
04-14-2016, 22:37
You could still see that typical Spanish stern gallery and color.

The fact that they have prototypes probably means that they are not that far off but Ares have held off on giving release dates after the catastrophic delay last time.

If their release dates had built in 'cush' they would look like heroes if the product was released earlier. :beer:

Hjl
04-14-2016, 22:44
I mist say I'm pretty excited about all this. I might have to save up a little

Bligh
04-15-2016, 00:45
I might have to save up a lot Hugh.
The trip to Praag has made a bit of a hole in the Prize money.
Bligh.

Diamondback
04-15-2016, 11:15
If their release dates had built in 'cush' they would look like heroes if the product was released earlier. :beer:
Ed, they're getting better on that--on WGF Giants they first wanted to say AUGUST '15, remember?