PDA

View Full Version : French 1st Rates

Dobbs
07-25-2015, 16:21
I was just going through my "I" maneuver deck and noticed that there is only 1 - 2 and 1 - 8 card. The cataloging numbers at the bottom are unbroken, so no no cards are missing. Anyone else's decks like this? What gives?

Nightmoss
07-25-2015, 18:09
The "I" deck should only be for HMS Victory special edition and yes that only has one 2 card and one 8 card. My regular French 1st Rates all have F decks with two "3's" being the lowest numbered maneuver card in those decks.

Dobbs
07-26-2015, 06:06
Oops, my mistake! I thought I had my cards arranged by maneuverability, not alphabetically, and french first rates not being the most agile, I grabbed the last deck in my card box. I completely overlooked that the letter did not match the ship's base card.

So does the single card for those maneuvers imply that Victory can not do two of those maneuvers in a row?

Bligh
07-26-2015, 09:07
Oops, my mistake! I thought I had my cards arranged by maneuverability, not alphabetically, and french first rates not being the most agile, I grabbed the last deck in my card box. I completely overlooked that the letter did not match the ship's base card.

So does the single card for those maneuvers imply that Victory can not do two of those maneuvers in a row?

I think that would be a fair assumption Dobbs.
Although I have not had my HMS Victory cards out yet, so was also unaware of this.
Thanks for drawing my attention to the fact. It may well save me embarrassment in my first game frantically going through the pack trying to find cards which don't exist, whilst everyone else waits impatiently wanting to get on with the game.:embarass:
Rob.

Herkybird
07-26-2015, 14:52
I noticed the single sharp turn card, as i was wondering if the special ships would need special charts for the PM solo rules.
I decided it wasn't necessary to do a separate chart as the sharp turn is only really useful to me when Victory is stern on to its opponent and needs to turn sharp to possibly stern rake the Frenchie! - since I modified PM a few months ago, the player uses that card automatically in this circumstance, without dicing for manoeuvre! :wink:

TWR
04-29-2016, 05:55
I hadn't seen this thread until this evening following the first outing of HMS Victory. The lack of two cards in the I deck was a surprise to me as well. I was trying to manoeuvre the victory to engage the French at the time. Hmmm, that's interesting I thought...

Union Jack
04-29-2016, 11:21
It makes Victory fast, supposedly historical, but not to fast that would make it turn like a frigate.

Diamondback
04-29-2016, 14:33
It does help to consider that in design terms, Victory was basically a Slade Common 74 on anabolic steroids--Morineau's original design for 1744 L'Invincible was that good to start with, and Sir Thomas Slade spent a big chunk of his career iterating on that basic design until it was refined as far as it could go.

fredmiracle
04-29-2016, 19:26
It does help to consider that in design terms, Victory was basically a Slade Common 74 on anabolic steroids

Yes but aren't steroids supposed to make you muscle-bound and slow, as well as big and strong? :wink:

Diamondback
04-29-2016, 21:41
LOL My point was, Victory's officers reported her as handling more like a Third Rate than a First.

Bligh
04-30-2016, 02:46
Well that makes me feel no better when reviewing my encounter with Neil at Praag Con.:sad:
Rob.

Herkybird
04-30-2016, 02:48
Neil is a skilled captain, it is no dishonour to fall before superior opposition! :takecover:

TexaS
04-30-2016, 07:16
Rob, he had a superior number of guns. There's no dishonour in loosing to that... as long as you weren't outmaneuverd... Oups...

Well, you will still be held in highest regard by me. I love your AARs!

Bligh
04-30-2016, 08:14
No problem chaps. It was all tongue in cheek stuff.
Neil and I are not going to have any regrets about battles won or lost.
Life's too short to make a big deal out of a game, unless you happen to be Commodore on the Victory, and have just been hit in the eye by a week old Stottie fired from a French First Rate.:wink:
Rob.

Bligh
04-30-2016, 08:23
as long as you weren't outmaneuverd... Oups...

Well actually I was outmanouvered on the very first pass Jonas, :steer:as I turned to give him a raking broadside at close range, with first time of fire, he shortened sail, and I missed the rake by 2mm. I never regained the initiative after that. By such small increments are games won and lost. That's the beauty of the game.:happy:
Rob.

Nightmoss
04-30-2016, 09:53
No problem chaps. It was all tongue in cheek stuff.
Neil and I are not going to have any regrets about battles won or lost.
Life's too short to make a big deal out of a game, unless you happen to be Commodore on the Victory, and have just been hit in the eye by a week old Stottie fired from a French First Rate.:wink:
Rob.

I'm quite enjoying the banter knowing full well that it's all in fun. The two of you, along with several others here, are the primary reason this site has some life and why I check back each day to see what's new and exciting! :salute: