PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Range

Dobbs
07-20-2015, 17:00
Has anybody given any thought to firing at ranges longer than the ruler, say halving the A chit damage draw for ranges greater than one ruler, but less than two? By my figuring, an SOG ruler represents basically 900 feet, or 300 yards rounded up, if one inch represents 83.3333 feet and the ruler is 10 inches long.

Just feeling the affect of reading P. O'Brian and pondering long range pot-shots as ships separate...

Nightmoss
07-20-2015, 19:02
I'm almost positive it's been discussed elsewhere on the forums, but I can't tell you who or where the discussion has occurred. My problem with employing longer ranges would revolve around space I have available for play and the limitations of the mat(s) on movement and maneuvering?

I did find a couple of threads on long range, but neither one probably addresses your question?

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3157-Range-of-Fire&highlight=long+range

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1591-Bow-Chasers&highlight=long+range

Naharaht
07-22-2015, 16:07
Cannon in coastal forts could fire up to three miles; hence 'The Three Mile Limit'. Allowing them to fire at such long range would be overpowering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-mile_limit

7eat51
07-23-2015, 10:13
I doubt I would utilize long distance shots unless playing a chase or some such scenario that incorporates other house rules, i.e. a game we know is different from the norm in several respects. I fear that long-shots could change the tenor of the games, possibly discouraging folks from closing, etc. I remember playing Tobruk in which we would take any shot possible, regardless if we had to role 12 on 2d6s.

I agree with David, for coastal batteries, the effect would be devastating. Those batteries are a pain to neutralize from the sea. I hope to run a game incorporating shore parties some day.

Naharaht
07-23-2015, 11:28
If the historical novels are to be believed, landing a shore party at night was the best way to knock out a coastal battery or a semaphore tower. Do let us know how your game goes whenever you try it, Eric.

7eat51
07-23-2015, 11:33
We'll need a simple rule set, first, David. I do want to try different types of scenarios, and our group are willing testers for such things. My hope is that at Origins, I will be able to offer a wide variety of scenarios, some of which folks might not think of doing themselves. I think this could increase interest.

Another game I would like to run is a racing game for the 16-and-younger crowd; I think it would be a blast seeing a group of school-aged kids racing, dealing with sea monsters, shooting each other, etc. I believe it would be a fun way to learn many of the game's mechanics.

Herkybird
07-23-2015, 14:01
Another game I would like to run is a racing game for the 16-and-younger crowd; I think it would be a blast seeing a group of school-aged kids racing, dealing with sea monsters, shooting each other, etc. I believe it would be a fun way to learn many of the game's mechanics.

That is a great idea! - I only hope you dont get too many ships de-masted in the rush! :thumbsup:

7eat51
07-23-2015, 20:12
That is a great idea! - I only hope you dont get too many ships de-masted in the rush! :thumbsup:

Others have done something similar. We had a thread or two in which we discussed some ideas, and one shipmate sent me some items from Pirates of the Spanish Main to use. I would like to get a couple of 3-D monsters, islands, reefs, etc. George (CelticCat) meets with a group of junior high boys from his church. I played X-Wing with them once. They would probably make for a good test group. Time to look up those older threads.

Bligh
07-24-2015, 05:09
I have often thought about doing a cutting out expedition in 25mm, but whilst Marines are fairly easy to obtain, sailors in suitable kit for landing parties are harder to find, and most 25mm longboats are expensive, if you only intend to use them occasionally. I would probably therefore just do a dice outcome for the action, which spoils the effect somewhat.

Rob.

Bos'n
07-24-2015, 06:46
I doubt I would utilize long distance shots unless playing a chase or some such scenario that incorporates other house rules, i.e. a game we know is different from the norm in several respects. I fear that long-shots could change the tenor of the games, possibly discouraging folks from closing, etc. I remember playing Tobruk in which we would take any shot possible, regardless if we had to role 12 on 2d6s.

I agree with David, for coastal batteries, the effect would be devastating. Those batteries are a pain to neutralize from the sea. I hope to run a game incorporating shore parties some day.

Eric,

It's been a couple of days, I hope everything is going well for you.

In the Ares book about the 2014 scenario contest, I believe that the first scenario uses land action as part of the game. It was interesting reading.

See ya on the seas,

Bob

DeRuyter
07-24-2015, 07:17
I have often thought about doing a cutting out expedition in 25mm, but whilst Marines are fairly easy to obtain, sailors in suitable kit for landing parties are harder to find, and most 25mm longboats are expensive, if you only intend to use them occasionally. I would probably therefore just do a dice outcome for the action, which spoils the effect somewhat.

Rob.

I thought Capitan Games had 28mm naval but it looks like they are doing it in 10mm. Maybe their Squadron Commander rules would work too.

http://shop.capitangames.com/

I have a bunch of the Sea Eagles 15mm ships for the 1812 lake battles. They have 15mm marines and naval crews. Also very nice 15mm long boats.

http://www.thoroughbredmodels.com/SeaEagles.htm

Bos'n
07-24-2015, 07:43
[QUOTE=Bligh;51268]I have often thought about doing a cutting out expedition in 25mm, but whilst Marines are fairly easy to obtain, sailors in suitable kit for landing parties are harder to find, and most 25mm longboats are expensive, if you only intend to use them occasionally. I would probably therefore just do a dice outcome for the action, which spoils the effect somewhat.

Rob,

The scenario from the 2014 contest online gives some rules for land actions and they use existing materials. Very interesting.

Those guys don't look that tough. I think we can take 'um.

See ya on the sea,

Bob

Naharaht
07-24-2015, 21:44
Newline Designs produce Napoleonic naval figures in 10mm, 20mm and 28mm sizes. I have not bought anything from them. I just found them whilst searching on the internet.
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=410_415_428

7eat51
07-24-2015, 22:18
It's been a couple of days, I hope everything is going well for you.

All is well - thank you. I was on jury duty right when some writing deadlines occurred. That made for very long days with not much time for most other things.

I have a bunch of the Sea Eagles 15mm ships for the 1812 lake battles. They have 15mm marines and naval crews. Also very nice 15mm long boats.

http://www.thoroughbredmodels.com/SeaEagles.htm

The Thoroughbred miniature line has some neat sculpts regarding crews, marines, and boats. I especially like the marines and the boat with the crew rowing. I am tempted to buy Sue a present since she enjoys painting. Of course, I would not want to see them go to waste so I would use them for shore-party scenarios, simply out of the kindness of my heart.

Newline Designs

Some interesting sculpts, e.g. Chinese warriors, Biblical warriors. It still amazes me all the various genres and time periods of games.