PDA

View Full Version : The story of the L'Orient

Comte de Brueys
11-30-2011, 00:29
L’Orient – First Rate ship of the line

The destruction of the mighty French flagship L’Orient at the battle of the Nile quickly became the defining image of war at sea in the age of Nelson. Many artists painted the scene, perhaps the most dramatic moment in an age of high drama. The 120 gun three decker, the largest ship afloat at the time, had been built as the Dauphin Royale, renamed Sans Culotte by the Jacobins, and once again to reflect Bonaparte’s ambition to follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great. Under Admiral Francios Brueys she led the French invasions of Malta and Egypt, only to be caught at anchor, at the heart of a powerful French fleet, in Aboukir Bay by Nelson and his ‘band of brothers’ late on the afternoon of 1 August 1798. During the battle L’Orient’s guns shattered and dismasted the Bellerophon, but then her luck ran out. Arriving after dark Alexander Ball and Ben Hallowell manoeuvred their ships onto the French flagships’ bow and quarter, where few guns would bear. When the oil-based paint caught fire L’Orient was doomed. The detonation turned night into day, and deafened everyone: the fighting stopped for several minutes. After the battle Hallowell used part of L’Orient’s main mast to make a coffin, which he presented it to Nelson, as a reminder of his mortality. Nelson would be buried in it eight years later. Through his anxiety to annihilate the enemy Nelson transformed the art of war at sea, while the explosion of L’Orient provided the sublime, apocalyptic embodiment of his genius.

Data:

209.5 x 53.3 x 26.6ft (65.2 x 16.3 x 8.1m)
5095 tons [BM]
Hull wood
Armament 120 guns
Crew Complement 1079
Built Toulon, France, 1791

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8751&d=1390892488

Picture shows the exploding & burning Orient. :shock:

Comte de Brueys
11-30-2011, 00:38
Seems to me, the fame of this ship is linked to Nelsons success for ever.

Admiral François-Paul Brueys d’Aigalliers, Comte de Brueys and commander in chief, died on board of the Orient (bullet shots), while Vice Admiral Villeneuve fled from the battelfield.:mad:

Brueys was the Napoleons best commander, at this time. Think he might have changed the Battle of Trafalgar 1805 to a not so ruinous end.

SeaHunter
11-30-2011, 03:22
Great hidtorical read, thanks Sven. I would like to learn more of the Napoleonic era.

Berthier
11-30-2011, 05:04
The explosion of L'Orient is variously reported as being heard from 9-20km away. Whatever the case it was truly stupendous as she carried much of the powder for the campaign to come in Egypt as well as the fleets treasury some of which was later salvaged. Salvage work commenced again on the wreck about 1990.

Originally launched as Le Dauphin Royal, later changed to Le Sans-culotte then finally L'Orient.

Comte de Brueys
12-06-2011, 01:40
The Orient started the Egypt campaing - missing 280 sailors from original 1130 crew members.

All french ships participating in this campaign had 15 % less crew members.

The Cowman
12-06-2011, 18:08
These little segmets are doing an awesome job of drawing me into the period... you guys should be proud of what your are building! I know I am proud to be part of it... :)

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 16:57
These little segmets are doing an awesome job of drawing me into the period... you guys should be proud of what your are building! I know I am proud to be part of it... :)

I agree with ken that the narrative was superb. :hatsoff: Thank you Sven for that informative historical clip of time. I really enjoy getting to read through nuggets of information like finding some pieces of eight on a nice beach as the waves uncover them slowly These forums are a fine meeting place. :rum:

Blas de Lezo
04-22-2013, 07:43
I love this kind of posts
I showed this to a friend of mine (who studied French literature) and told me that, even today, the sank of this ship was seen as a national tragedy

Comte de Brueys
05-03-2013, 16:59
Comrades.

I hope we'll get this ship as a French 1st rate model. :salute:

Nightmoss
05-03-2013, 19:42
Comrades.

+1 That would be truly awesome.

Comte de Brueys
01-28-2014, 00:17
Comrades.

Here we go!!!! :clap:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8742&d=1390891495

Nightbomber
01-28-2014, 01:20
Funny, I was reading a very interesting article about the fate of this ship and today in the morning found this thread! Thanks for the data and the painting, Sven:)

Nightmoss
01-28-2014, 09:48
Was very happy to see this ship in the Wave 2 line up. So far it's my only Langton 1/1200 French ship. :happy: Can't wait for the Ares version!

csadn
01-28-2014, 14:54
I suspect sales of that mini will...

[sunglasses]

...Blow Up.

B)

Nightmoss
01-28-2014, 15:34

[sunglasses]

...Blow Up.

B)

Well, yeah! I'll need at least two, maybe three? One for SoG fun and one to kick Nelson's forces at Trafalgar (assuming of course it survives the Nile without getting wrecked). :wink:

Diamondback
01-28-2014, 16:07

[sunglasses]

...Blow Up.

B)

Channeling Horatio Caine again, Chris? LOL

csadn
01-29-2014, 17:25
Channeling Horatio Caine again, Chris? LOL

Nah -- I've always been Jester Class: http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php?date=20071014 .

Besides, why would I want to be someone who has been immortalized in a _South Park_ episode: "IKE! DO YOUR IMPRESSION OF DAVID CARUSO'S CAREER!" >;)