PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster 2015

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 07:27
UK Fleet/Wing are holding their annual gathering on 18,19,20 September, at Doncaster Air Museum. Sails of Glory is being included this year for the first time.

If you fancy attending to play or would like to put on a game please PM me for full details.

Neil

Union Jack
07-17-2015, 06:10
The closing date for those wishing to put on a game and posting me the details is August 15th.

This gives me time to confirm and publish the programme.

Neil

Union Jack
08-10-2015, 09:04
Apologies but this is now closed as all games slots have been taken.

Bligh
08-10-2015, 13:47
Great news Neil.
Rob.:clap:

Union Jack
09-17-2015, 10:57
All preparation done. Boxes packed and ready to go.

Doncaster 2015 here we come.

2 SoG games to look forward to and hopefully plenty of pics from the weekend.

Neil

David Manley
09-17-2015, 12:40
Just sorting out my last bits and pieces :thumbsup:

Bligh
09-18-2015, 01:48
All done.
Just got Nightbomber to collect from EM.
See you there with money in hand Dave.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
09-18-2015, 06:28
Have fun, comrades. :salute:

Naharaht
09-18-2015, 09:07
Safe journeys to Doncaster, if you are attending. I will see you there on Saturday, all being well.

Bligh
09-21-2015, 03:49
:salute: Thanks Sven.
We had a superb time, even if my sole claim to fame was scoring more damage points to my own ship caused by collisions than by enemy action.:happy: I actually only took one broadside which caused me to strike.:sad:
Rob.

David Manley
09-21-2015, 05:54
The "Fleet Action" game was interesting for all the wrong reasons, but I did have the bizarre honour of winning both the "wooden spoon" award (for losing the first ship) and the first prize (for forcing three of the four enemy ships to strike and scoring the most victory points) :happy:

The "Frigate Race" was an interesting exercise in ship handling as much as combat, with players having to start from a "home" island, sail around a central island and one other island on the table and then return "home" (the four "home" islands were in each corner of the table). A fun event and the début for my latest RN frigate model :happy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E1BUV3aZpYQ/Vf8rQyt7SiI/AAAAAAAABoI/i2ZR2i6rbyU/s1600/2015-09-20%2B09.33.29.jpg

(for those worried about the "power gamer" aspect of fielding an ex-US 44 when the rest of the ships involved were more regular Ares frigates, I had a strict "only shoot at someone who shoots at me" policy!)

Comte de Brueys
09-21-2015, 06:10

(for those worried about the "power gamer" aspect of fielding an ex-US 44 when the rest of the ships involved were more regular Ares frigates, I had a strict "only shoot at someone who shoots at me" policy!)

Ah...

Shooting was allowed during the race.

A burden 5 frigate is nothing I would shoot at with a Concorde class, except with a first surprise B-range raking shot throug the stern.

David Manley
09-21-2015, 06:25
I only had to fire twice, once because someone wanted a learning experience, the second when someone was evilly persuaded to fire a me by someone else who was safely away from the action :)

Bligh
09-23-2015, 05:09
Well Dave here is the Sails game from "Through the telescope."
Bligh at the rear left of the British Squadron.

The Fleets approach.

Closing for action.

Cutting the line.

The boarding party.

Form a queue.

Four go on board each other.
Well that worked well then.

Fortunately I missed the bit where the Flagship managed to disentangle, came about and struck me for my second collision of the day, just before the only fire I took from the enemy in the whole battle caused me to strike, having only delivered two broadsides myself.

Nevertheless we did have a worthy winner!
The less said about Commodore Bristols Leadership of HM fleet the better.To be fair, it was his first command of any type, if not his last.

Well done Dave.

Two prizes in one go.:clap:
Bligh.

Naharaht
09-23-2015, 05:44
Thank you for the good photographs, Rob.:thumbsup:

Union Jack
09-23-2015, 07:26
Great action throughout. If only we had been closer David, we could have fought to the finish. Though I doubt the outcome would have been different. A worthy winner of both awards. Well done David.

Comte de Brueys
09-23-2015, 10:55
Thank you for the pictures and the short report, Rob.

That's a project worth to keep in mind: To play Sails of Glory versus real Englisch captains. :swordright:

Well done Mr. Manley. :salute:

David Manley
09-23-2015, 12:16
Why thank you Herr Comte :happy:

Bligh
09-24-2015, 10:02
That's a project worth to keep in mind: To play Sails of Glory versus real Englisch captains. :swordright:

Not if we keep running aboard our own ships like that. :help:Would not be much of a game for you, just standing off and watching us destroy ourselves.:cry:
You may get a laugh out of it :wink:, but you would soon get bored.:sleep:
Rob.:happy:

Comte de Brueys
09-24-2015, 13:27
Just get a little practice and get some Rum instead of G&T. :wink:

Bligh
09-24-2015, 13:49
I think it was more sea room we needed Sven.
Two cards between ships would have given us room to react to events.
Sail two chevrons >> apart for British ships Captains.:happy:
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
09-25-2015, 01:47
When I regard the pictures I saw, that one French blocked 3 British ships.

With the standart collision rules this woud have been a massacre. (1x B damage per burden value from the friendly ship you collide with)

The distance between the ships at the setup seems indeed a little bit too close to me. You should add a musket shot distance between each ship.

Did you have the chance to talk about tactics during the game?

Bligh
09-25-2015, 03:19
With the standart collision rules this woud have been a massacre. (1x B damage per burden value from the friendly ship you collide with)
It was a massacre Sven. I was in collision twice and then it it only took one broadside to make me strike.

Did you have the chance to talk about tactics during the game?

We discussed tactics before the start. It would have been O.K. if the lead ship in cutting the line had not run into the French ship. That caused us to concertina as we had selected two cards we did not have the ability to steer an avoiding course before we all piled into each other.
Rob.

David Manley
09-25-2015, 04:31
With the standart collision rules this woud have been a massacre.

Could have been; in true RN style we improvised, adapted, overcame and won :happy:

We didn't really follow our tactical team talk prior to the game; the plan was to break up the line and go independent very early on, but as it was the line was maintained until probably a game turn too late. If we'd gone then we'd have doubled the head of the French line quite nicely.

Nightbomber
09-25-2015, 08:40
Just get a little practice and get some Rum instead of G&T. :wink:

To my taste, Gin wins over Rum.:drinks:
Next year I must try a game on the SoG table. :swordleft:

Bligh
09-25-2015, 12:56
To my taste, Gin wins over Rum.:drinks:
Next year I must try a game on the SoG table. :swordleft:

Quite right Andy. Gin for the Wardroom, rum for the Ratings.
Bligh.:drinks:

Union Jack
09-25-2015, 17:11
Doubling the head, that was to be our tactic too. two ship sailing down each side of the British line. Your break through maneuver spoilt that one..the rest they say is history.