PDA

View Full Version : BRF: May Scenario: 'Who fired the first shot.....'

Union Jack
07-06-2015, 13:48
Eric has asked me to post a scenario for May as he is very busy. So hope you like it:

May Scenario: ‘Who fired the first shot.....’
The peace is fragile. Your squadron of 3 74’s has been shadowing 3 74’s and a big 100(+) gun flagship.

A sail is sighted to the north-west and the other squadron begins tacking to cross your bow.
The Game:
Area: Size of 2 normal mats.
The ‘other’ squadron’s 100(+) gun flagship should be the 2nd or 3rd ship in their line. Decide randomly.
Place both squadrons as indicated 1 range ruler length apart and ½ range ruler between ships.
The newcomer: Roll a D6
1 or 6 it is not one of your ships but one of theirs, a 32 gun frigate.
2,3,4,5 It is one of yours another 74.
The other squadron will try and cross the T in front of you.
You may fire at any time. Guns will not be double loaded but you can claim first fire with each initial broadside. You will have started the war!
Once the newcomer is within 1 ruler of the other squadron and is one of theirs the other squadron will open fire and engage your squadron.
If the newcomer is yours and gets within 1 ruler of you it will signal that you are at war and you may freely engage the enemy. If the enemy are between you and the friendly newcomer it will fire on the closest ship of the other squadron indicating that you are at war.
This is a fight to the bitter end.
Ships will roll 1d6 once they are down to the last hull box or crew box and will Strike their colours and surrender on a roll of 1.
You must capture or destroy the enemy squadron.
The wind is constant throughout the game.
VP’s
Sink/capture a 74 1 point
Sink /capture 100+ 2 points
Win the game 3 points (You cannot claim this if you started the war).

Special Rules:
Two mast hits takes out a sail setting. Start with the highest and work downwards to anchor. If dismasted then a ships only action is to anchor it will not move but remain stationary.
Fire damage will be taken as two boxes checked off then the fire is put out.
No other special damage will be counted. If drawn take the numbered damage only.

Nightmoss
07-06-2015, 17:20
This one is going to be bloody and I'm going to tell you right now what my sub, sub title is going to be! "Han Shot First"!

Bligh
07-11-2015, 03:32
Looks like a great action Neil, and the first true Squadron action that I will have fought.
Rob.

Nightmoss
07-13-2015, 15:54
Neil, I've started this scenario and I have a question on special damage draws? Are crew losses considered special damage? Do I ignore the crew loss and just report the number? This is going to be a blood bath regardless so it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other. Thanks.

Well, I can't leave the game set up over night so without an answer I'm going to consider crew casualties as not special damage. Both the number and crew loss will count.

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 02:20
Sorry Jim just caught this. You are correct crew are not special damage and should be counted.

Neil

Nightmoss
07-14-2015, 09:41
Neil, I was unable to finish this scenario last night. I got to turn 5 and had to clean up the area. I will try again, but with this many ships you really need to set aside a lot of time. I will also note that on my next attempt I'm going to use ship logs and return all the chits to the bags after marking down damage. One starter set of chits may not be enough to handle this number of vessels? Of course I got a rotten die roll so it was five British ships against my three French 74s. A total Furball. . .

Bligh
07-14-2015, 10:40
The more I look at this the worse it seems.:shock:
Wind gauge should be in favour of the three, but I'm darned if I can see how to use it to advantage. I think I'll just throw my lads into battle and pray for some good chits.:clap:
Rob.

Nightmoss
07-14-2015, 12:02
Far be it from me to tell anyone how to fight their battles, but when I get to this again I will most likely shoot right away if I don't get an ally coming into the mix. I don't foresee using my current captains either (and I didn't in the first attempt). Time to bring in the second string, aka cannon fodder. :wink:

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 12:09
Divide and conquer, divide and conquer.

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 12:11
Time to bring in the second string, aka cannon fodder.

...and to them the spoils of war shall go. If they win of course.

Bligh
07-14-2015, 14:00
Far be it from me to tell anyone how to fight their battles, but when I get to this again I will most likely shoot right away if I don't get an ally coming into the mix. I don't foresee using my current captains either (and I didn't in the first attempt). Time to bring in the second string, aka cannon fodder. :wink:
Good advice Jim. Good advice.
Rob.

TexaS
07-15-2015, 02:44
I was lucky in the roll and there were 4 vs 4, but I thought that only the side which got within a ruler got to fire the first turn, which turned out to be one ship, then all hell broke loose...

The AI isn't that good at fighting in a line of battle. That saved me.

Nightmoss
07-15-2015, 08:35
I was lucky in the roll and there were 4 vs 4, but I thought that only the side which got within a ruler got to fire the first turn, which turned out to be one ship, then all hell broke loose...

The AI isn't that good at fighting in a line of battle. That saved me.

You can fire anytime, but if you do you start the war and cannot claim 3 points should you pull off a victory. The AI will only fire when it gets within one ruler of the ship coming in, or if you fire first. At least that's how I set it up?

Union Jack
07-15-2015, 08:50
You can fire anytime, but if you do you start the war and cannot claim 3 points should you pull off a victory. The AI will only fire when it gets within one ruler of the ship coming in, or if you fire first. At least that's how I set it up?

That is exactly correct.

Nightmoss
07-16-2015, 15:47
Neil, I have another question concerning how you apply the special damage for fires? Am I correct in that you ignore the number, but fill two boxes on the hull track for each fire damage draw?

For example the exchange that just took place has HMS Bellona receiving 3 broadsides with the following chit draws: 5, 4, 4, 4, 3Fire, 3Fire, 2, 2Crew, 0, 0, 0, 0. If I'm reading you correctly this puts Bellona with only one full hull box remaining and a chance to roll for surrender based on your specific scenario rule.

Union Jack
07-16-2015, 16:14
You take the numerical damage too.

The fire taking out two boxes would happen anyway, I have just removed the need for ta s k points.

Neil

Nightmoss
07-16-2015, 16:23
You take the numerical damage too.

The fire taking out two boxes would happen anyway, I have just removed the need for ta s k points.

Neil

Thanks Neil. First casualty of the huge battle then. HMS Bellona slides beneath the waves after Turn 4. :shock:

Bligh
07-17-2015, 00:53
Not having to put task chits out for eight ships certainly speeded up the game no end.
I got mine finished in five hours including the time to take over 30 photographs.
It was a great game to play out.
Rob.

Nightmoss
07-17-2015, 09:50
I finished this last evening/morning at 12:30 am!?! 9 hours minus a break for dinner and clean up. It was a thrilling adventure and I now regret not using my special captains and their abilities, but this will allow for some of the second string commanders to get some serious experience.

Union Jack
07-17-2015, 10:54
Worth waiting for? A fleet action.

Nightmoss
07-17-2015, 12:43
Worth waiting for? A fleet action.

Definitely the most ships I've ever had in an encounter. Makes me all the more anxious to see what Ares comes up with for 'fleet rules'.

Union Jack
07-17-2015, 17:41
I'm trying out my signal cards for small fleet actions when I give this a go on Monday.

Nightmoss
07-17-2015, 17:43
I'm trying out my signal cards for small fleet actions when I give this a go on Monday.

Will be cool to see how it works!

Bligh
07-18-2015, 02:56

Are you going to have a Frigate standing off as a repeater ship to avoid the fog of war situation arising Neil?
Rob.

spiessbuerger
07-18-2015, 13:16
I finished this last evening/morning at 12:30 am!?! 9 hours minus a break for dinner and clean up. It was a thrilling adventure and I now regret not using my special captains and their abilities, but this will allow for some of the second string commanders to get some serious experience.

Oops! I should wait for my shore leave (vacation) to accomplish this scenario. :help:

Union Jack
07-19-2015, 02:00
I'm starting with last signal in play (ie they are doing what they are doing). After that it's line of sight, line of sight. No other ships than what's on the table or stated in the brief..

Neil

Are you going to have a Frigate standing off as a repeater ship to avoid the fog of war situation arising Neil?
Rob.