PDA

View Full Version : Lines.

garchilajr
07-05-2015, 10:11
What type of thread would be good to use when adding lines to the ships? Regular household thread?

TexaS
07-05-2015, 11:05
I use sewing thread. If going that way you need to make sure it's not "hairy" and that it's thin.

Old Salt
07-05-2015, 12:00
Fishing line could also work

Nightmoss
07-05-2015, 18:09
What type of thread would be good to use when adding lines to the ships? Regular household thread?

I like Uni-Thread fly tying thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPBFU8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

You can also try the monofiliment 'invisible thread': http://www.amazon.com/Notions-In-Network-252I-755-Yards-Smoke/dp/B000B7W8H0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1436141282&sr=8-8&keywords=monofilament+sewing+thread

Kentop
07-06-2015, 00:49
There's a sticky around here somewhere that shows rigging using paint brush whiskers started by the Royal Hajj. Look in the chippy shop.

7eat51
07-06-2015, 10:07
There's a sticky around here somewhere that shows rigging using paint brush whiskers started by the Royal Hajj. Look in the chippy shop.

Yep, here it is: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1547-How-To-Rig-a-SGN-ship-the-paint-brush-method

Sue really enjoyed painting the Constitution; she didn't enjoy the building. Keith's idea is an elegant solution for those of us whose hands or skill aren't conducive to rigging ships of this scale.

Volunteer
07-07-2015, 15:25
I like Uni-Thread fly tying thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPBFU8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

You can also try the monofiliment 'invisible thread': http://www.amazon.com/Notions-In-Network-252I-755-Yards-Smoke/dp/B000B7W8H0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1436141282&sr=8-8&keywords=monofilament+sewing+thread

Jim has it right. Fly tying line is the very best. it comes in every thickness and color. It doesn't sag or fuzz over time.

Devsdoc
07-07-2015, 16:21
I use sewing thread, but do not use cotton, only nylon. Cotton will stretch and in time rot. All of the above work. I like to keep things simple. One thick thread for main fore-stay, from the base of the fore-mast to the fighting top of the main-mast.Then thinner for the rest of the standing rigging, all black. for running rigging a lighter colour thread. All standing rigging is tared so black. I use a light gold thread for running rigging.
Be safe
Rory

wan314
07-07-2015, 23:40
I use cotton thread with white glue imbedded in it. Hang a weight while drying. Makes the thread stiff.
For running rigging used white thread and colored it with acyrlic paint. Soak, pull, squeeze, glue, stretch and dry.

garchilajr
07-08-2015, 05:57
Thank you, everyone!

Union Jack
07-29-2015, 14:34
Some great ideas. One day I might even get around to trying to rig a ship myself.

HMSVerity
01-14-2017, 17:32
I used cotton sewing thread
, which i cut into 2-3' lenghts, then separated into several threads. then hung them with a weight on the end and dripped CA glue down the length. this results in threads as stiff as wire.

Bligh
01-15-2017, 03:52
That is a novel way of keeping the thread under control Howard.
I will try it when I start my rigging.
Rob.

Nightmoss
01-15-2017, 09:41
I used cotton sewing thread
, which i cut into 2-3' lenghts, then separated into several threads. then hung them with a weight on the end and dripped CA glue down the length. this results in threads as stiff as wire.

Interesting idea I might have to try at some point. I know I've read somewhere that using CA glue on thread helps when rigging ships when you have to push through on drilled holes. Might have been in Langton's book or maybe Rory mentioned it here?

TexaS
01-15-2017, 10:02
I use superglue for stiffening the end of the thread to use as a needle. I have heard that cotton may stretch therefore I use synthetic thread. I would guess the use of glue lessens that effect.

John Paul
01-18-2017, 22:07
I started using some of the metal thread that you can find in places like Jo-Anne's Fabrics, and found it very easy to work with! Also, picked up a set of large needles most of which are bent at different angles and in half circles. Found them very useful for running rigging lines and tying off lines in tight places! The Notions Section has proven a very useful place to shop for hobby items!!

Bligh
01-19-2017, 02:06
I have heard that cotton may stretch therefore I use synthetic thread. I would guess the use of glue lessens that effect.

Although I have not experienced this effect on ships, I have noticed with the strings of bows on my 28mm Archers that in humid weather the cotton tightens up. When the weather changes they go slack and never regain the tension with which they started off.
Rob.

Bligh
01-19-2017, 02:18
I started using some of the metal thread that you can find in places like Jo-Anne's Fabrics, and found it very easy to work with! Also, picked up a set of large needles most of which are bent at different angles and in half circles. Found them very useful for running rigging lines and tying off lines in tight places! The Notions Section has proven a very useful place to shop for hobby items!!

That's a very good tip about the needles Paul. I will have to raid Mrs Bligh's sewing box again.:girlieangry:

Rob.

John Paul
01-21-2017, 23:38
I should have mentioned it, but the most useful pack of needles I've found is under the name, "Dritz", and are titled "Repair Needles". These are somewhat larger then your average sewing needles, and are designed for things like leather, canvas, carpet, sail, & upholstery! The seven needles have fairly large eyes, so you don't have to squint or use a magnifier to thread them plus they're large enough to be used comfortably by us ham fisted fat fingered men. They are down right handy!!

Hjl
01-22-2017, 08:37
That's a good idea with the needles. One of these days I'm going to do some rigging.

TexaS
01-22-2017, 11:33
I still prefer to dipp the end of the thread in superglue. It makes it stiff and it works as a needle but isn't much thicker than the thread itself.