PDA

View Full Version : Favourite rules

Pugwash
02-24-2012, 11:31
I have only played WSIM mainly a long time ago and more recently with 1/2300 miniatures, also had a couple of games of Trafalgar. I find WSIM gets a bit bogged down when combat starts sorting out which table to fire on, Trafalgar I haven't really got to grips with yet, I quite like the movement but there are a couple of things I am not too sure about, ie same speed for running and beating. Just wondering what other rules gamers use with miniatures.

Coog
02-24-2012, 12:09
I like small ship actions. WSIM seems to be the universal game for the period. I use a slightly modified version of Fighting Sail for miniatures. I have not ran across any system that does not have its drawbacks. That's why I am really wanting to see what Sails of Glory will be like.

David Manley
02-24-2012, 12:55
I started with WSIM back in the day, and "Ship of the Line" which was the miniatures rules on which it was based. Realised its limitations and errors and moved on to mark campbell's "Close Action" (and have played some monster games with Mark in the US with 30-40 players involved!) Around about 1986 I moved on to "Form Line of Battle" which I developed and which has remained a firm favourite to this day (not ultra-realistic, but fun and you can play big battles in a few hours). I also use a variant of "Man o War" for fun small games (ideal for participation games at shows) and a set of home grown very quick fleet action rules.

I've tried and own dozens of others, some of which I've liked (Hearts of Oak is a great set), others I like to read and others I ought to ditch as they were awful (but I'm a rules hoarder and i rarely get rid of anything!). btw, don't ask me what falls into the final category :)