PDA

View Full Version : AAR - March Scenario: Duty & Daring

Union Jack
06-24-2015, 14:58
Captains Log: Lieutenant George Belfrey commanding HMS Success
The engagement had been short but sharp. The admiral had sent us orders to take Royal George in tow and make best speed for port. I had dispatched two longboats with the hawser and rope.
In short time we had made the tow fast when the lookout shouted “Sail Ho...to West’rd”.
Well the newcomer was still hull down on the horizon and would take some time to reach us. I’d worry about her when she did not before.
The tow was extremely slow going. I ordered the helm 4 points to south hoping to pick up a better wind.
“Sail in sight...by her rig she’s French, ’74 by the sail she’s carrying” came the cry from the eagle eyed lookout. I took my speaking horn and quickly passed on my directions to Royal George’s temporary captain.
As we steered a s’westerly course the French ship loomed bigger.
As I turned away from the coastline and dangerous shoals the French 74 fired the first broadside. We were hit but not badly.
A she closed one of the crew recognised her as the Genereux. As the Genereux fired a broadside, this time at Royal George, it was our turn to answer in reply.
With Royal George acting like a sea anchor I heeled Success over on the starboard tack to cross Genereux stern. With broadsides and muskets Genereux could only answer with her afterguard marines.
As we broke away Genereux turned and fired at Royal George again. Her shot landed harmlessly in the water.
As I turned once more to make the final run for safety Genereux was reloading her broadside as Royal George and ourselves gave vent to our anger.
Genereux again engaged Royal George.
We again gave her full voice in return
Genereux fired her final encore at ourselves and sorely felt was the weight of iron as it struck our hull.
But as Genereux turned to cut us off we had the last say in this contest. And telling it was.
Genereux, by the bow, began to slip beneath the waves. We did rescue what remained of her crew but many that day went to join Davy Jones.

Butchers Bill
Genereux
Royal George
HMS Success
Captain Belfrey/RTP/Tow Success/Sank 1 enemy ship = 6 points

Summary:
1. Well that one went down to the wire.
2. Combining the fire power of both ships was too much for Genereux to take in the end..
3. The AI nearly got the best of me. Nut not quite.
4. What a fun scenario to play.

Neil

Nightmoss
06-24-2015, 16:23
Oh, very well done. I very much enjoyed the tow rope, boats in the water and the sails on the horizon. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on an excellent victory. :salute:

Union Jack
06-25-2015, 00:16
Looking forward to April scenario on Monday. Can Captain Jack get the merchants safely to port?

Bligh
06-25-2015, 10:12
Well handled Captain Jack.
That was the way to handle it.
It's essential to use all the fire power you have in this one, and that you accomplished in fine style.:clap:
Time to raise a glass methinks. :drinks:
Bligh.

Union Jack
06-25-2015, 17:06
Close call though. One more hit and the Success was done for.

Well handled Captain Jack.
That was the way to handle it.
It's essential to use all the fire power you have in this one, and that you accomplished in fine style.:clap:
Time to raise a glass methinks. :drinks:
Bligh.

TexaS
06-26-2015, 02:33
Those longboats looks great! The sails over the horizon was a good one!
Great AAR!:happy:

Bligh
06-26-2015, 03:16
I'll talk to you about close calls when you see my next AAR.
Bligh.

Loki 13
06-26-2015, 10:46
:beer: Well that was cool, very nice pictures. Especially "sails on the horizon". :beer: