PDA

View Full Version : On This Day - 22nd February 1797

David Manley
02-21-2012, 20:39
The last attempt at an invasion of mainland British - French troops under Lazare Hoche landed at Carregwastad Head near Fishguard in South Wales with the intention of marching on Bristol. The "beachhead" was isolated by local militia and landing parties from naval and revenue service vessels and the French force surrendered 2 days later.

Meanwhile in the US, John Barry was receiving "Commission No. 1" from George Washington, was made Commodore and at a stroke became not only the US Navy's first commissioned officer, but also its first officer of flag rank. Well done John :)

Bligh
02-23-2012, 13:29
Whilst visiting friends at Pembroke, I went to Fishguard and saw the very table in the very Public House where the French signed the surrender document. Well that was my excuse for entering the pub.
Bligh.

Berthier
02-23-2012, 20:39
The plan for the invasion of Ireland and side show in England was not one of France or Hoche's better ideas. A shaky plan was totally compromised by appalling weather (who invades Ireland in the middle of winter!) and bad luck. Hoche never made it to Ireland and would die later that year (1797).

As one of the few potential challengers to the military fame of Bonaparte along with Desaix (died 1800) and Marceau (died 1796)he left the field open for Bonaparte to come to power. Potential challengers who remained were Moreau and Bernadotte, the first lacked the judgement and risk taking skills whilst the later was manifestly unsuitable. Both were to be used as pawns in the struggle for power when military muscle to back up claims were needed but history has shown who came out on top.

Bligh
02-24-2012, 02:53
I'd hazzard a guess that Bernadotte came out on top in the fullness of time.
Rob.

Berthier
02-24-2012, 03:08
Ha quite right Rob. He ends up King of Sweden and his family descendents still rule today and this from a man who had a tattoo "death to Kings" (or tyrants cant remember). He's my least liked Marshal, totally disloyal throughout his career, extreme delusions of adequacy on the battlefield, held a grudge against Napoleon as he thought he had usurped his chance to rule France. Even in 1814 when he led the Swedes he continually avoided combat to preserve his troops and not ruin his chances with the French restoration and tried repeatedly to get himself appointed to the Head of State of France despite no one wanting him (including the Allies).

Just shows it isn't always the best or most deserving who succeed in life!

Blackrose
02-26-2012, 16:33
The last attempt at an invasion of mainland British - French troops under Lazare Hoche landed at Carregwastad Head near Fishguard in South Wales with the intention of marching on Bristol. The "beachhead" was isolated by local militia and landing parties from naval and revenue service vessels and the French force surrendered 2 days later.

Was this the incident where some French troops panicked at the sight of some Welsh women approaching, wearing the traditional peaked hat, and thinking they were Grenadiers?
Karl

Bligh
02-27-2012, 01:19
Was this the incident where some French troops panicked at the sight of some Welsh women approaching, wearing the traditional peaked hat, and thinking they were Grenadiers?
Karl

So they say, but it seems most unlikely. Red cloaks and tall hats were worn by Welsh women but not in everyday use when working. Plus the fact that they were not likely to stand in a regimented way on the cliff top. Seems more like a bit of English propaganda to me, but it makes a good story.
Bligh.
Rob.

David Manley
02-27-2012, 12:38
Seems more like a bit of English propaganda to me

My Welsh lady friends seem to think is legit :)

csadn
02-27-2012, 13:50
My Welsh lady friends seem to think is legit :)

"Surrender, or we'll start pronouncing Welsh town names at you!"
"Biological warfare -- you fiends! We surrender -- better that than to drown in a wave of phlegm!"

:)