PDA

View Full Version : Origins 6th June 2015 To catch a spy

Union Jack
06-12-2015, 23:07
Eric ran this fantastic scenario at Origins. I was delegated by my fellow captains as Commodore of the British Squadron for a 3rd time. Perhaps success would not elude us a 3rd time!

To catch a spy:

Ships Log Vanguard: June 5th
On urgent dispatch from Admiral Graves the squadron made the harbour of Yorktown. Of my original squadron only Goliath 74, Spartiate 74, Vanguard 74, Terpsichore 32 are sea worthy.

I received orders to sail on the morning tide. General Cornwallis came aboard with two guests. He has informed me that my two passengers must make it safely to England and must not fall into the hands of the French. He also informed me that the French knew my guests were here and would try all means to stop them escaping.

(Mr and Mrs 'Smith')

I have issued orders to the squadron. The French have anchored ships of the line across our only route out of Yorktown. To that end I have dispatched my guests to Spartiate. I will lead the way in Vanguard and Goliath will support from the rear. Terpsichore will act as a decoy and initially keep out of the fight and try and draw the French to her to allow Goliath to escape unhindered.

June 6th:
We have set sail in the dark before the light of dawn. I intend to close the French and break through their anchored line at dawn.
Vanguard led the way. The rear division gunners of Dougay Trouin must be given all praise for they did their work with great dispatch.

(3 French SoL anchored top to bottom on right, British line breaking through led by Vanguard, 2 French frigates attempt to close the door from the left side top of picture)

My Vanguard is sorely wounded but we have broke the line and are through. My crew have responded in kind and we managed to rake the Dougay Trouiin and lay damage on the 2nd French sail of the line, Genereux.

The battle rages around me but I fear we are done for. I have few men left to trim the sails or steer and fight the ship. I have ordered what remains of the crew to stay below deck hidden. Perhaps the French will leave us alone and we can have some respite to repair the damage.

From the stern window I can observe Spartiate leading the way through the French line and Goliath close in support. Terpsichore I cannot see but I can hear her broadsides so know she is still in the fight.

Dougay Trouin is like Vanguard, lifeless. Genereux is sinking and Courageuse has lost a mast. Aquilon alone remains in the chase. Spartiate has lost its foremast but is still leading the way.

I can see Terpsichore closing on Goliath and giving support but she looks in a bad way.

A small cutter has come out from Yorktown and I have pressed her crew into assisting getting Vanguard under way. The two French frigates have tacked to engage Vanguard. Courageuse has taken a rake and is out of the fight. Hermione is putting distance between us. I feel her captain has put safety before valour.

I can see two more French liners arriving from the north but I fear these are too late. Aquilon is slowly drifting as a 3rd French liners sails come into sight.

All to no avail Spartiate is clear and has sea room and speed to break free. God speed Spartiate and safe journey for Mr & Mrs Smith.

British Squadron:
Vanguard drifting crewless: Respawned
Spartiate escaped with Mr & Mrs Smith
Goliath escaped
Terpsichore escaped

French Squadron:
Dougay Trouin drifting crewless: Respawned
Generuex sunk: Respawned
Aquilon drifting crewless: Respawned
Generouse skedaddled
Hermione still in the fight

For the loss of 1 ship a resounding British victory. As they say 3rd time lucky. My thanks to Eric for running a great game and to my fellow captains:
misdomingo (Ann) commanding Goliath
ken commanding Spartiate
and please forgive me for I cannot remember the player who bravely captained the outgunned Terpsichore but who bravely supported our SoL against the french SoL. All in the true tradition of the senior service.

Nightmoss
06-13-2015, 09:20
Thanks for the AAR and photos. Looks like it was a fun time for all involved.

Bligh
06-13-2015, 11:29
Well stap me vitals.
It only seems days since we were in Yorktown with General Cornwallis, and here we are back in dear old England, spilling the beans to my Lord North. must have made a fast passage what! Don't Mrs Smith make a demned fine looking agent though. You'd never hazard that she is one of the most daring in all the Americas. Fluent in Spanish, French, Latin, Italian, and even has a smattering of Yankee Doodle.
Bligh.

Comte de Brueys
06-13-2015, 11:38
Nice AAR, Neil.

Unfortunately the French failed to secure this valuable freight. :cry:

Bligh
06-13-2015, 11:38
Très amusant!
replied Madame Smythe.:girlie:

Loki 13
06-13-2015, 21:13
:beer: Very nice AAR, It looks like a fun time was had by all. :drinks:

TexaS
06-14-2015, 11:10
Very good AAR. Really fun to read! :happy:

7eat51
06-14-2015, 11:29
This was a fun game. The British successfully delivered their highly distinguished and posh passengers at the game's end with some nice maneuvering and interference engaging of the French. You can see this in the second-to-last picture with the one ship sailing off the corner.

John Paul
06-14-2015, 23:35
Looks like everyone enjoyed the game, and hopefully many of them spent their sea pay at the Ares Tavern!!

I could swear I've seen the photo of that couple in our local Post Office on the "Wanted" wall!! :question::shock:

7eat51
06-15-2015, 07:47
I will do a little write up about each game sometime this week, but all-in-all, I think everyone enjoyed the games. I saw players at the Ares booth later each day - always a good sign.

Bligh
06-15-2015, 07:52
Looks like everyone enjoyed the game, and hopefully many of them spent their sea pay at the Ares Tavern!!

I could swear I've seen the photo of that couple in our local Post Office on the "Wanted" wall!! :question::shock:

You must have them confused with Bonnie and Clyde, Paul.:wink:
Bligh.