PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a blockade-running game

Banana_Joe
06-09-2015, 23:59
I am having a game this weekend and can't decide over a propper scenario.
I had some kind of blockade-running in my mind. One Sloop needs to get from one side of the table to the other assisted by two frigates. The blockade would be represented by one 1st rate, one 2nd rate and a frigate at the middle of the table.
I thought about having the wind blowing against the blockade runner, so he would have to cross it to get to the other side.
The game will be played with the full rules. Maybe a house rule that forces you to end up with lowered sails after a tacking maneuver.

John Paul
06-10-2015, 00:08
A 1st and 2nd rate as a Blockade Squadron seems pretty formidable for a Sloop and 2 Frigates. Generally a Blockade Squadron would be headed up by a 3rd rate with a couple of 5th or 6th rate Frigates. Of course, it could be fun watch the Small Boys out run the Big Boys!!

Loki 13
06-10-2015, 09:34
:beer: That sounds like a lot of fun. :drinks:

Banana_Joe
06-14-2015, 01:05
It was.
We played with four players. I played three ships and the mates who have played the game only once, or never took one ship each.
My blockade consisted of three ships (1st rate, 2nd rate and frigate) in the middle of the table with strucked sails.
The wind direction was determined randomly at the beginning and favoured the blockade runners. It only turned once during the game.

They could sink one ship of mine by boarding but in the very end I could get a lucky shot on the Sloop and blew her out of the water, right before she could reach the far end of the table. Great game.
Was a very balanced game.

John Paul
06-14-2015, 23:40
Glad to hear your planned game worked out as hoped, and all had a great time playing!

Blockade Running was a pretty typical engagement during the age of sail!! It also proved to be a very deadly mission!! :takecover:

7eat51
06-15-2015, 07:45
Interesting matchup. The blockade ships had struck sails for the duration of the game?

Banana_Joe
06-15-2015, 09:46
They were all just set up for the beginning this way. I raised all sails on all three blockade ships immediately.

7eat51
06-15-2015, 09:49
I ran a similar game at Origins. It was interesting watching the decision making. We might have had 10 players for that one, using SoLs and frigates. There is much potential for raking shots going both ways depending upon starting position and how quickly the ships can move.