PDA

View Full Version : Armada 12 Days to Save England

Naharaht
06-07-2015, 19:26
I happened to watch episode three if this BBC series tonight. Dan Snow tells the story of the Spanish Armada. I wasn't bad. All three episodes are still available on BBC iplayer for a few more days, if you would like to watch them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02pkxkm/armada-12-days-to-save-england-episode-1

Herkybird
06-08-2015, 12:57
Yes, I saw it all. I thought it was very well done and dispels many of the myths about the failure of the Armada.

I doubt it would play well in SofG though, unless you let the Spanish have only 1 broadside per game!!!! :takecover:

Bos'n
06-08-2015, 13:33
I happened to watch episode three if this BBC series tonight. Dan Snow tells the story of the Spanish Armada. I wasn't bad. All three episodes are still available on BBC iplayer for a few more days, if you would like to watch them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02pkxkm/armada-12-days-to-save-england-episode-1

For those of us from outside the UK the BBC on line service is not available. :dazed: There is a problem with obtaining certain rights for each program. We'll need to find a different way to view this program. :cry:

D*mn, :erk:

Bob

Broadsword56
06-08-2015, 13:54
Bob,
Actually, there is a way to watch all the BBC outside the UK. I do it every day from here in California.
You need:
1. An ipad
2. A VPN app (I use Tunnelbear). This has a simple switch that lets you set the country you want to fool the Internet into thinking you're in.
2. Add an Apple account sign-in that has a UK address (just Google a hotel in London or something and use that). Set the credit card billing method to none.
3. Log in with your UK sign-in and go to the UK itunes store. Download the BBC iplayer app.
4. Switch on your VPN and set your location to UK.
5. Launch the iplayer app and watch the BBC (all 4 channels, plus on-demand, etc.)

I'm reciting the sequence from memory, so I may be off on the exact sequence of steps. But it works, and if you really want to watch BBC programming you can do it with some trial-and-error. Thsi also works with the ITV PLayer app, and there's some great stuff to watch there, too.

For those of us from outside the UK the BBC on line service is not available. :dazed: There is a problem with obtaining certain rights for each program. We'll need to find a different way to view this program. :cry:

D*mn, :erk:

Bob

Popsical
06-09-2015, 12:30
Thanks for the tip David :salute:, just watched all 3 episodes back to back, SUPERB! The Beeb still produces fantastic documentaries. Some amazing new info has come to light in those letters.

Damn id love Ares to start the Tudor era ships now. I may have to revisit the Mary Rose again soon, im lucky enough to live just 45 miles for Portsmouth harbour.

Bligh
06-17-2015, 02:47
Just spotted this too late Dave.
That's what comes of swanning off across the Atlantic for eight days I guess.
Bligh.

7eat51
06-17-2015, 08:44
It would be nice to be able to see these. Eventually, I assume, they will become available to those of us across the pond (thank you Gina for your recommendation - no ipad here, unfortunately). I would enjoy earlier periods for our game. I read a book on the Anglo-Dutch Wars that whetted my appetite for some of those ships, and I think the Armada era would be great fun, as well. It would be nice to have those sculpts on the table.

Nightmoss
06-21-2015, 19:07
Speaking of the Spanish Armada have you all seen this recent story?

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2015/06/spanish-armada-cannons-found-in-co-sligo/

Naharaht
06-21-2015, 19:51
Thank you for drawing our attention to that story about the cannons, Jim. I had not seen that. I wonder whether they will ever excavate the other two wrecks.

7eat51
06-22-2015, 00:22
Very cool, Jim. Amazing how well preserved the cannons look to be.

Bligh
06-22-2015, 02:18
A very interesting find Jim.
I just wish that in articles such as this they would give the name of the type of gun for pedants like myself to reflect upon.
Incidentally talking of pedantry, did anybody spot the grammatical error in the title?
Rob.

Nightmoss
06-22-2015, 09:37
Very cool, Jim. Amazing how well preserved the cannons look to be.

I think the sand and turbulence of the water have kept them that clean?

A very interesting find Jim.
I just wish that in articles such as this they would give the name of the type of gun for pedants like myself to reflect upon.
Incidentally talking of pedantry, did anybody spot the grammatical error in the title?
Rob.

I don't wish to reveal my grammatical shortcomings, but are you referring to the plural of cannon as opposed to cannons?

Bligh
06-22-2015, 09:42
No criticism of you intended Jim.
Many dictionaries now allow cannons as the plural. It is becoming common usage.
That is why I said "pedants like myself." :happy:
Rob.

Nightmoss
06-22-2015, 09:49
No criticism of you intended Jim.
Many dictionaries now allow cannons as the plural. It is becoming common usage.
That is why I said "pedants like myself." :happy:
Rob.

You're probably going to laugh, but I had to look this up and only half way through the search did it strike me this involved the plural form of cannon. Initially I thought they just dropped the apostrophe!?! :shock:

Bligh
06-22-2015, 12:25
Just imagine how mixed up you can get when a broadside is delivered from the cannon.
How does one cannon deliver a broadside one may ask.
Well that is the secret of why British ships were so effective in action. Plurality fooled the French every time.:happy:
Bligh.