PDA

View Full Version : Latest Ares news photos at Carrara show

Popsical
06-06-2015, 07:33
Just perusing the said photos at this show and i noticed the players of SoG werent using the standard dashboards.
Could this be Ares showing off the new fleet rules? Just a thought.

TexaS
06-06-2015, 09:08
Would you, kind sir, please include a link to said pictures?

Kentop
06-06-2015, 09:25

I think he's talking about this photo: the caption reads: Sails of Glory scenario played with home-made terrain built by ALA.

TexaS
06-06-2015, 09:32
:hatsoff: Thank you, good sir. :happy:

Popsical
06-06-2015, 11:46
Yes cheers Ken :beer:

Comte de Brueys
06-06-2015, 12:18
Could this be Ares showing off the new fleet rules? Just a thought.

Looks like a game with basic rules.

Maybe they easy handle fire and reloading, so they do not neeed shipmats.

John Paul
06-06-2015, 19:17
Seems like they're just using the basic rules, and skipped using the Ship Mats to save room for the action!

DeRuyter
06-09-2015, 10:46
Seems like they're just using the basic rules, and skipped using the Ship Mats to save room for the action!

That's what it looks like to me as well.

7eat51
06-09-2015, 12:20
This is a good idea when playing with a simple set of rules; the less new players have to look at, the less confused they are. I pull all the damaged mast cards from their decks, as well.

fredmiracle
06-09-2015, 15:14
Yes at the Glorious First, Dave had simplified the game materials as much as possible, but there were still a lot of questions along the lines "what is the C/D range on the ruler for?" "what does the broken mast / leak / fire symbol on this damage counter mean," "what is the difference between 1 and 2 hourglasses," etc.

The players soon learned to expect to hear me say "in the advanced game..." Really this was not a bad thing, though, I think it got many players interested in digging deeper into the game.

Bligh
06-28-2015, 08:20
Also saves a lot of table space, which is the main problem I am finding when using more than four ships.
Rob.

7eat51
06-28-2015, 08:37
Yes at the Glorious First, Dave had simplified the game materials as much as possible, but there were still a lot of questions along the lines "what is the C/D range on the ruler for?" "what does the broken mast / leak / fire symbol on this damage counter mean," "what is the difference between 1 and 2 hourglasses," etc.

On the simplified logs, we removed everything not being used in the game. New players, especially when playing a two-hour slot, have a slightly overwhelmed look on their face after I explain the rules and during the first few maneuvers. This is exacerbated when, during the rule explanation or first few turns, players familiar with the game talk about various rules not in play; I hoped that removing everything not used would help with cutting down those comments, as well. I think we can easily forget what it is like for new players their first time playing, especially for those who are not familiar with AoS or wargaming in general; at Origins, I had many such players, but by the end of the session, they were excited about the game.