PDA

View Full Version : Nelson and Jack Sparrow tag team the French in the Caribbean.

Popsical
05-31-2015, 09:11
A rainy Sunday afternoon in Sussex takes my daughter and I to the Sunny Caribbean seas and some swashbuckling!

In a loose alliance the Black pearl and HMS Victory approach the French line...

Victory and Orient exchange fire.
Courageuse shoots Victory as she bears, the eccentric Sparrow has followed his loopy compass elsewhere :shock:
The Black pearl turns into the battle and shots are exchanged aplenty.
The Pearls first broadside hammers the Courageuse!
Courageuse hits back at the Pearl.
Pearls damaged by both frenchmen.
The ships drift apart after the first exchanges.
Orient's parting long ranged broadside sends the Pearl and Sparrow to Davey Jones' locker!
After much maneuvering Victory heads back into the French line. The odds are not favourable.
Nelson drives through the French line lashing out at both Frenchmen with furious fire from both of Victory's broadsides!
Courageuse is blown from the water!
The Orient takes some beating too.
Around the two goliaths turn.
The Orient gets a long shot off as Victory closes.
Victory rakes the orient as they pass, another triumph of British gunners at close range!
Both ships are blooded but unbowed.
Fire is exchanged in equal measure as the foes circle in a dance of death.
The Orient is taking the worst of it, the end is near...
The coup de grace is dealt and Jack Sparrow avenged, Nelson is the victor and he can claim the French beaten and the Caribbean clean of pirates!

A fantastic game using the basic rules plus the odd standard rule for flavour.
My initial set-up and movement as the French seemed to give me a fantastic advantage as I sailed in line and pasted the enemy as they came to bear piecemeal.
I secured the sinking of the Pearl and kept my ships in good form. My daughter then discovered the Nelson touch and showed what holding your fire and breaking the enemy line can achieve even in a basic game of SoG! She proceeded to rake one and broadside the other in a turn at point blank range, whilst I could little reply.
Up till then the game was firmly mine and it confirms that you can turn the scales if you keep your head and act determinedly.
Well done my darling! :salute:

Bligh
05-31-2015, 09:19
A very good game indeed.
Tactical skills on both sides but the raking broadside as you say can turn a battle upon its head.
Rob.

Nightmoss
05-31-2015, 09:22
What fun! Thanks for the AAR; great photos and description. Nelson and Sparrow team up?! Now that's a crazy Disney movie waiting to be made. :wink:

Popsical
05-31-2015, 10:42
Cheers fellas, it was a real blast. My piccies skills will improve after this try and i look forward to the next AAR that i can do.
Overall im happy with the way the game played out, the basic rules meant it was hard and fast. Probably the best way to introduce newbies to SoG in my humble opinion.
Jim, i hadn't looked at it that way, what a movie! :happy:

Comte de Brueys
05-31-2015, 12:02
Nice battle, Steve.

On June 4th we'll have a SoG game with some newbies, too. I think it's the best to start with the basic rules.

Popsical
05-31-2015, 13:48
Nice battle, Steve.

On June 4th we'll have a SoG game with some newbies, too. I think it's the best to start with the basic rules.

Good luck with that Sven. I feel most of the tactics and thought comes from the planning of movement 2 turns ahead and timing of shots in SoG. The rest of the rules are garnish for later when the players have got the game down to a finer art. New players will probably come from streamlined systems like 40k in which movement has little strategic impact.

Comte de Brueys
05-31-2015, 13:59
I have 4 new gamers and 3 veterans.

3 French frigates (1x Hebe + 2x Concorde)

vs.

3 RN frigates (1x Concorde + 2x Amazon) and 1 sloop will be a good choice.

The second game will be with standart rules. :wink:

Loki 13
05-31-2015, 14:08
:salute: Well that was really cool. :drinks: :Arrrr: Maybe this GAME could use some Pirates. :Arrrr:

Popsical
05-31-2015, 14:20
They seem a good choice in ships Sven, i hope it goes well and you recruit more sailors for our ship. :thumbsup:

Cheers Steven :beer: Pirates will add a new dimension to the game which will appeal to people outside of the historical set.
If SoG is to become more mainstream it must embrace them.

TexaS
05-31-2015, 14:31
That was an interesting fight. Good fun to read.

My experience from LinCon (Gaming convention in Sweden) is that it's good to start with basic game, but the players learn quickly even without X-Wing or WoG experience. If they're experienced as gamers you could go straight to advanced game for the second game. I'm still not sure which level I prefer. It's fun to manage everything and planning ahead, but sometimes just basic rules and quick mindless sailing is just as fun.

Popsical
05-31-2015, 14:45
Cheers Jonas. I use the basic rules with 2 turns ahead planning, reloading and sail settings. Im not that fussed on the crew actions in games with more than a ship per player as i like the speed of the game without it with more than a ship per player.
Oh. I also use the veer and burden rates too.

Bos'n
05-31-2015, 17:26
Okay Steven and Steve, I like your idea for the inclusion of pirates, we need the target practice.

Duck, :swordright::cannonboom: :cannon::takecover:
Bob:

Naharaht
05-31-2015, 20:42
Thank you for the great AAR, Steve! :clap:

John Paul
05-31-2015, 21:30
Nice game and write up Steve!! It does seem your daughter was born with the "Nelson Touch", and you should be aware of that in future games with her as your opponent!!

Popsical
05-31-2015, 23:35
Thanks David and Paul :drinks:
The pirates of the caribbean films have a lot to answer for :wink:
Im glad SoG has given my daughter and I a game we can share and enjoy.

John Paul
06-02-2015, 01:50
Thanks David and Paul :drinks:
The pirates of the caribbean films have a lot to answer for :wink:
Im glad SoG has given my daughter and I a game we can share and enjoy.

Enjoy it while you can Steve!! Soon enough she'll be going to prom, and Pirate ships might the furthest thing from her mind!! :shock:

Popsical
06-02-2015, 11:25
Not too soon i hope Paul! :pray:

John Paul
06-03-2015, 01:46
Not too soon i hope Paul! :pray:

I hear ya shipmate!!!! And sympathize!!!!!