PDA

View Full Version : Overbearing/stealing wind

TroubleAtTMill
05-23-2015, 14:48
Now it's possible I've missed it. but I don't see a rule for the above - i.e. one ship blocking another's wind.

Something like: if a ship is less than grape-shot range downwind of you, and the line to determine your movement speed passes through the hull of the downwind ship, you count the wind as one strength level less?

Thoughts?

John Paul
05-23-2015, 21:49
The game rules currently do not offer any advantage/disadvantage to ships with or without the wind Gauge. You might search under the forum heading "House Rules" for discussion and/or ideas on the particulars for this one!

NimitsTexan
05-23-2015, 23:23
Now it's possible I've missed it. but I don't see a rule for the above - i.e. one ship blocking another's wind.

Something like: if a ship is less than grape-shot range downwind of you, and the line to determine your movement speed passes through the hull of the downwind ship, you count the wind as one strength level less?

Thoughts?

That is probably beyond the detail level that SoG was aiming at, but your's is a useful houserule.

MWBell
09-20-2016, 03:43

Thoughts?

As usual, I just saw this post and (for what it's worth) have actually used this as a house rule for some time. I find it is a simple expedient and has worked quite well in our games.

Bligh
09-20-2016, 05:59
Glad you resurrected this today Michael.
I have been after something to cover this element in play for a while without actually formulating a simple rule for it. it seems to do the trick very well for me.
Rob.

MWBell
09-20-2016, 11:15
Anytime, Rob.

As I'm actually only becoming acquainted with this site, I seem to be throwing my 2-cents-worth into subjects that have (by most members' standards, anyway) become ancient history. For example, I've just now discovered the "campaigns" section...and am looking forward to trying out a few of them! You'll simply have to bear with me (and my highly probable redundancies) as I get caught up with everybody...

Mike

Bligh
09-20-2016, 11:55
Don't worry about that Mike.
Although I was a founder member, my work on the Drome took me away from the Anchorage for over two years. I did not get involved again until the start of 15, so am also glad if you find any gems I have missed.
Also good to flag up for other new members.
Rob.