PDA

View Full Version : LinCon 2015, Battle of San Domingo

TexaS
05-17-2015, 12:39
Keeping the battle going and answering questions I didn't have much time to note anything down but I took a lot of pictures. I used advanced rules but only plotted one move ahead as there were players that hadn't played before. They still handled crew actions very well.

The first pictures taken when the British players left to discuss tactics.

The last action was a British ship succeeding in a boarding after a friend's particularly ineffective broadside. The crew loss was just enough to make the French ship strike. The Imperial was still only half damaged and the British had four third rates still in action but it was decided to end the battle then due to it getting late.

Mark Kaiser
05-17-2015, 22:58
Very nice Jonas, but I notice the lower rate ships (in threes) way ahead of the action, did they not peel off to engage? Or were they held in stand by to mop up the pieces, hoping for targets remaining afloat not outclassing them? (In which case they could make a break for it.)

TexaS
05-17-2015, 23:02
Historically the frigates didn't engage and I only had players for all the ship of the line.

The British frigates initially chased the French frigates off the table and then more or less just hung around, waiting to capture prices.

Mark Kaiser
05-17-2015, 23:10
Historically they didn't engage and I only had players for all the ship of the line.

The British initially chased the French off the table and then more or less just hung around, waiting to capture prices.

Gotcha. Sort of 'Only Big Dogs need apply' and "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." scenario. LOL. I'm just dying to ask, what did you make your mainsail pennants from? Is that cloth or plastic? Hand cut? Thanks, Mark.

TexaS
05-18-2015, 00:01
It's paper. I print them using a color laser with good resolution. I glue them together double sided with white, wood glue which helps making them wavy.

When I say "only had players for all the ship of the line" it's still a lot of players in my book. I originally thought I would have to play the French myself.

John Paul
05-18-2015, 00:12
Jonas, looks like an outstanding presentation! Hornblower would be proud of your efforts!! :thumbsup:

Hope you enticed a newbie or two into the world of SoG!!!! Toss 'em a line then reel them in, sir!!! :salute:

TexaS
05-18-2015, 00:18
There were several new players that tried the drop in-learn to play games I ran and one who had bought the starter but never played it. In the battle there was a group of players that wanted to play together and played the French that had never tried it before, but had played X-Wing. They said they thought it was more fun than X-Wing, so I guess I did something right.

Mark Kaiser
05-18-2015, 00:27
It's paper. I print them using a color laser with good resolution. I glue them together double sided with white, wood glue which helps making them wavy.

When I say "only had players for all the ship of the line" it's still a lot of players in my book. I originally thought I would have to play the French myself.
Once again you astound me with your work!, Really first class, I can almost hear them billowing in the wind. In those battles, having lots of guns was nice, but given a choice, I would take speed, if you pull ahead and T rake the other ship she was in serious trouble, with some fancy S sailing, keeping to bow or stern of other ship, she was doomed. Plus you could get out of trouble as quickly as you got into it provided you didn't take mainsail or rudder damage, that's why I love my Corvettes.

Comte de Brueys
05-24-2015, 22:14
Another nice pictures of fleet action...

Nightmoss
05-24-2015, 23:09
Jonas, this was a great deal of work and really done exceptionally well. I'd give you rep, but am restricted from doing so until I spread more around. :salute:

TexaS
05-25-2015, 02:05
Thank you very much!:hatsoff:

I know what you mean. I also find I'm not good enough at spreading it around when trying to give rep.

Kentop
05-25-2015, 08:50
Really looks great. For a game that's supposed to be "one on one" ship actions, the fleet actions look like they are a lot more fun.

TexaS
05-25-2015, 09:31
I think so.

The thing that saves the system when having lots of ships is not too many ships per person and instead be several players.

Bligh
08-05-2015, 13:01
A very interesting looking action Jonas.
I am beginning to see what I have missed out on by neglecting this forum too much since I joined.
Thanks for another cracking set of illustrative pictures of the action.
Only sorry I just discovered I can't give you any more rep yet.
Rob.

TexaS
08-05-2015, 14:42
Don't worry. I find that a lot as well.

You really are going through the whole forum for AAR.

It's fun because it brings them up for us to see again and now I look back on this with different eyes.

Naharaht
08-05-2015, 19:00
A good After Action Report, Jonas. :thumbsup:

TexaS
08-05-2015, 23:03
Thank you. :hatsoff:

Bligh
08-06-2015, 03:34
I an desperately trying to read everything written here over the last 3.5 years Jonas.
I got so tied up with Wings, that I totally neglected what was going on here. The AARs and ship painting and customizing threads are the most interesting so I'm firstly concentrating more on those than the rest of the posts.
Rob.

TexaS
08-06-2015, 05:48
Oooh! My favourites! :thumbsup:

Which you will see as I'm guessing that I've been one of the most active on those areas the last six months.

Popsical
08-06-2015, 11:26
Great pictures Jonas. :beer:
I hope some of your captains take up the game. Well done. :salute:

TexaS
08-06-2015, 11:39
A few pictures from the learn to play games.

TexaS
08-06-2015, 11:44
More from the battle.

KDz
04-15-2016, 06:04
What a massive clash :shock:
Nice pictures :clap:

KDz
04-15-2016, 06:06
How many players were there:question:

Bligh
04-15-2016, 07:57
That is a real battle. Fantastic Jonas. Just like the ones I'm reading about now.
It has given me an idea.
Sealegs and I used to run the school Wargames club before I retired ten years ago.
At weekends there is a school Hall free with no users and any amount of tables you could wish for.
All I now need is a cloth as big as yours and we are in business.
I wonder if he could get permission from the Headmaster?
Rob.

TexaS
04-15-2016, 08:13
There were twelve player, one for each ship of the line.

Rob, that is not that far from what we do for gaming conventions in Sweden. We hire schools / universities and gather there for a weekend. It's cheaper than a exhibition hall and it's non-profit organisations that arrange them, using all profits for the organisations.

Bligh
04-15-2016, 08:30
I will look into it when we get back from Praag.
Rob.

Hjl
04-15-2016, 10:18
what a great battle. I wish i could go to some of these conventions.

TexaS
04-15-2016, 11:24
Thank you.

Hugh, I hope you can sometime. It's a lot of fun.

TWR
04-18-2016, 05:18
Wonderful photos. I have a couple of questions

Are there details of the ships involved and how the scenario works?

Can the roster cards be downloaded from this site or somewhere else? They look more suitable for a multiplayer game than the normal ships logs.

TexaS
04-18-2016, 09:01
There are no real details available as I just did the terrain and ships and put them pretty much as close to the historical start as I could. There were some details that didn't match completely.

I turned the whole area some to align the wind with the tables. The coast is to the north and the eastern part should have been angled down some into the sea as it was a big bay. It was moved around some during my test game so for the game I put it straight to be easier to put back if moved around.

The starting positions for the ships were pretty much as in the pictures. The French started in irons with no speed having just weighed anghors.

The ships stats were my approximations from the stats available of other ships. The models were Ares models with new cards with appropriate names and a few of my rebuilds. I gave the British ships a little weird decks (D) to make Agamemnon slower (B).

I could put up the rooster cards as they're not on the forum yet. It'll have to wait until tomorrow as I'm busy tonight.

TexaS
04-18-2016, 14:18
I put up the pictures I have in this thread:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4018-Ships-for-Battle-San-Domingo

TWR
04-18-2016, 15:03
Thank you, very useful. I will review it all in the coming days.