PDA

View Full Version : Actual Length of a Turn

Dobbs
04-09-2015, 14:39
Has anybody come up with an "official" length for a turn? I did some loose math based on movement, and got about 30 seconds, but my results could be easily challenged.

NimitsTexan
04-10-2015, 00:06
I would argue more about 1 min (in that you fire every other turn, and it generally took about two minutes, give or take a little, to load and fire a cannon).

fredmiracle
04-10-2015, 01:14
I'm pretty sure that any attempt to discern a consistent time/space scale in SGN will only lead to frustration and disappointment...

John Paul
04-10-2015, 01:46
It's best to think of a game turn as a variable length of time, fairly short, not too long, but not a certain measure of time! Otherwise you may give yourself a migraine!!

Dobbs
04-13-2015, 19:49
Here's my thinking: These boats are 1/1000 scale, so a if we go with a nautical mile of 6000 feet (open to some debate, but keeping the math simple), then a boat traveling at 6 knots moves 7.2 inches in a minute. I figured 6 knots as a good average speed for combat. Apparently under regular sailing conditions, 12 knots was hauling some butt. A ship base is 3", and if you are moving, that and a little bit more is the minimum you can move. So that's how I get roughly 30 seconds a turn. If you picture your ships moving faster, the length of a turn gets shorter.

NimitsTexan
04-13-2015, 20:13
That is definitely very logical, but does not square with the shot every other turn. Rate of fire for most of these guns was about 1.5-2 min per shot.

And of course, most battles lasted more than 10-20 min (which would be 20-40 30 sec turns)

Gunner
04-13-2015, 20:37
As far as I'm concerned, the length of a turn is how long it takes the players to complete the turn, or 1/3 of a beer, which ever is more agreeable to everyone:beer:

Naharaht
04-13-2015, 22:54
I take the point of view that it is a game and therefore does not have to be a historically accurate simulation in every detail.

David Manley
04-13-2015, 23:17
indeed, if you try to rationalise timescale/groundscale/model scale/typical engagement length etc. for most wargames it is a route to madness :happy:

Gunner
04-13-2015, 23:56
indeed, if you try to rationalise timescale/groundscale/model scale/typical engagement length etc. for most wargames it is a route to madness :happy:

Hear, hear:drinks:

Gunner
04-14-2015, 00:08
I take the point of view that it is a game and therefore does not have to be a historically accurate simulation in every detail.

And don't get me wrong David, looking for ways to make a game historically accurate makes the game more enjoyable for many and should be encouraged. But not to the tune of 'their coming to take me away ha ha, ho,ho'.(For those of you old enough to remember the song):beer:

Diamondback
04-14-2015, 00:16
NOT NICE, Ed! You just gave me flashbacks to one of my Psych classes... I used to torture the poor prof with that song almost daily.

Gunner
04-14-2015, 00:26
NOT NICE, Ed! You just gave me flashbacks to one of my Psych classes... I used to torture the poor prof with that song almost daily.

One radio station played that song every day at the same time while I was driving to work, helping me to put up with anything.

TexaS
04-14-2015, 00:51
(For those of you old enough to remember the song):beer:

You don't have to be old to remember that song. I remember it and I'm not old. I might be in denial, though. :bleh: :rum:

Kentop
04-14-2015, 00:57
Everybody's wrong. The length of a turn in SGN is based on how many broadsides a british SOL can deliver. At their Napoleonic height, British ships could deliver one broadside every two to four minutes. The french could usually get off one in those same 4 minutes. The whole idea of waiting every other turn to fire is predicated on that assumption. So, one turn is equal to two minutes actual time.

Coog
04-14-2015, 01:09
And don't get me wrong David, looking for ways to make a game historically accurate makes the game more enjoyable for many and should be encouraged. But not to the tune of 'their coming to take me away ha ha, ho,ho'.(For those of you old enough to remember the song):beer:

How many have ever heard the whole series of songs? Here's all four in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WmbbFD_XhQ

Kentop
04-14-2015, 01:15
Doctor Demento deserves this nation's highest civilian honor for duty above and beyond. I salute him.

csadn
04-14-2015, 15:50
I've met Dr. D. -- he was at the Reno Worldcon. I had to explain to him what I mean by "Grandma Songs" -- "the sort of song which under absolutely *no* circumstances your Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother should *ever* hear; yet whose playing will inevitably cause said grandma to barge into one's room without knocking".

John Paul
04-17-2015, 16:26
As far as I'm concerned, the length of a turn is how long it takes the players to complete the turn, or 1/3 of a beer, which ever is more agreeable to everyone:beer:

That makes a great deal of sense to me, and is the best means of timing a turn! It's sort of like a liquid sextant!!

Gunner
04-17-2015, 17:28
That makes a great deal of sense to me, and is the best means of timing a turn! It's sort of like a liquid sextant!!

And after the 12th turn (using the 1/3 rule) even if you're losing you feel good. And you don't get that brass aftertaste :beer:

Diamondback
04-18-2015, 19:29
How many have ever heard the whole series of songs? Here's all four in order:
FOUR?! I knew about the original, "I'm Glad They Took You Away" and "They're Coming To Get Me Again," but there being a fourth is news to me.

Coog
04-18-2015, 19:41
FOUR?! I knew about the original, "I'm Glad They Took You Away" and "They're Coming To Get Me Again," but there being a fourth is news to me.

It's just the first played backwards, the last song on the album.

However if you're a glutton for punishment, here is the entire album of their...best???:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x88EUR9VKc

Kentop
04-18-2015, 19:48
I've met Dr. D. -- he was at the Reno Worldcon. I had to explain to him what I mean by "Grandma Songs" -- "the sort of song which under absolutely *no* circumstances your Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother should *ever* hear; yet whose playing will inevitably cause said grandma to barge into one's room without knocking".

Doctor Demento discovered Weird Al Yankovic back in the 80's when he was an architecture student and singing in bathrooms and stairwells to get the echo effect. His dad (Frank) was a great accordion player and would have approved of everything Al has accomplished, carrying on his legacy. Google Frankie Yankovic.

csadn
04-19-2015, 18:04
His dad (Frank) was a great accordion player and would have approved of everything Al has accomplished, carrying on his legacy. Google Frankie Yankovic.

Um -- frankie Yankovic and "Weird Al" Yankovic are *NOT* related in any way whatever.

http://www.al-oholicsanonymous.com/faq/#frankie

Diamondback
04-19-2015, 21:10
Remind me that if I ever end up hosting French as a houseguest, I'm to lock down *ALL* audio equipment...

csadn
04-20-2015, 16:19
Remind me that if I ever end up hosting French as a houseguest, I'm to lock down *ALL* audio equipment...

Two Words: "Boom Box".

(And my truck has a CD player. >;) )

Loki 13
04-20-2015, 20:03
:Arrrr: IT'S A GAME !!!! With really cool minis, so enjoy it . :Arrrr:

Bligh
04-21-2015, 04:31
:Arrrr: IT'S A GAME !!!! With really cool minis, so enjoy it . :Arrrr:

I'd almost forgotten that Steven.

Now they're going to send me ships again, Ho ho har har.:minis:

The Post man comes in his nice blue coat, and puts them in my box, har har ho ho te hee.:happy:
Etc, ad infinitum.
Bligh.

Loki 13
04-21-2015, 11:08
:drinks: CHEERS !!! Rob :beer: