PDA

View Full Version : Wave 2 Old Packaging vs New

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 15:41
I just received two Hebe class frigates from Miniature Market. They came in green boxes and the packaging was not as impressive as the ships I have gotten so far in red boxes. In fact, one of them did not have a clear plastic cover that holds the ship steady, and the other clear insert does not stay put without tape, unlike the red boxes where the inserts snap in. Are these the original Wave 2 'less than perfect' packaging that everyone was talking about, or is this just the way the frigates come?

Diamondback
04-07-2015, 15:53
Dobbs, the Frigate lids don't fit as secure as the SOL lids. You have one of each, it sounds like.

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 15:59
No, I have one HMS Amelia, and one Proserpine. The Proserpine came without a lid.

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 16:00
But just to confirm, the green packaging and the loose lids is the current frigate packaging?

Diamondback
04-07-2015, 16:05
Green Box is Wave 2, Red Box Wave 1. You have one each Wave 2 Old and Wave 2 New. The Wave 1 Expanded Edition also got the same treatment, with loose frigate lids and tighter SOL lids--probably because the majority of the breakage was on those expensive First Rates, a debacle which is *still* costing Ares in both restitution expenses and Bad PR.

Wave 3 will probably be yet another color, much like how the Wings line uses a different box color for each series.

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 16:11
Thanks for the insights, DB. So the clear plastic lids were the solution to the broken masts?

Diamondback
04-07-2015, 16:18
On the Wave 2 skinny masts, yes. The problem seems to have been a convergence of the skinnier masts relative to Wave 1 paired with insufficient structure to hold them in place and prevent them from being shaken apart in transit in the tray; the Wave 1 masts were enough beefier that they didn't need the extra support.

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 16:27
Yes, I also picked up an Embuscade. The packaging is so tidy, with the lid that snaps in place, and the masts are nice and firm. I attributed that to it being a smaller model. It is a shame they did not make all of the lids snap in. I have taken to traveling without the cardboard boxes since the lids stayed on so well. This seems like it will only be achieved with tape for the Hebes lids

Diamondback
04-07-2015, 16:40
If it helps to know, I usually reinforce my masts with a dab of superglue as a preventative measure--and I've found that plastic photo cases work very nicely for storing my frigates and their associated bases, decks etc. :) (I use an Iris KP-XLPHO myself; it spent a month bouncing around the back of my aunt's minivan with no problems.) SOLs, I have slightly bigger boxes that I keep mine in which are a little more compact than the original while still holding everything; these in turn slot neatly into an organizer tray.

Personally, I like something with a little more "structure" between my ships and things that could do them harm, but that's just me.

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 17:05
Are these methods of storing described elsewhere on this site?

Dobbs
04-07-2015, 17:06
...In greater detail?

Diamondback
04-07-2015, 17:14
http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2553-Storage-of-the-fleet-while-at-anchor

Also, check this thread, or just do a search on "Storage"...
http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2129-Storage-and-Boxes

My usual "weapon of choice" is the Really Useful Boxes 0.3-liter Organizer Pack--set it up right, and it'll hold sixteen Third Rates or British Firsts. Oceans are enough bigger that they need the next size up (0.7-liter), which doesn't have a nice neat tray... but at least lets you pack two to a box.

7eat51
04-07-2015, 22:08
Dobbs, here is how I store and transfer my ships: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2137-SoG-Sails-into-JoAnn-Fabrics-a-1st-attempt-at-storage&highlight=joann

I have changed some things regarding all the bits and pieces, having adopted laminated ship logs, but the ships are still in these containers. If you place a magnet on the bottom of the ship, ship base, and container, you will have a stronger and safer solution, as well as an easier time with the ships during game play.

Comte de Brueys
04-08-2015, 05:42
Best way to store them is in their orginal boxes.

But this works only for a fleet like mine with 12 - 15 ships.

If you host bigger games or have a bigger fleet this will not work. The unboxing action each time will make you mad. :wink:

TexaS
04-08-2015, 05:46
If you add rigging to the ships they might not fit anymore either. :help:

Dobbs
04-08-2015, 16:46
If you add rigging to the ships they might not fit anymore either. :help:
Yes, that is a conundrum I am angling toward. So far I have only added paint, but I am looking forward to trying rigging.

DeRuyter
04-13-2015, 11:59
Yes, that is a conundrum I am angling toward. So far I have only added paint, but I am looking forward to trying rigging.

I use the "Really Useful" boxes (Staples) with magnetic sheeting and I glued RE mags under each base (both found at Home Depot). That way you have a large open area for your rigged ships. Not that I have gotten around to rigging yet....