PDA

View Full Version : On this Day - February 14th 1797

David Manley
02-13-2012, 23:37
The Battle of Cape St Vincent

Fifteen British ships of the line and five frigates under the command of Admiral Jervis engage a Spanish fleet of twenty seven liners and seven frigates. Four Spanish ships are captured. The Santissima Trinidad strikes her colours, but is rescued by other Spanish ships and makes her escape.

At the onset of the battle Jervis did not realise he was so heavily outnumbered, which led to an interesting series of exchanges on the quarterdeck of HMS VICTORY as captains Calder and Hallowell reported the increasing numbers of enemy ships in sight:

"There are eight sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"

"There are twenty sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"

"There are twenty five sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"

"There are twenty seven sail of the line, Sir John"
"Enough, sir, no more of that; the die is cast, and if there are fifty sail I will go through them"

More details, including orders of battle and charts for those inclined to refight the action, can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_St_Vincent_(1797)

I might well break out my fleet action rules and my 1/2400 Hallmark collection and give this one a go tonight :)

Berthier
02-14-2012, 02:19
An action that bought Nelson much fame as Captain of Captain! He boarded the San Nicolas causing her to strike only then to have San Josef do the same as both Spanish ships were together. Thus 'Nelson's Patent Bridge for capturing first rates' became the famous catch cry of that part of the action.

Anav
02-14-2012, 15:21
big day for everyone!

David Manley
02-15-2012, 15:42
The refight with my fleet action fast play rules was quite enlightening as i realised they were COMPLETELY AWFUL - so the quiet afternoon's play ended up as the beginning of a comprehensive rewrite. This afternoon's additions seem to be working quite nicely :) Still not ideal, and these rules will never see the light of day as a published work, but for now they seem to be giving plausible results and a fairly quick game.