PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Squadron

Coog
02-08-2012, 15:31
I have often thought of a campaign based on a "what if" that could have happened. USS Essex, 32 was to have rendezvoused with USS Constitution, 44, accompanied by USS Hornet, 18 in the South Atlantic as the year of 1812 came to an end. The rendezvous was missed and the Essex went into the Pacific while the Constitution and Hornet remained in the South Atlantic. What if the rendezvous would have occurred and all three ships had proceeded into the Pacific together? It would have been a formidable little force. And what if the ships ranged farther than the Essex did, perhaps as far as South Africa? I pose the following questions:

1. Would the British have responded faster to the greater threat? It was about a year before HMS Phoebe, 36 and HMS Cherub,18 were sent to deal with the Essex.

2. While there were no British warships operating in the Pacific around South America, what British ships, if any, were operating around the rest of the Pacific, Indian Ocean, and near the Cape of Good Hope at the time?

3. What size of force and size of ships would the British have sent to engage the Americans?

4. Where could the Americans have found places to resupply across the Pacific and Indian Ocean?

I appreciate your opinions based on facts and sound educated guesses. Also fell free to pose any other concerns that would need to be addressed in such a campaign.

csadn
02-09-2012, 16:50
1. Would the British have responded faster to the greater threat? It was about a year before HMS Phoebe, 36 and HMS Cherub,18 were sent to deal with the Essex.

Britain may have sent more units; but there was only so quickly communications could take place -- first, word of the raiders has to arrive at the local station; then word has to pass to the Admiralty; then an "appropriate response" package needs to be kitted out; then the package has to go out there; and then it has to find the raiders. Meanwhile said raiders are out causing nine kinds of havoc....

2. While there were no British warships operating in the Pacific around South America, what British ships, if any, were operating around the rest of the Pacific, Indian Ocean, and near the Cape of Good Hope at the time?

Not certain of this -- I remember seeing a listing of relative fleet sizes once, which IIRC included the station at which the unit served; but this was long ago. And realize: Those ships were there for a reason -- pulling them off to chase raiders means they aren't there when "the main enemy" hoves into view.

3. What size of force and size of ships would the British have sent to engage the Americans?

It would appear the "normal" force package was a brace of frigates, with perhaps a low-end SoL included; the main SoL forces were occupied with the blockade of the Continent (it was known the US had no SoLs; so few to none were sent to deal with the "Yankee upstarts"). Figure 3-4 frigates, maybe 1-2 "post ships", brigs, or smaller (for communications), and at the outside a single 64-gun SoL. (I'm unsure as to what effect the shellackings _Constitution_ and _United States_ provided to _Guerierre_ and _Macedonian_ would have on the British selection of forces.)

4. Where could the Americans have found places to resupply across the Pacific and Indian Ocean?

Pretty-much anywhere the British didn't have a major fleet base. Native islanders would trade with anyone; and if two frigates and a sloop-of-war came into a harbor where the local Governor had no ships and no real fortifications, the response was "See -- I do this under duress", at which point the harbor would be opened to the interlopers. There were protocols for the handling of hostiles in neutral harbors, as well. The main problem the US raiders would face is normal wear-and-tear on both ship and crew; after a year or so, the ships would be in need of full refits, and the crews would want to go home.