PDA

View Full Version : Magical Reefs?

Mycenius
03-14-2015, 18:00
So if I read this right from page 43:

If, due to it's chosen maneuver, a ship would move so that, at the end of the movement, its base overlaps a reef terrain element, movement is not executed in the normal way.

If I sail entirely across the reef in one move, so that none of my base remains in contact with it at the end of the move, I can cross it with no effect. It's only if I end up with any of my base on or touching the reef marker that I suffer damage and risk grounding...?

:question:

Diamondback
03-14-2015, 19:23
Makes no sense to me either--I'd prefer a mechanic where the Reef has a rating and you have to draw against that rating at a penalty increasing by size of ship to avoid taking damage or being stranded like USS Philadelphia.

John Paul
03-14-2015, 20:07
The rule is written in the same vain as two ships contacting each other, as it only counts if both end movement still in contact. It's consistent with the other movement rules, although quirky and does leave one scratching your head! :question: Though if you've ever run over a reef at sea . . . :shock:

Mycenius
03-14-2015, 20:14
Indeed - it's not an issue per see - just a quirky observation I just made...

Dobbs
03-18-2015, 20:05
I think the ideas discussed in "More interesting shoals" in the house rules have merit.

Mycenius
03-19-2015, 01:02
I think the ideas discussed in "More interesting shoals" in the house rules have merit.

More Interesting Shoals Thread (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1964-More-interesting-shoals)

Bligh
03-23-2015, 15:00
Running aground on a shoal seems to have been fairly well dealt with, but I feel that a reef is a different kettle of fish entirely. Ships can have their bottoms ripped out on a reef or the shock of impact can cause masts to go by the board, so we really need rules to cover these effects as well.
Maybe the original rule was intended to mean that if you ended a move on a reef you had grounded but if you ended your move after crossing it you had enough draught to clear it on the tide or found a channel between the higher points.
Bligh.

Diamondback
03-24-2015, 12:04
The rule is written in the same vain as two ships contacting each other, as it only counts if both end movement still in contact. It's consistent with the other movement rules, although quirky and does leave one scratching your head! :question: Though if you've ever run over a reef at sea . . . :shock:
"Teleport successful!"--Protoss Scout starfighter pilot, StarCraft

Or not, in the latter case... LOL

John Paul
03-25-2015, 02:00
Running aground on a shoal seems to have been fairly well dealt with, but I feel that a reef is a different kettle of fish entirely. Ships can have their bottoms ripped out on a reef or the shock of impact can cause masts to go by the board, so we really need rules to cover these effects as well.
Maybe the original rule was intended to mean that if you ended a move on a reef you had grounded but if you ended your move after crossing it you had enough draught to clear it on the tide or found a channel between the higher points.
Bligh.

Rob, I think that's a good way to look at it as it's not impossible to pass over a reef given a good chart and the right tide. The shoals often prove to be the most hazardous as they are more likely to change with the tide and weather moving them around.

Bligh
03-25-2015, 02:58
Yes indeed Paul. I think that is the way that I'm going to deal with it.
Bligh.