PDA

View Full Version : What happens the turn after ships bump?

Dobbs
03-14-2015, 10:54
The rules talk about how to work out running into each other, but not how to move clear. Is it really that on the next turn, if the ships are not entangled or grappled, it's just movement as usual?

Herkybird
03-14-2015, 11:20
Hmm, well, that's the way we play it! - Keep it simple!

However, I can se a logical argument for replacing the first post bump move as being like a 1 mast damaged manoeuvre? :question:

Dobbs
03-14-2015, 11:23
I thought maybe a speed reduction of one for the next turn?

Mycenius
03-14-2015, 18:07
There are rules for determining if you are entangled - also remember you only collide if you end movement in contact or overlapping, not if you pass over each other but end up clear (due to the abstraction in how movement & combat work versus real time).

Note similar seems to apply to reefs - see my Magical Reefs? (http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3151-Magical-Reefs) post.

Ultimately the game's not about a Ram-fest - and it is somewhat abstracted - so you don't want to get too much into micro-detail of things that may affect only a small part of a normal 'game turn'. After a collision the game mechanics are simply the two vessels move off as normal (unless entangled or boarding) and providing the clear each other's bases it's all over...

I thought maybe a speed reduction of one for the next turn?

You would get some penalty occasionally anyway if both vessels head a similar way or whatever and effectively collide a second time (because their bases don't clear each other by the end of their movement).

Mycenius
03-14-2015, 18:12
However, I can see a logical argument for replacing the first post bump move as being like a 1 mast damaged manoeuvre? :question:

Problem is Richard this then becomes an incentive to ram other vessels (depending on circumstances) - we had that discussion here the other week... It is definitely historically realistic to suffer mast and/or sail damage and some hull as well due to collisions, but it's also related to speed and other factors, and even putting aside the ram-fest issue, as SGN models speed, etc (e.g. who hits who when it's simultaneous movement), a bit abstractly it's hard to have a sensible rule.

I was bemused at first but now feel the game works fine without it...

John Paul
03-14-2015, 21:14
As John points out the rules are really meant to dissuade players from routinely running into their opponents ship as a tactical maneuver in hopes of piling on the damage. Thus should it happen in a game the damage is meant to be minimal, and not bog down into a ramming fest.

DeRuyter
03-16-2015, 09:21
I play that the turn after a collision the ship is reduced to backing sails speed. I just have the ships sail past each other even if the normal movement would not allow the bases to clear. Only damage is "C" if a ship collided under full sails.

Mycenius
03-16-2015, 14:59
On a vaguely related note - I once played a game of Langton Naval (the full HTSFCA set) - in fact my very first game with those rules - where we had Dutch vs. Brits with a 74, large 36 or 44-gun or so Frigate/razee, and small 28-30 gun frigate a side... I had the small Frigate for the Royal Navy being the learner driver...

...anyway as our two 3rd rates slugged it out at the head of our columns (then gradually moved off in their private battle), I disobeyed orders and sailed off out of my position at the end of the line - the Dutch 44 and 28(?) then ganged up on our 44 (or maybe 36-gun frigate) taking turns to pound it although it was fighting back well against it's opposite number - until I then came screaming in from left field in my little frigate, squeezed right between the 2 Dutch Frigates, and collided with the larger 44 at full sail! Lost 2 masts, and a swag of other hull and peripheral damage!

...But I then loosed off both initial broadsides at point blank (one into each Dutch Frigate) then stormed aboard the large one and captured her in a boarding action! My ship was a total mess - but I captured the larger Dutch vessel as a prize and badly damaged the smaller frigate - which pretty much decided the battle! And my crew were the toast of the squadron!

...but I don't think I'd recommend that as a regular tactic!

:wink: :happy:

TexaS
03-16-2015, 23:59
It's a Hornblower move.:swordright:

...and a little along the lines of another Horatio...

Mycenius
03-17-2015, 04:03
It's a Hornblower move.:swordright:

...and a little along the lines of another Horatio...

:wink: