PDA

View Full Version : Un Trio de Batailles Navales

Mycenius
03-09-2015, 03:15
I recently caught up with another local Auckland wargamer for a series of SGN Games - as I am relatively new to SGN (and my opponent hadn't played for 6-9 months), AND we used the full advanced and optional rules (barring 1 or 2 exceptions) we focussed on playing 1 on 1 ship actions with no particular mission other than defeat the enemy - this still produced some fun and interesting games. Our first action was a brisk and brutal one with 32-gun Frigates and I've posted a brief AAR and photos on my blog Un Trio de Batailles Navales (1) (http://wargaming.info/2015/un-trio-de-batailles-navales-1/)

Below is a photo of the key moment in the game - where the RN vessel, recovering from receiving a bow rake, deals a decisive volley of fire to the French!

More AARs will follow as I get a chance to post them...

Nightmoss
03-09-2015, 09:04
Thanks for the link and photo. Would you agree with the general consensus here that when using Standard and Advanced Rules the battles go much faster? How many turns did this exchange take and what real time transpired from start to finish, approximately? Cheers!

Mycenius
03-09-2015, 15:30
Thanks for the link and photo. Would you agree with the general consensus here that when using Standard and Advanced Rules the battles go much faster? How many turns did this exchange take and what real time transpired from start to finish, approximately? Cheers!

Game was only about 8 turns total (of which first 3 were fast manoeuvring turns with no combat) - and in real time was maybe 1½ hours BUT we were slow starting and both constantly looking stuff up to make sure we get things right! So might have played it out in 45 minutes if experienced. But yes general feel of all 3 games (the other 2 games were opposing 74's) is the advanced & optional rules make things faster as the ship's damage and decisiveness of actions is much more dramatic!

Mycenius
03-10-2015, 01:39
Here's the second engagement: Un Trio de Batailles Navales (2) (http://wargaming.info/2015/un-trio-de-batailles-navales-2/) - a couple of 74's slug it out.

The opening broadsides...:

Nightmoss
03-10-2015, 09:21
Amazing! Look at all those zero's?!?

Mycenius
03-11-2015, 01:46

:wink:

Yep - HMS Vanguard was especially charmed in that particular exchange of broadsides! :wink:

I am using a double set of counters though - to try and smooth out the results across a full game and avoid a freak set of results early or late in a game as discussed elsewhere...

7eat51
03-11-2015, 08:34
Thanks for sharing, John. How do you like playing with the full compliment of rules?

French gunners. :takecover:

Loki 13
03-11-2015, 19:08
Nice , sometimes just a quick beat up the other guy games are the best.
:beer:

John Paul
03-11-2015, 22:02
John,

Out of curiosity do you recycle the damage counters after each draw, or leave the drawn counters out of the mix for the remainder of the game?

I also, started using a complete set of damage counters for each side in the games I run. I don't recycle the counters once drawn!

Naharaht
03-11-2015, 22:10
I leave damage counters out of the mix until a ship surrenders and then I recycle them.

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 02:41
John,

Out of curiosity do you recycle the damage counters after each draw, or leave the drawn counters out of the mix for the remainder of the game?

The Latter Paul, but recycle after the ship strikes or sinks as per David's Comment below....

I leave damage counters out of the mix until a ship surrenders and then I recycle them.

I have not got tho this stage yet:

I also, started using a complete set of damage counters for each side in the games I run. I don't recycle the counters once drawn!

Separate set for each side is kinda a cool idea actually - I must say - although not recycling I can imagine being a potential issue in larger games with lots of SOLs on table...?

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 02:43
Nice , sometimes just a quick beat up the other guy games are the best.
:beer:

Yep! :wink: The main thing was it was my first games (a) with a real opponent, and (b) with the full advanced rules, etc..., and my opponent Joel had played several games of the advanced rules - but about 9 months or so ago (so was very rusty)... So for both of us it's was a learning/refresher type experience...

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 02:50
Thanks for sharing, John. How do you like playing with the full compliment of rules?

I quite enjoyed it Eric - although found the crew action counters a bit 'fiddly' - I've played quite a few Nappie Naval rules over the years and my favourite has always been Langton's full HTSFCA set (not the CA fast play version), and this gives that sort of detailed ffel without being overly complex...

We did not play the 'Give the Crew Run' action as my opponent Joel does not like that one specific rule. We also forgot the initial broadside bonuses in the first game and as noted in game 2 I stuffed up the collision rules... On the whole I think they are all good and in theory 1 experienced player can manage 3 large vessels easily and not be too over worked to effectively command (i.e. plan tactics, etc)...

French gunners. :takecover:

Yeah indeed! :thumbsup: :bleh: :takecover:

P.S. I have photos of the 3rd and last game ready (probably the most interesting of the 3) - so should have the 3rd post up on my blog by the weekend...

Mycenius
03-14-2015, 20:11
And here's the final of the trio: Un Trio de Batailles Navales (3) (http://wargaming.info/2015/un-trio-de-batailles-navales-3/) - a close run thing...

Bligh
08-09-2015, 12:49
Very full accounts John.For me the highlight of the actions was that fire on the HMS Defence.
Well worth some Rep.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-16-2015, 16:52
Nice accounts of purely simple engagements that prove the game can be just as fun 1 on 1 than it is with multiple ship actions. Love the flame used in 1 and 2.