PDA

View Full Version : Chits, Printable Charts, or Laminated Reusable Charts?

HMS Lydia
03-06-2015, 06:26
So the question of preferred method of damage and action record keeping came up. It would be interesting to see what method people would prefer. I am partial to the laminated ship card, and believe that Ares could have offered these as an optional accessory. Hopefully, we'll get enough responses to see if a ship chart expansion product would be viable.

1. Play with Chits as game printed.
2. Play with Printable paper charts and pencil.
3. Play with custom laminated reusable charts.
4. Other (Please state system in forum post, for instance app on smart phone).

TexaS
03-06-2015, 07:26
I put printable paper, even though I myself use an app on my iPhone. It's my game and miniatures that get used and therefore I supply printed papers to other players too.

John Paul
03-06-2015, 18:22
I readily admit I'm a bit of a purist, so I started playing the game as designed. However, as I've gone on collecting ships I've come to see that with printable ship mats I could actually have more variety in the game even if the actual ships I'd like to have aren't yet available! I'm not savvy enough to design the ship mats myself, so I'm reliant on the members around here who have done that work, but I can say I like the idea of paper over the current game design!!

Bob,

In line with this poll there should be another poll asking "Do you recycle chits after every turn's draw?", or "Do you remove drawn chits once they've been picked!"

Of course this would only pertain to those folks who are using paper ship mats and mark off the boxes as they are filled. As those who use the cardboard mats would be using the chits on their mats as they are drawn. Unless of course, those folks are using another method with the chits on the mat. I guess that would classify as an "Other Method"!!

HMS Lydia
03-07-2015, 04:09
In line with this poll there should be another poll asking "Do you recycle chits after every turn's draw?", or "Do you remove drawn chits once they've been picked!"

Of course this would only pertain to those folks who are using paper ship mats and mark off the boxes as they are filled. As those who use the cardboard mats would be using the chits on their mats as they are drawn. Unless of course, those folks are using another method with the chits on the mat. I guess that would classify as an "Other Method"!!

Yes, I agree, this would make a good poll also. I have always taken damage ships and held them out of the bag. I have played a 9 vs 9 game, and two chit sets were adequate for the battle without ever having to reconstitute the bags. But I have read where others are putting chits back to maintain the the statistical draw. I have to say I prefer that method. I would also like to build a special chit set that increases the amount of mast damage draws.

TexaS
03-07-2015, 04:14
Yes. Replace the chits and remove all fire and leak special damage from the second set of chits.

I haven't played with it yet, but a good idea I snatched up here on the anchorage.

7eat51
03-07-2015, 07:17
Last year, we used laminated mats at Origins, not thinking we would adopt that going forward. After Origins, we never returned to Ares' design. I, also, like the idea of paper mats, and will adopt that method along with clipboards when we don't have time for laminating.

We replace chits after every draw.

Dobbs
03-07-2015, 15:51
I like the fiddly bits. I do keep them in a small tupperware bin to draw from, and have other chits for marking damage, thusly maintaining something like a stable probability curve. I followed the suggestion of attaching the ship mat to a piece of varnished 1/4"plywood and was very satisfied with the results.

David Manley
03-07-2015, 21:16
For AoS gaming I prefer paper logs

But

I like to play the rules as written (house rules excepted) of at least the style of the RAW hence for SGN I'd stick with fiddly bits

DeRuyter
03-10-2015, 10:41
I just got back from a convention and used the laminated logs. IMO it is a good solution for a convention game with 6-10 players.

HMS Lydia
03-11-2015, 06:42
Interesting, this has broken down 50-50 so far, chits versus no chits. Although the sampling is awful small. I have run up to a 9 ship versus 9 ship game. Each player handled 3 ships. The non-chit record keeping makes operating multiple ships so much easier. The 9x9 game I ran concluded in 3.5 hours, with a clear victor. Each side had 2 x 1st Rates, 4 x 3rd rates, and 3 x frigates. This game was an attempt to strain record keeping to the extreme.

The Royal Hajj
03-13-2015, 09:53
Or a Quarterdeck accessory that has a built in "reusable ship chart" that works with dry erase markers.....

Comte de Brueys
03-17-2015, 05:43
I play it with the original stuff.

Bligh
03-17-2015, 14:48
For small games at home I play with the standard setup.
If I were running a game at a convention the laminated board with felt tip would be mandatory, after using such in Wings. it halves the playing time in a large game and also the changeover time between games.
All my ships have dedicated Logs and a set of ships chits kept in the box with the ship. Again saving a lot of sorting time.
Bligh.

HMS Lydia
03-20-2015, 07:37
13 Chits/10 not chits Split...

Mycenius
03-20-2015, 15:05
I'm in the former - I can live with the Chits for now - at least until I've got a decent multiple brace of games under my belt...

John Paul
03-20-2015, 23:00
What the chit??? :happy: Well, I just figured someone would say it sooner or later!!!

I am leaning toward using wooden cube markers to fill the boxes as they are filled rather then keeping the chits on the mats! I just haven't decided as yet when I put the chits back in the Draw pile other when a ship is taken completely out!