PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Find!

John Paul
03-02-2015, 02:42
While going through a box of old computer games I had out in the garage, as I was thinking of just tossing them because I don't think they would play well on todays computers. I discovered a copy of the strategy Guide for "Age of Sail II" produced by Prima Publishing. For those that may not know of it "Age of Sail II" was a Talonsoft game covering fighting in the AoS in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was highly touted as one of the best graphics, and finest playing games of the time! As those who may have owned it might tell you it was also one of the buggiest and unplayable games of it's day!! It was more an exercise in frustration then it was a game, and had no business ever being released. So much for the game!

Anyway, the Strategy Guide, which in fact offered barely any strategy it did provide most of the basic details for all the scenarios included in the game. There are 100 scenarios in the book most of them being one on one affairs of the well known Frigate versus Frigate actions during the period. There are several multiple ship on ship actions like two British 74s taking on six French Frigates of various gun sizes. Also included are just about all the Major Battles during such as the First of June, Cuddalore, and of course Trafalgar. The scenarios offer only basic information as to how the action began, and who the historical victor was in a short introductory paragraph. This is followed with the Order of Battle for each side and some basic strategy in how to play the computer scenario. For instance in the action where 6 French Frigates run into 2 British 74s at early dawn it is suggested the frigates stay out of range from the guns of the larger British ships, while attempting to get into position for raking shots. Or they should attempt to out run the slower enemy vessels! Really! :shock: :hmmm: :smack:

Also provided for each scenario is a screen shot from the computer showing the starting positions for all the ships. Unfortunately the scenario write up provides no information that you could use to translate the starting positions for a table top game, but a little research in some reference material might aide in that regard. If you ever owned a copy of "Age of Sail II", or might still have a copy of the strategy book stashed away some place you might want to dig it out if your looking for some scenarios. The book has long been out of print, but if you'd like to find one look around in some of the old computer stores in town, yard sales, or maybe the local library will still have a copy. If you want some scenarios it at least gives you a good starting point! Sail Ho!!

Naharaht
03-02-2015, 08:09
That sounds interesting, as you said.

Amazon still offer it for sale. http://www.amazon.com/Age-Of-Sail-2-PC/dp/B00004U8K0

Nightmoss
03-02-2015, 09:05
I owned Age of Sail 2 and probably still have the disks somewhere. Was the strategy guide part of the PC game or a separate purchase? I cannot recall the book in question, but I'll head down to the freezing cold basement shortly to see if I can locate game, books, etc. Thanks for the tip. :hatsoff:

John Paul
03-03-2015, 00:08
Jim,

The book I wrote about was sold separately from the game. Prima was one of the main publishers of Strategy Guides for most of the popular computer games back then. The link that David provided above for Amazon is only for the game, which you can still find on the secondary market. I'll try an look up the publisher on the internet an see what I can find as far as availability of the book.

John Paul
03-03-2015, 00:36
Well after a few searches on the net I finally did find the following listing on Amazon! So if you want your very own copy have a go at the following!!

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Sail-Primas-Official-Strategy/dp/0761532595/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425367652&sr

Nightmoss
03-03-2015, 09:07
Thanks for the link Paul. I checked out one of our local used book dealers yesterday to see if they might have a copy of the Age of Sail 2 strategy guide. They've given up on selling used computer games, but still carry the strategy guides. They didn't have a copy in stock. I may try Half Price Books later or check out the Amazon purchase. Thanks again!

Gunner
03-03-2015, 15:41
I have Age of Sail II Privateer'a Bounty, anyone can have for $5 to cover shipping in the U.S.

John Paul
03-03-2015, 17:09
Thanks for the link Paul. I checked out one of our local used book dealers yesterday to see if they might have a copy of the Age of Sail 2 strategy guide. They've given up on selling used computer games, but still carry the strategy guides. They didn't have a copy in stock. I may try Half Price Books later or check out the Amazon purchase. Thanks again!

Jim,

You are welcome! If you read any of the comments on Amazon you'll understand why the only good thing in the book is the scenarios! They alone make it worth the discounted price! :thumbsup:

DeRuyter
03-04-2015, 09:24
I was a beta tester for Talonsoft on a number of their better games and sadly the original Age of Sail - if you think that AoS II was buggy that's nothing!! I remember getting a copy of the retail box and I don't think I even opened it! That was about the time that the original TS designers left anyway if I recall correctly.

John Paul
03-04-2015, 22:38
I tried playing AoS II a few times, and most of the time it ran OK, but there were times it would lock up, drop all the info in the current scenario one was playing, or as happened a couple of times when playing a one on one scenario the opposing ships actually would swap places in mid battle! At times it could be fun, but very often it was very frustrating! It was one of the reasons I eventually quit playing computer games all together! :dazed:

NimitsTexan
04-15-2015, 22:02
You can download a .pdf of the AoS strategy guide here: http://www.oldpcgaming.net/strategy-guides/

Cheaper even than Amazon.

Naharaht
04-15-2015, 22:26
Thank you for telling us about the Age of Sail Strategy Guide link, Thomas.

Gunner
04-15-2015, 23:12
You can download a .pdf of the AoS strategy guide here: http://www.oldpcgaming.net/strategy-guides/

Cheaper even than Amazon.

This is a great find. I hope Anchorage members take advantage of it.

John Paul
04-17-2015, 16:14
Ed, I couldn't agree more, as the scenarios alone make it as necessary an item as a Starter Set!!