PDA

View Full Version : March's Solo Mission -- Duty and Daring

Nightmoss
02-28-2015, 15:03
I'm still play testing the March Solo Scenario as I don't want this endeavor to be too easy. However, I will post a teaser photo so you can speculate as to what's in store. Fortuitously I just got some nice ideas from Rory for this particular effort. Stay tuned as I should have this ready in a few days. Cheers! :salute:

7eat51
03-01-2015, 06:26
We're using the initial release of the first rates? :wink:

Nightmoss
03-01-2015, 09:02
We're using the initial release of the first rates? :wink:

Or what's left of them? :wink:

Mycenius
03-01-2015, 14:24
She's a Prison Hulk or a wreck - needing assistance! :bleh:

7eat51
03-01-2015, 21:24
She's a cruse ship with an Italian captain?

Sorry, she is still upright.

Mycenius
03-02-2015, 02:37
She's a cruse ship with an Italian captain?

Or a Russian! :bleh:

TexaS
03-02-2015, 04:27
Nah... I don't think a Russian captain would cause so much damage. He'd just be passed out drunk. :rum::sleep:

Nightmoss
03-02-2015, 09:00
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Silly captains.

Mycenius
03-02-2015, 17:05
Nah... I don't think a Russian captain would cause so much damage. He'd just be passed out drunk. :rum::sleep:

You obviously haven't been on the Mikhail Lermontov when she's cruised down to Aotearoa!! :shock:

Nightmoss
03-05-2015, 13:28
I could probably continue play testing and tweaking this scenario indefinitely, but seeing as we're almost a full week into the month of March now it's time to put it up for other captains to have at it. Initially the scenario seemed far too easy for the player to achieve a victory. Now I'm not sure if I've made it too difficult for the player? Reactions will be interesting to see. It also occurred to me that this scenario could probably be reversed for playing purpose; the Player would take the AI ships position and the AI the Players, but that's for later. For now I hope you'll enjoy the challenge and have some fun in the process? Feel free to post questions and comments. As a work in progress the solo rules will continue to be fine tuned as we move through the remainder of this year. Cheers! :salute:

Nightmoss
03-05-2015, 13:29
Reserved for Questions, Clarifications, etc.

1. On the Turn the AI ship appears does it also get to move (or does it just appear at the table edge)? I assumed it moves. Yes, it moves on the turn it arrives.
2. Special Damage risk of breaking the tow rope - does this exclude the Crew special damage since they do normal damage? I assumed yes (i.e. only rudders, masts, fires, etc, that you are ignoring risk a tow rope break). Yes, crew special damage is excluded. Only rudders, masts, fires, etc., apply.
3. Pretty obvious I think but assumed Disengagement couldn't apply to the 1st Rate being salvaged for obvious reasons - no sails! Correct. Disengagement does not apply to the damaged 1st Rate.
4. First Rate placement measurements are off. Should be roughly 7 1/2 inches from north edge and 9 1/2 inches from east edge (2 grid lines down from top and 2 grind lines from right edge).

Mycenius
03-05-2015, 18:04
Nice. :thumbsup:

Union Jack
03-07-2015, 09:03
A nice carry on from Hearts of Oak methinks, nicely done.

Mycenius
03-17-2015, 01:41
Jim,

I played this tonight and have 2 quick clarification questions for (i.e. to help) other players:

On the Turn the AI ship appears does it also get to move (or does it just appear at the table edge)? I assumed it moves.
Special Damage risk of breaking the tow rope - does this exclude the Crew special damage since they do normal damage? I assumed yes (i.e. only rudders, masts, fires, etc, that you are ignoring risk a tow rope break).

AAR to come soon...

EDIT: Sorry 3 items:

3. Pretty obvious I think but assumed Disengagement couldn't apply to the 1st Rate being salvaged for obvious reasons - no sails! :wink:

TexaS
03-17-2015, 01:53
Interesting!

Now Captain Wentworth may loose his price. :shock::moneygone:

TexaS
03-28-2015, 14:20
Is it really 7 1/2 inch 14 1/2 inch (19 cm and 37 cm) from the edges? I find that to be close to the center of the playing area, not at all as shown in the diagram. 37 cm is more than a third of the total of 98 cm leangth of the "map".

Nightmoss
03-28-2015, 19:58
Is it really 7 1/2 inch 14 1/2 inch (19 cm and 37 cm) from the edges? I find that to be close to the center of the playing area, not at all as shown in the diagram. 37 cm is more than a third of the total of 98 cm leangth of the "map".

See clarification in Post #11. 7 1/2 down and 9/12 from right.

TexaS
03-29-2015, 01:03
Thank you!

I often say: "The eyes are the first thing that becomes blind." I think it works better in Swedish...

TexaS
03-29-2015, 03:15
It's done. I've played it.
:shock: 125 pictures... That'll be a long AAR...

Nightmoss
06-12-2015, 12:10
I finished my mission yesterday; 28 turns, six hours of moves/documentation and over 50 photos. More importantly based on my experiences I do wonder if the scenario needs an addendum or some fine tuning? I'm going to work on the AAR this afternoon, but will keep it very short pending some consideration of changes I might need to add for anyone else who hasn't tried it yet.

I'm going to call it "Duty and Daring--On the Rocks", which should give you some idea of what occurred during the game.

7eat51
06-12-2015, 21:13
Looking forward to reading your AAR, Jim.

I'll be sailing February's next week. Then, I'll be onto this bad boy.

I don't remember if April's is written. It is nice to have time to dedicate to this again.

I told most of the folks playing at Origins about the solo rules and campaign. Many seemed quite interested. I think it could have swayed a couple to purchase the game, being solo gamers themselves. I am very proud of the work folks here have done on this, thus far.

Nightmoss
06-13-2015, 09:34
Looking forward to reading your AAR, Jim.

I'll be sailing February's next week. Then, I'll be onto this bad boy.

I don't remember if April's is written. It is nice to have time to dedicate to this again.

I told most of the folks playing at Origins about the solo rules and campaign. Many seemed quite interested. I think it could have swayed a couple to purchase the game, being solo gamers themselves. I am very proud of the work folks here have done on this, thus far.

I'll probably get the AAR up later this weekend. I didn't like how the photos turned out so I'm redoing most of the write up.

Ironically, I reread my own rules and realized that I'd made this mission significantly harder to win. When special damage occurs during the towing of the damaged 1st Rate you have to roll a D6 to see if the rope is severed. I was automatically severing the rope on any special damage. :shock: Two successful tows were broken, which led to events I'll post up soon.