PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetrical Ship Stats?

Mycenius
02-27-2015, 15:21
Avast, me hearties!

:question:

Can anyone explain to me the official logic behind the asymmetrical ship tracks for Hull Damage? Most notably on the British Vessels? I realise this may simply be to provide a more graduated reduction in firepower, but seems a bit arbitrary when one part of the vessel gets reduced and not the other? Also I'm not aware of any special armament that would suggest this type of stat, and I read elsewhere on here (I believe) that there was supposedly no recognition of national stats in the vessels (the British were undoubtedly the best gunners - so is this actually a British superiority factor)?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere - did a bit of a search but couldn't turn up a thread on this!

fredmiracle
02-27-2015, 15:36
well, those are the bow and stern gunnery values, so one might not necessary expect symmetry. I.e., it's not as odd as it would be if the port had better gunnery than the starboard.

I guess theoretically there could be some justification as to whether more guns (carronades?) are located on the forecastle or stern, or whether the guns had better angles forward or aft, etc. But in practice the small fluctuations in gunnery values appear pretty arbitrary to me...

Mycenius
02-27-2015, 16:18
well, those are the bow and stern gunnery values, so one might not necessary expect symmetry. I.e., it's not as odd as it would be if the port had better gunnery than the starboard.

I guess theoretically there could be some justification as to whether more guns (carronades?) are located on the forecastle or stern, or whether the guns had better angles forward or aft, etc. But in practice the small fluctuations in gunnery values appear pretty arbitrary to me...

True - fair enough Fred - it's probably a bit more obvious than I thought in hindsight!

:shock:

Mycenius
02-28-2015, 00:52
FWIW Fred I figured out why it originally seemed odd to me - I was reading the figures back to front in my game yesterday (see my "AAR: Jan 2015 - When the Fog Lifts - A Dark Day For France" Thread, Post #4 (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3118-AAR-Jan-2015-When-the-Fog-Lifts-A-Dark-Day-For-France&p=44214&viewfull=1#post44214)) - i.e. right as bow and left as stern (despite the ship silhouette pointing the other direction - so when the asymmetrical values were present it made it look like a heavier battery was in the bow than the stern)! Doh!

:embarass: :help: :dazed: