PDA

View Full Version : Reprints available

Capn Duff
02-19-2015, 03:55
Guys IGUK have a couple, literally, of the new Spanish reprints SoL and Frigate, also the new reprint Brit frigate but cannot find the Brit SoL.
So they are in UK and available, got my first Spanish ships today :)

David Manley
02-19-2015, 05:20
Mine arrived today - well 75% did, one of my Spanish frigates was missing.

What did arrive looks rather nice though :happy:

7eat51
02-19-2015, 10:18
Mine arrived today - well 75% did, one of my Spanish frigates was missing.

What did arrive looks rather nice though :happy:

Are the differences with the Spanish noticeable enough to expand one's collection? I am not looking to be a completest; I question how many of the same sculpt I need/want, but if the ships look different enough due to paints, I will definitely consider.

Capn Duff
02-19-2015, 10:55
I must admit to be a tad disappointed with the paintwork of the Spanish SoL. The hull paintwork is ok and for me, sufficiently different to stand out amongst my other models.
However the really bare minimum of work/ effort evident on the masts is not good for me.
The yellow of the mast covers only the mast tip and below the sail to the deck, the rest is white plastic. What bit of black there is is a simple wipe of the bristles along the edge of the mast joints and fighting tops. I will paint it myself , but at £16 for the SoL will make me think twice about doubling up as I have been.

fredmiracle
02-19-2015, 10:59
Are the differences with the Spanish noticeable enough to expand one's collection? ... if the ships look different enough due to paints, I will definitely consider.

From a stats standpoint, as expected, none of the 4 new ships are meaningfully different than what we had.

From an appearance perspective (which I think is what you are asking), I haven't pulled out the old ships to do a close comparison, but the new one that clearly stood out for me is Argonauta. I would definitely buy that if you want another 3rd rate. The light blue color is new (and bright but in my view not garish), but in addition I find the deck color scheme of light tan, warm brown, black guns and a hint of reddish color has above-average appeal. It will be one of my preferred 3rd rates to put on the table.

The rest are nice enough--I do find I appreciate even the small variations when I have several SOLs deployed at once. But I didn't find any of them to be standouts. Iphigenia looks good next to Argonauta, but is fairly undistinguished. Zealous has rusty-red boats, which is fairly new, especially for the British, but I was kind of ambivalent about it, since I've come to associate red trim and boats with the French (albeit usually a brighter, truer red). Orpheus seemed, frankly, a bit drab.

fredmiracle
02-19-2015, 11:03
the really bare minimum of work/ effort evident on the masts is not good for me.
The yellow of the mast covers only the mast tip and below the sail to the deck, the rest is white plastic. What bit of black there is is a simple wipe of the bristles along the edge of the mast joints and fighting tops.

Huh, maybe you got a dud? The sails & masts paintwork on the ones I received were no better and no worse than the previous SGN ships. Granted that leaves a great deal to be desired, but I don't see any tail-off in quality...

Capn Duff
02-19-2015, 13:12
Hi Fred, maybe you are right, it is the worst I have received, I am expecting one from the AA stores so will compare then

David Manley
02-19-2015, 13:47
Are the differences with the Spanish noticeable enough to expand one's collection? I am not looking to be a completest; I question how many of the same sculpt I need/want, but if the ships look different enough due to paints, I will definitely consider.

I'd say yes, as well as the obvious ensigns the style of the paint jobs has a certain distinctiveness.

7eat51
02-20-2015, 23:05
Thank you for the replies/opinions on the paints. :hatsoff:

Capn Duff
02-24-2015, 06:31
Huh, maybe you got a dud? The sails & masts paintwork on the ones I received were no better and no worse than the previous SGN ships. Granted that leaves a great deal to be desired, but I don't see any tail-off in quality...

Received my models from the Anchorage store, the Spanish SoL was an awful lot better than the one
I received from UK store, so looks like that was a Friday afternoon paint job.
I shall be repainting the yards and masts, but for my demo game this weekend I got a small Spanish squadron now.
Strangely enough I still have not seen advertised the British SoL reprint, the Frigate yes but not the SoL

Jason
02-24-2015, 07:30
I have just noticed that Spanish vessels and the British frigate is available at the only retailer that sells it here in poland. The 1rst wave reprint is nowhere on the horizon.

TexaS
02-24-2015, 08:17
But those are the first wave reprints. :question:

Jason
02-24-2015, 08:56
From what Ares wrote on their facebook page, I believe that these (spanish ships) are "repaints", but they are also going to restock "reprinted" ships from the first wave (like Concorde, Hermione or Berwick) as well as the starter set. I am eagerly looking forward to that, as I have only managed to buy a second-hand Starter set and a couple of ships that were left in stock - now the retailers in Poland are all-empty.

fredmiracle
02-24-2015, 09:16
It appears the original wave 1 ships are available through retailers in the USA, and that they all came at the same time as the "new" Spanish and British ones. Perhaps this retailer in Poland thought the reissues would not sell well, and declined to stock them? Maybe you could ask them to order a few of them as well?

Jason
02-24-2015, 10:21
I've bugging them for like two months, and the answer is always that they want to but the producer doesn't have them available yet. Can anyone in Europe confirm a restock of original product line besides the spanish ships?

Nightmoss
02-24-2015, 11:00
I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the Wave 1 "reprints" and the new "repaints" didn't arrive into the US Fort Wayne warehouse until the very end of December 2014. Initially I think Ares wanted to hold the "reprints" and "repaints" until the Victory and Constitution arrived in the US. Due to US West Coast port issues they finally decided to let the "repaints" loose on February 9th, which is when some online retailers also listed large restocks of the Wave 1 ships, which I'm assuming were the "reprints" many folks were also waiting for. Even if you are seeing the new "repaints" in Europe it might be several more weeks before retailers there order restocks of the Wave 1 "reprints". I wouldn't think that they've sold out of the next "reprint" already, but I suppose it's possible?

Naharaht
02-24-2015, 18:03
H.M.S. Zealous the 'new' British 74 appears to be in short supply over here in the U.K..