PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on the new ships

fredmiracle
02-16-2015, 16:34
Well, there's not too much to say since they are fairly vanilla reprints of what we have, but I had a few small thoughts about the 4 new paint jobs and 8 new ships:

1) Surprised to see Heroe is listed as an 80 gun ship. It is slightly better than most of the Temerieres but still lagging the super-standouts Redoubtable and Impetueux. Presumably the "real" 80 gun ships (i.e. Tonnant) will be noticeably better?

2) Generally the models are visually pleasant, but undistinguished. The exception is Argonaut/Heroe, which I felt is very nice looking in person. I suppose it may be called out for "crayon colors" by some, but I thought the light blue is appealing and I also like the combination of light tan and dark on the deck.

3) Generally the new ships' stats fall right in the range established by the existing sisters. As usual, the differences are no more than a couple of gunnery or musketry factors scattered here and there. Superb is, only just barely, the best of the Arrogant/Bellona/Elizabeth/Edgar line. The others are either totally average (Argonauta, Zealous) or pushing toward the upper end of the class without expanding it (Heroe, Sirena, Ifigenia, Orpheus, Amphion).

4) The Spanish vessels seem right on a par with comparable ships. Given that the designers are focusing on physical characteristics and not crew, and these ships were French retreads, that is to be expected. The only exception is that 3 of the 4 Spanish ships do have a slight advantage in musketry.

5) Masts seem sturdy

Nightmoss
02-16-2015, 19:24
Well, there's not too much to say since they are fairly vanilla reprints of what we have, but I had a few small thoughts about the 4 new paint jobs and 8 new ships:

1) Surprised to see Heroe is listed as an 80 gun ship. It is slightly better than most of the Temerieres but still lagging the super-standouts Redoubtable and Impetueux. Presumably the "real" 80 gun ships (i.e. Tonnant) will be noticeably better?

2) Generally the models are visually pleasant, but undistinguished. The exception is Argonaut/Heroe, which I felt is very nice looking in person. I suppose it may be called out for "crayon colors" by some, but I thought the light blue is appealing and I also like the combination of light tan and dark on the deck.

3) Generally the new ships' stats fall right in the range established by the existing sisters. As usual, the differences are no more than a couple of gunnery or musketry factors scattered here and there. Superb is, only just barely, the best of the Arrogant/Bellona/Elizabeth/Edgar line. The others are either totally average (Argonauta, Zealous) or pushing toward the upper end of the class without expanding it (Heroe, Sirena, Ifigenia, Orpheus, Amphion).

4) The Spanish vessels seem right on a par with comparable ships. Given that the designers are focusing on physical characteristics and not crew, and these ships were French retreads, that is to be expected. The only exception is that 3 of the 4 Spanish ships do have a slight advantage in musketry.

5) Masts seem sturdy

Thanks Fred. I received my four ships late today, but haven't had time to take them out of the box. The masts do look good viewed from outside and most notable are the new plastic shields to keep the ships firmly locked into place.